Gransnet forums

Chat

I always do it this way

(106 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sat 17-Oct-15 20:24:35

I always iron a shirt the same way. I iron it as I was shown in domestic science class.
I line a fruit cake baking tin, the way I was taught in the DS class
I always put on a fresh duvet cover the way it was shown many moons ago on the Tv programme 'That's Life' !
I am adaptable but these things never change.
Do any GNers still do things the way they were taught in their younger days?

rosesarered Tue 20-Oct-15 19:19:35

I do the duvet the Ana way ( grrr, thought it was MY way) and change the pillow cases by laying them on the bed, and slipping off the old ones and slipping on the new ones.Not in teeth!

mrsmopp Tue 20-Oct-15 18:29:54

I still found the duvet a bit tricky. I have very short arms and the duvet is king size. Perhaps I should climb into the duvet cover myself, and pull the duvet in behind me... Then wriggle out again. Hm.

When you change pillow slips do you hold the pillow in your teeth, hold the pillowslip open underneath then drop it in with a little shake? I used to watch my mum do that and have never done it any differently.

No duvets in my mum's day though - it was all blankets, eiderdown and candlewick bed spreads. Remember them? Not forgetting bri-nylon sheets from Brentford Nylons!

Ana Tue 20-Oct-15 17:38:31

Yeah - none of those fancy foreign ways in this house! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 20-Oct-15 17:12:37

The burrito way looks highly labour intensive!

I do it like Ana does. Reach corners of duvet up into corners of duvet cover, and shake.

mrsmopp Tue 20-Oct-15 17:02:37

I'm off to change the bed right now and try out this new way of doing the duvet. If it works, it might, just might get changed a bit more often!!
(slut)

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 20-Oct-15 16:21:28

I will definitely be trying the burrito method of changing a duvet cover. smile

Nanevon Tue 20-Oct-15 14:24:16

Loved the video on how to fold a fitted sheet - just tried it and it really works. Going to try putting the duvet on video next. Don't fold my towels the Anthea Turner way - no-one else but me looks in the airing cupboard.

PenJK50 Tue 20-Oct-15 14:20:45

Someone mentioned ironing duvet covers - we bought a throw so no more need to iron!

I also use my mother's method for ironing shirts.

Also the way to hang out washing - hate using my tumble drier. She taught me to put teaspoons into the toes of tights when you hang them on a line. It stops them blowing up and getting tangled with other items.

NfkDumpling Tue 20-Oct-15 13:44:36

Shirts - collar, yoke, sleeves then body. Never realised there was a different way. Socks, towels sheets, hanging out washing, all are done in resolutely the same way as my mother showed me.

However, I have changed to the burrito method for duvets covers. Much less hassle. I like to show I'm open to new ideas. When appropriate.

MaizieD Tue 20-Oct-15 13:26:51

DP irons his own shirts.

I only iron most things when I need them. Sometimes have a mad moment (every few years) and iron away to the bottom of the ironing basket. where I find things I'd forgotten I owned.

I do like ironing the white cotton cloths with deep crocheted borders that I inherited from DM & DGM. They're so beautiful and satisfying to work with.

Icyalittle Tue 20-Oct-15 12:25:19

I always 'balled' socks like others on the thread but then decided they look better, go in the drawers better, if they are flat. Pair the socks, fold in 3, fingers in top third of one to fold it out and over the rest. Voilà, nice flat socks, known as steamrollered socks in my family. (DH seems to own hundreds of pairs).
I think the shirt ironing order of collars and yoke first originated with flat irons when you started with the double fabric bits when the iron was hottest. I do it that way because my mum made me, and never thought to change
I do like a tidy airing cupboard, so keep all folds to the back like Anthea

Brupen Tue 20-Oct-15 12:07:42

I thought I was the only one avoiding housework like the plague!

Bellanonna Tue 20-Oct-15 09:45:16

I looked at that shysal. In fact there were a few video demonstrations including one by a small boy. The duvet looked a lot flatter than mine so perhaps that helped to make the demonstration look easy. I will try it, but meanwhile will let DH do it his way, over the landing bannisters as described above.

shysal Tue 20-Oct-15 08:52:20

Have a look at my link above for the burrito method, it looks so simple!

Elegran Mon 19-Oct-15 22:33:36

My method is similar to cherrytrees but I drape the duvet over the banister rail on the landing, put my hands inside the outside-in cover to the corners and grab the two nearest corners of the duvet. Then holding on tightly I lean over the banister and shake the cover down over the duvet. I haul it up without letting go and take it through onto the bed. The corners at the foot get tucked into the cover properly and the press-studs fastened.

It is even easier with two of you, one going into each corner. You then have two spare hands to hold and shake, and carry it into the bedroom. However, this is another of the many things I now have to do on my own.

mrsmopp Mon 19-Oct-15 21:53:15

I think our duvet covers are made all wrong. I saw an ad for one made in America which had a zip round three sides. Now that would be a doddle,wouldnt it??

Ana Mon 19-Oct-15 21:49:07

I don't turn my quilt cover inside out, but the same method still works! smile

Cherrytree59 Mon 19-Oct-15 21:40:44

Yes Ana sounds similar
first spread the inner quilt out on the bed
then turn the duvet cover inside out (I iron mine this way)
Reach in to the cover till you have a hand in each of the top corners
grab the bottom two corners 0f the quilt on the bed
and as Ana says shake
the quilt cover probably with bit help should now facing outwards
just pull down and place bottom quilt corners in to the cover

SORRY Mrsmopp
This is probably as clear as mud! confused

Ana Mon 19-Oct-15 21:22:09

One of the advantages of having long arms is that I've never had any problem changing duvet covers.

I won't describe my method in detail on here, but it involves holding the corners of the duvet and reaching into the duvet cover to its end corners. Take hands out, grip said stuffed corners from the outside and shake! grin

shysal Mon 19-Oct-15 21:14:00

I tried to find a video of the That's Life method, but all I found was the 'Burrito' technique, which I haven't seen before. Apparently this is now the only way to do it! No use to me as I sleep with only a sheet covering me.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRPfudNNd8Y

mrsmopp Mon 19-Oct-15 20:42:27

I'm curious about how That's Life showed you how to change a duvet cover because I always struggle with it. Is there really an easy way? Do tell and put me out of my misery. It's a job I hate!

tiggypiro Mon 19-Oct-15 20:21:52

I remember my mum ironing my dad's shirts. She only did the collar and a bit down the front as he never took his jacket off unless he was working (farmer) and it was very hot.
I have taken the next step and never buy anything that might need ironing (with the very occasional exception).

apricot Mon 19-Oct-15 18:54:56

Like poppycat, I had to wear white knickers under school navy ones but dear God not for as long as that! I got clean white knickers twice a week, navy ones and a clean bra once a week. On Sundays we wore "Sunday Best". I like ironing and started helping with the family's ironing when I was ten.

grandMattie Mon 19-Oct-15 18:00:21

PS I iron shirts my way - collar, yoke, sleeves and finally body; in winter, front and back together, in summer individually! wink

grandMattie Mon 19-Oct-15 17:58:58

Gosh! I taught myself everything as we had servants when I was growing up, so do things in a rather eccentric way.
I left home barely able to boil water, it was a very hard lesson to learn. My MiL thought i was just too exotic and foreign for her precious son, though she was grateful tome for making him happy. SHe hated the way I hung out the washing wink
Never use a sleeve board for ironing ladies' shirts - just iron them the opposite way to men's sleeves. Trousers and stuff that hang out with body warmth are unironed.
Yes, I do the socks the way mentioned, probably T-shirts the way Anthea Turner did them, without the template grin , though we didn't have TV for many years...
I do fold duvet covers inside out so they are easier to put in...
Whatever!
Me too, I am adaptable and always happy to learn stuff...