Gransnet forums

Chat

Cake fail

(9 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 29-Oct-15 07:50:32

They were probably far from funny on the day but these wedding cake failures had me laughing out loud!

Cakes

grin

shysal Thu 29-Oct-15 07:54:01

About my standard, I would say. But then, I would never attempt a wedding cake. It isn't as easy as it looks!

Nelliemoser Thu 29-Oct-15 08:30:44

There is a link folks. I could not see at first and was puzzling about it.

SloeGinny Thu 29-Oct-15 08:50:44

Oh dear!

Cake decorating is not as easy as it looks, but these are shockingly bad.

Nonnie Thu 29-Oct-15 09:47:00

My GCs love my terrible attempts at birthday cakes. They tell me what they want and I do my best, unfortunately what they want is sometimes very complicated! I would never do a wedding cake unless the bride and groom knew how amateur I am. It would have to be very plain!

stillhere Thu 29-Oct-15 13:13:49

grin How awful! I suppose at least they had a cake - I can just imagine some poor inept person trying to fulfil an order because someone has let them down.

SloeGinny Thu 29-Oct-15 15:50:10

I think simple is the way to go Nonnie, fondant icing is very compliant when you need a flat finish, then embellish with something beautiful - flowers, ribbon, shapes cut from more fondant in another colour. I made my son and daughter in law's wedding cake, plain white decorated with calla lilies the same as the brides bouquet, it turned out well (thank heavens!)

I started with Royal Icing and always had to end up with snowstorms grin as I couldn't get the blessed stuff flat!

LullyDully Thu 29-Oct-15 19:33:44

I went to a wedding with a fruit cake which was very under cooked so the mixture was liquid. I felt so sorry. The cook worked in a hotel and it was a present!!

All very informal as the bride and groom still had their wet washing on the radiators!

Deedaa Thu 29-Oct-15 21:07:08

I feel so much better about the wedding cake I made for DD thlgrin Considering that she only gave us a month to organise the whole wedding it didn't look too bad at all - just a bit wobbly on the piping.