Gransnet forums

Chat

Part anyone?

(43 Posts)
Teetime Sat 04-Jul-15 11:22:36

As I was reflecting on my attitude to my increasing age I wondered when it was and how it was that began to dislike parties. Next year DH reaches a landmark birthday and its me rather than him (and he is no party animal) that is shuddering at the thought of a party. The year after next we will have our 40th wedding anniversary. Both DDs are clamouring for parties for both events but I'd rather leave the country. Am I being curmudgeonly in my old age, I used to love a party now I don't know what to say to anyone, don't fancy drinking or eating the food and usually hate the music. Is it just me?

bramblelover Sun 05-Jul-15 20:44:35

I was 70 last November but feeling low as my beloved neice had died of breast cancer in October.She was doing so well but suddenly became ill and a few days later it was all over.I had no desire to celebrate but 3 days before my birthday I said" let's go to Barcelona". We took the train from our local station here in the south of France and a couple of hours later we arrived at Barcelona station. One stop on the metro then 100 yard walk to the hotel .The hotel was brilliant and just 5 mins from Las Ramblas. Just a,couple of nights but it was exactly what I needed. The staff were lovely and when DH whispered it was my 70th they said " no not possible . " and when we got the bill the breakfasts 4 x 19 euros had not been added.We love doing things at the last minute and that's the way we intend to celebrate in future.

seasider Sun 05-Jul-15 20:25:17

I am with Maggie and Jane. I love parties and I am happy to organise them for other people too! Even my pretty boring DP will dress up . We went to a Greek themed party recently as Demis Roussos and Nana Miskouri

apricot Sun 05-Jul-15 20:22:15

I'm a teetotal, introverted, classical music lover who's never danced since ballet class age 9 so I'd loathe any form of party.
I do love having family and friends to tea or going out for a celebratory meal.
We're all different.

Jane10 Sun 05-Jul-15 09:13:55

Gosh- a refreshed hip! There'll be no stopping you after that!

Stansgran Sun 05-Jul-15 09:10:20

My 70th is coming up shortly and no one has mentioned anything though DH has been looking secretively at hotels in Fiesole but that was before we decided I needed my hip refreshing. I'm wondering whether to book a few days for him and me with a river and a ghillie so he can have a quiet fish to thank him for putting up with me for so long. We also have a 40 something wedding anniversary. I'm sure our children will not know either date.

HappyNan1 Sun 05-Jul-15 08:02:24

You look lovely Galen as does the cake.

I like a good ceilidh. Can't fly round the fast dances quite so well now but give it a good try. I love the music and atmosphere and they suit ages 3 - 90.

Galen Sat 04-Jul-15 17:40:35

smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 04-Jul-15 17:34:45

Nice pic Galen. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 04-Jul-15 17:34:10

Much prefer little family gatherings. Just us, the kids, and the GSs. Can't be doing with 'parties' anymore. Well, never have liked them. I love having the family altogether for birthdays, with pressies, cake, choccie fingers, and party rings. And a nice trifle made by DD2.

janeainsworth Sat 04-Jul-15 17:21:26

Maggiemaybe You're not the only one - I love parties too, provided the right people, the right food and the right music are all there!
Of course it's the host/hostess's job to make sure this happens and no one is left in a corner by themselves, or having to talk to someone boring. Not that one has any boring friends of course wink
winewine

ninathenana Sat 04-Jul-15 16:46:44

I haven't been to a party as such for over 20 yrs and that was my 40th. Never again !
At a good friends DD wedding last year, the dance room was virtually deserted with most of her generation at the roulette table she laid on and her mum and our generation sitting in a quiet room in a large circle having a good laugh and a few drinks, which suited me.

Galen Sat 04-Jul-15 16:39:31

Thanks! Please note I did wear pearlsgrin

thatbags Sat 04-Jul-15 16:27:21

Lovely pic, galen.

Lona Sat 04-Jul-15 16:27:11

What do you mean, you didn't?

Lona Sat 04-Jul-15 16:25:22

Not allowed now he's married roses! wink

I loathe parties, especially 'surprise' ones and fancy dress!shock
All that fake conversation, I get bored and have to leave! and you thought I was such a nice person!
grin

rosesarered Sat 04-Jul-15 15:07:20

Oh Teetime, not George Clooney again? that poor man never gets any rest.grin

Teetime Sat 04-Jul-15 15:04:31

Galen you are a stunner! What a lovely way to celebrate too and a wonderful cake.

Now if it was a party I'd choose what would I have- a blusey jazz pianist (not too modern) Italian food, a really good Sancerre - juts me and one other guest - not saying who! smile

rosesarered Sat 04-Jul-15 14:34:28

Having had to go to lots of parties over the years, I enjoy the ones that don't involve loud music now.Wedding receptions all seem to have loud music blaring out too, so count those as parties. being forced to lip read a complete stranger's conversation and then yell back an answer while holding a glass of warm white wine should be reserved for one of those circles of Hell. all while wearing an 'outfit' and heeled shoes.
Booking a table/tables for the family and a lovely meal, or inviting everyone for a BBQ and being informal, are the way we do things now.

KatyK Sat 04-Jul-15 14:33:28

Chance would be a fine thing. I can't remember the last time anyone invited us to a party! sad

janerowena Sat 04-Jul-15 14:32:17

I was rather hoping for a new and unwanted body part, teetime! A hip or a knee would be lovely... grin

I am already starting to get hopeful 'will you be having a 60th?' from family. I say NO very loudly, and 'Don't you dare organise a surprise one' and other such things. I enjoyed my DD's 30th and danced for about two hours, but that's my limit. The thought of going to a party I couldn't leave when I wanted to would be horrible. We often just put in an appearance and leave after an hour.

J52 Sat 04-Jul-15 14:24:12

I would always prefer to go somewhere to celebrate significant birthdays/ anniversaries.
It gives you the opportunity for self indulgence and wonderful memories. Parties are nice, but to me not quite the same.

We usually have a family meal out, as well.

x

grrrranny Sat 04-Jul-15 14:12:31

Thought so

grrrranny Sat 04-Jul-15 14:12:03

'meh'? If that should be met Bellsnanna then I understand.

Maggiemaybe Sat 04-Jul-15 14:11:05

Teetime - surely if it's your party you can choose the food and music and get something you'll enjoy?

Galen Sat 04-Jul-15 14:09:57

I met!