Gransnet forums

Chat

How flipping much!!!

(34 Posts)
kittylester Mon 14-Sep-15 11:15:41

As I've mentioned maybe far too often, my carpets are a disgrace since having DD3 and 2DGC [aged 3 and 2] staying with us. I've eventually tracked down a carpet cleaner who has recently done the church and a friend's home carpets. His quote was £1400!!!! shock It does include all the carpets and 3 sofas but we don't live in flipping Buckingham Palace!

Has anyone any recommendations, please!

hildajenniJ Mon 14-Sep-15 11:29:11

Where I work they wanted the carpet in the staff dining room cleaned. The cleaning firm I work for does not have the equipment so our supervisor suggested hiring a carpet washer from Rug Doctor. My DH did so, and washed the carpet. (It's actually ancient carpet tiles). It wasn't too expensive, and handy as you can hire them from Tesco. It might be worth having a look, if you think you can manage doing it yourself.

Alea Mon 14-Sep-15 11:30:51

It would be cheaper to buy one of those V*x steam cleaners and DIY!

rosesarered Mon 14-Sep-15 11:31:38

I was going to suggest the same thing as Hilda.

Luckygirl Mon 14-Sep-15 11:36:11

Indeed you could buy one rather than hire at that price!

Is it possible to get more quotes?

LullyDully Mon 14-Sep-15 11:39:05

Do they clean carpets?

GillT57 Mon 14-Sep-15 12:01:22

That seems a rather silly quote, we had to have the carpets cleaned in our smallish rental flat as the tenant had chain smoked for 18 months angry. two rooms about 10 x 12 feet each, no furniture, but cost £100.00. Ring around for quotes.

gettingonabit Mon 14-Sep-15 12:18:27

That's shocking! My (large) living room costs about £50.

mcem Mon 14-Sep-15 12:18:39

Have used a company which I think is franchised nationally.
Try googling Chem-dry.

ninathenana Mon 14-Sep-15 12:25:19

kitty DD used a machine from "Rug Doctor" from Tesco on the light beige carpet in her rental. It did a good job.

Katek Mon 14-Sep-15 12:31:47

What?!? I've just had bedroom and sitting room done for £50-that quote is extortionate. Buy own machine or hire one in.

petra Mon 14-Sep-15 12:34:01

Buy a vax, they're great. We always clean carpets when we are going on holiday. It's the last thing we do before closing front door. That way you know that it's going to dry properly before you walk on it.

Ceesnan Mon 14-Sep-15 12:41:15

The Rug Doctor machines are excellent and leave your carpets much drier than the ones that you can buy, in my experience anyway. I hired one for two days and did the lounge/diner, hall, stairs and landing. The carpets came up like new and the cost of hiring the machine and detergent was about £40. This was about five years ago, don't know how much it would be these days, but certainly less than £1400 !

Teetime Mon 14-Sep-15 12:46:16

I think its always worth getting a professional clean. The Rug Doctor machine is too heavy for me and I thought the professional clean was much better and drier but I have certainly never paid anything like as much as that kitty. Can you get a few more quotes?

HappyNan1 Mon 14-Sep-15 13:10:02

I used a small local firm and he did stairs and three rooms for £80. He said that the big firms charge lots as they do big contracts. He did an excellent job. Sometimes the small local places are really good to use, he just called the company by his name then carpet cleaning, very small but did what he said. I found him on Google, put in the name of where I live and carpet cleaning.

kittylester Mon 14-Sep-15 13:12:07

mcem, it was Chemdry!

We have always used a man from the next village (we got him on recommendation) and, on his previous charges expected to pay around £250-300. I've rung him twice and he hasn't come back to us confused

I want a professional clean as some of the carpets are quite stained and, as it's the whole house, I doubt I'd find the time.

I am worried about asking any old company to quote as I think I might end up with carpets that have shrunk or being burnt by chemicals!

Tegan Mon 14-Sep-15 13:22:09

I had my hall,landing, stairs and living room done a few years ago and suspect that the mould I found in the living room is a result of furniture being put back onto slightly damp carpet [even though they used a very impressive machine to dry the carpet afterwards]. It was quite expensive and, in retrospect I now wish I'd just replaced the carpet..it wouldn't have cost a great deal more.

Teetime Mon 14-Sep-15 14:33:12

You have inspired me kitty to get mine done. they are all oatmeal all through the house and the ones that came with the house when we bought it new five years ago so although DH has been regularly spot cleaning and we don't have pets or wear shoes in the house inevitably over that time they will need a clean. I'll get a price and let you know how much they are charging here which isn't that far from you. Perhaps its regionally priced.

Teetime Mon 14-Sep-15 14:41:24

cleanerandclearer.co.uk have an impressive website with prices and seem to cover most areas and some good reviews - fully insured too. I'll try them.

apricot Mon 14-Sep-15 20:03:19

Once the carpets are cleaned impose some rules on the children. My grandchildren remove shoes (I expect everyone to do this but not everyone does) and they are never never allowed food or drinks anywhere except in the kitchen. This helps a lot to keep carpets clean.

Joelsnan Mon 14-Sep-15 21:37:45

Buy your own carpet washer, they are not much bigger than a vac. Cost around the same price as a vac and do a great job. I frequently dog sit a lovely but smelly spaniel that loves a walk in the fields.
As soon as he goes home my Bissell machine comes out and I go through the house. I am always amazed at the filth that comes out of the carpets, this despite there being only me in the house most if the time and I do vac often!
A bottle of the wash solution lasts ages and I can use the machine as often as I want. Trouble is my family have also seen its benefit so it is frequently borrowed.

rubylady Tue 15-Sep-15 00:29:50

Is that including new carpets?

If a workman doesn't want a job, they do tend to over quote so that you will say no. It has happened to me. I have used 1001 and got down on hands and knees before now but not any more. But ring round and get at least another two quotes to compare.

I have a very beefy gardener coming on Monday to sort out my back garden. Looking forward to it really and it is somewhat of a treat as I have done all the work on all houses myself up until now. Thankfully, my lovely dad has helped me with the cost of the labour of said hunk. If I don't post on anything next week, you will know why! wink

Greyduster Tue 15-Sep-15 08:04:29

I used to work for a very reputable carpet cleaning firm - now closed down. Even at today's prices you wouldn't have been paying that sort of price. As quoted, around fifty pounds a room is reasonable. When we moved into this house, the carpets downstairs were terribly stained and dirty. The previous owners had two small children. We yanked them up and put wooden flooring down. Now if things get spilled, it's no sweat. We hired a Rug Doctor to clean the upstairs ones, which hadn't had so much wear and tear, and the HS&L, and they came up very well. The machines are a heavy piece of kit though.

Anya Tue 15-Sep-15 08:26:19

I've got Karndean on all downstairs room Grayduster except the living room. We're thinking of taking up the carpet there and making it Karndean throughout the downstairs.

Would you recommend it then? DH is worried it will be 'cold' (? I don't follow his logic) but I've already bought a lovely big shaggy cream rug (unbeknownst to him) to make it seem cosy.

Iam64 Tue 15-Sep-15 08:43:31

Anya, we had a similar discussion about whether replacing the carpet in the back sitting room with wood would make it 'cold'. It didn't make it cold but it did make it so much easier to keep clean. We now only have carpet on the stairs and in the bedrooms. I'd never go back to carpeting downstairs, though I am a rug addict.