Gransnet forums

Chat

My life is full of 'beeps'.....

(19 Posts)
Iam64 Sat 24-Oct-15 09:59:22

The other evening I parked in one of those ancient underground car parks, where the spaces marked out are fine for the cars we drove in the 60's and 70's, small mini's and A 45s for example but too small for todays crop of huge cars. It was not a relaxing experience

Grannyknot Sat 24-Oct-15 09:12:29

Thanks Petra for the tip and others for your comments.

Our new (2nd hand) car also beeps seemingly incessantly, including when I am miles away from objects, so my "precision parking" skills are being undermined grin

Iam64 Sat 24-Oct-15 08:56:29

Oh yes, I loathe all the beeps that accompany us, dishwasher, washer, drier, mobiles but worst of all for me is my new car. I love the car, it doesn't rattle, the breaks work properly, it starts when I turn the key and I now feel safe driving on the motorway again. BUT reversing down the drive, parking anywhere and many other manoeuvres are all accompanied by beeping. I had even considered reading the huge book that came with the car so I could turn the beeps off. Driving a hire care recently made me realise how soon I've adjusted to beeps when parking, so that's another lot of beeps I'll be keeping grin

Judthepud2 Fri 23-Oct-15 23:32:29

Our SMART TV also has a wide range of beeps to indicate a range of activities. And Candy Crush on my phone and iPad beep when I have a full set of lives grin

Indinana Fri 23-Oct-15 21:27:28

My microwave sends out 5 beeps to signal the end of the programme. Five! If I'm in the kitchen I hit the stop button as it finishes. Of course that is another beep, but 4 fewer than if I don't hit it wink. Then the new soup maker beeps incessantly until I go in and tell it to shut up turn it off. The steamer beeps. The breadmaker beeps at various points in the process. My new sewing machine beeps when I turn it on, and each time I select a particular stitch it beeps with every press of a button.
My cameras don't beep. My Kindle doesn't beep. Nor do my washing machine or dishwasher - this, I am sure, is because they're both about 18 years old and beeps hadn't been invented back then grin.

Deedaa Fri 23-Oct-15 21:23:31

My dishwasher, coffee machine, electric milk frother and electric timer all beep at me - but very, very quietly! You have to be standing right next to them, in which case you might as well just watch them hmm

merlotgran Fri 23-Oct-15 21:23:01

My electric hob beeps at me if I give it a wipe with a damp dishcloth because it then likes to be gently dried with a tea towel....Wuss!!

My iron is always beeping at me because I go off and make a cuppa and it doesn't like being left alone even though it's not doing anything and I've left it in the upright position so it won't burn a hole in the ironing board.

It won't anyway because it switches itself off if not being 'dashed away with!'

The dratted thing is like a bossy MIL

rosequartz Fri 23-Oct-15 21:15:05

My new steamer has such a quiet 'beep' that I can barely hear it and didn't realise what it was at first.
DH's mobile used to give a whistle and I spent an anxious evening when he was out (and forgot to take it with him) thinking someone was in the house.
Usually when the washing machine or oven is beeping I tell it to shut up be quiet; the car beeped today which was just as well as the back door wasn't shut properly!

Katek Fri 23-Oct-15 20:55:17

A beeping end to my day as I shut down my laptop....yes, it too beeped at me.
Dd2 has a washing machine that plays music-would that be better or worse? Probably worse as we'd be surrounded by poor renditions of the Rite of Spring or Pachebel's Canon

stillhere Fri 23-Oct-15 19:48:47

I do have good hearing, sadly. It's a bit too good. I think it comes of years of listening out for teens coming in late and raiding fridges.

ninathenana Fri 23-Oct-15 16:49:41

Stillhere if your DH's phone is like mine it turns back on when I plug it into the charger.
You must have amazing hearing, I don't hear mine when it's downstairs certainly not if I'm asleep grin

petra Fri 23-Oct-15 16:20:37

Grannyknot. Just turn off your Wifi (on your phone) No more alerts, just an ordinary phone. Put it back on when you want necessary info.

Grannyknot Fri 23-Oct-15 14:19:30

... not to mention all the security passes, Oyster cards and "wave" cards. I once tried to into the office building where I worked by touching in with my Oyster card, and stood waving my (ahem) wave card at the lift (which also had secure access) to get up the my floor grin

stillhere Fri 23-Oct-15 14:09:01

One night I will end up crowning DBH with his mobile, he leaves it downstairs plugged in to charge, but rarely remembers to turn it off. If I ask him, he has always already done it. hmm At least once a week I end up going downstairs in the middle of the night because a notification of something or other comes through and wakes me.

Nelliemoser Fri 23-Oct-15 12:35:39

Grannyknot Beeps from mobiles etc etc. Yes they annoy me but do I put them on silent? No! I never quite get round to working out how to do it.

mollie Fri 23-Oct-15 12:14:43

It's awful, isn't it! Add to that all the PIN numbers and passwords we need to remember, it feels like we're being got at! Whatever happened to good old-fashioned peace? confused

Grannyknot Fri 23-Oct-15 10:55:29

kate you've left out the tyranny of the beeps from your mobile, mine beeps for: message, messenger, whatsapp, email delivery and facebook activity.

I haven't got the time to figure out how to turn the damn alerts off, so I just turn the phone on silent - always in trouble with husband over that because he phones me on his way home (a different time each day) to say "I'm just passing Waitrose, do we need anything?" (he still hasn't realised how organised I am, because the answer is always "No") grin

Indinana Fri 23-Oct-15 10:32:58

I agree, it is a beeping pain in the proverbial grin

Katek Fri 23-Oct-15 10:11:03

It starts with the alarm clock which will keep repeating its frenzied beeping until one of us switches it off. My fridge beeps if I don't close the door properly, my dishwasher, tumble drier and washing machine all beep when they're finished. In fact washing machine won't stop until I go and switch it off. My car beeps all the time from unlocking it to warnings to put on my seatbelt or please remove keycard. My supermarket trip is punctuated by distant sounds of beeping from the tills - then I get there and have to listen to perhaps 40 or so beeps until shopping is scanned. I go to the cash point....it beeps at me. When did all this beeping start?