Gransnet forums

Chat

Old TV jingles

(122 Posts)
NannyJanny53 Mon 14-Sep-15 13:44:33

The thread about the cost of cleaning carpets set off the old '1001 cleans a big big carpet for less than half a crown' advert in my head and it made me wonder whether I was brainwashed by ITV as a child. I still believe a Mars a day helps me work rest and play and that Pal dog food prolongs active life! Anyone else still wondering where the yellow went after brushing their teeth with Pepsodent?

numberplease Wed 16-Sep-15 17:59:00

Who collected the little Wades Wimsey animals that were given away with Fairy liquid in 1963/4? I still have my kittens and bush babies, but the man on Antiques Roadshow said they were only worth £1 each! I thought they were going to turn out to be priceless antiques!

Nelliemoser Wed 16-Sep-15 18:36:09

daffydil How good to find someone else who really dislikes those breathless girly voices.

Nelliemoser Wed 16-Sep-15 18:47:41

Can't think of any that have not already been mentioned.

Cherrytree59 Wed 16-Sep-15 19:15:45

Might have been already mentioned. 'There's a hazalnut in every bite'. Bum diddy bum diddy bum (druming). AZTEC! Flash cleans baths with out scratching! Mild green fairy liquid...

f77ms Wed 16-Sep-15 19:37:52

You`ll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent

SueDoku Wed 16-Sep-15 20:34:47

Beer at home means Davenports
That's the beer, love to cheer
Finest malt with hops and wheat
Turns a drink into a treat.
Straight from brewery to your home
No delay, we'll deliver
Then you'll know why folks all say,
'Beer at home means DAVENPORTS'

My DHs DGF was delighted to discover Davenports home delivery service. He had 7 bottles of beer delivered - drank them all on the first night (getting completely blotto) and his wife cancelled the order the next day... grin

numberplease Wed 16-Sep-15 22:12:15

Do the shake and vac and put the freshness back, do the shake and vac and put the freshness back.

The wa`er in Majorca don`t taste like what it ough`er.

numberplease Wed 16-Sep-15 22:17:26

Have we had
I`d like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony......

Coffee tastes better with Coffeemate

feetlebaum Wed 16-Sep-15 23:04:15

I've been trying to find the words to Blue Mink's great commercials, that ended "There's still Cadbury's Chocolate. One of today's great tastes - Hm-hmm."

trisher Wed 16-Sep-15 23:29:01

Guinness is good for you
My Goodness, My Guinness
And there was a toucan with a glass of Guinness on its beak

feetlebaum Thu 17-Sep-15 07:45:20

@numberplease - The Wa'er in Majjorka one - what did it advertise? I know it featured Brian Pringle and Sylvestre la Touzel, and parodied My Fair Lady (which of course parodied Pygmalion) -- but what was it for?

annsixty Thu 17-Sep-15 08:15:46

Dr Google says it's Heineken feetle

Stansgran Thu 17-Sep-15 10:42:05

With Harris on the handle the bristles won't come out.
Price's night lights keep the spooks at bay

fluffy Thu 17-Sep-15 13:31:10

Long grain rice all the way from America
Red peppers green peppers
Juicy green beans
Carrots and peas and a pinch of seasoning!
Batchelors savoury rice!

Everyone's a fruit and nut case
Crazy for those cadburys nuts and raisins
When you've got your feet up
Whats the bar you eat up
Cadburys
Fruit
And
Nut! ( sang by Frank Muir)

trisher Thu 17-Sep-15 14:41:02

Not a song, but much hated by teachers because it ruined spellings
Drinka pinta milka day

gettingonabit Thu 17-Sep-15 16:08:47

Try the taste of Martini
The most beautiful taste in the world.
It's the bright taste, the right taste
That's Martini
(That's Martiiiiiiiniiiiiiiii...).

Why no more ads with tunes?

gettingonabit Thu 17-Sep-15 16:11:00

Just remembered the one for peanuts, sung to the Peanut Vendor song:

Golden Wonder, they're jungle fresh.
Golden Wonder, they're jungle fresh.
PEANUTS!

numberplease Thu 17-Sep-15 16:52:22

Sorry Feetle, I should have mentioned what it was for. I remembered it was for Heineken, but had forgotten the actors names.

gettingonabit Thu 17-Sep-15 17:40:22

Just remembered Hamlet Cigars (not sure if anyone's mentioned them) with the Rab C Nesbit actor and Air on a GString playing in the background....

Apart from the inevitable meerkats and Gio Compario I can't remember a single contemporary ad....

Auntieflo Thu 17-Sep-15 19:32:28

Oh Numberplease, I also collected Wade Whimsies, and had hundreds? I started off by putting them in the children's Christmas stockings in the 1960's, then found them in jumble sales, (remember them?), charity shops etc. I finally sold them all a couple of years ago to an avid collector. My daughter was cross, saying that I hadn't asked her! When I said " would she have wanted them" , she agreed that no, she wouldn't. The only one I kept was of a little cairn terrier in a basket, a reminder of our own cairn. On another tack altogether, does anyone remember the glue that we used in school in the 1950's ? It was in a tub, white, and smelled of marzipan, and we spread it with spatulas. I have asked friends but they can't recall who made it.

numberplease Thu 17-Sep-15 21:38:17

Auntieflo, I don`t have hundreds of Whimsies, only about 15, the first half dozen were the freebies from Fairy Liquid. I took them to the Antiques Roadshow when they were here about 5 years ago, and the "expert" said they were worth about £1 each, he wa very disparaging about them. I still have mine, and they are still on display on various little shelves around the house.
I remember that glue, but not who made it, sorry.
Sorry to have gone off track.

susiemac Fri 18-Sep-15 09:07:32

Johnson's are the polishes for furniture and floors

feetlebaum Sat 19-Sep-15 07:46:40

@annsixty - "Dr Google says it's Heineken feetle" Ah - thank you - that sounds about right!

Remember Peter Sellers voicing "Omo adds brightness to cleanness and whiteness!"?

"Cheese, please, Louise!"

feetlebaum Sat 19-Sep-15 07:50:10

Does anyone remember Sooty selling Oxo? In the runup to the opening of commercial TV in UK I was working as a studio boy in an advertising agency - we won an international prize for that Sooty campaign! I remember all the Oxo bigwigs in the board room being charmed by Harry Corbett and his little teddy bear...

ninathenana Sat 19-Sep-15 08:37:27

Nope can't say that I do feetlebum what decade was that ?