Gransnet forums

Chat

After liberty bodices...

(33 Posts)
annsixty Tue 24-Nov-15 20:51:14

We have had threads about clothing in past times but do other people remember Blakeys segs?
When I had new shoes ( and I was born before the war) with lovely shiny soles they were scored so I wouldn't slip and the heels had the segs put in for harder wear and I hated both. The only redeeming feature was that you could produce sparks on concrete.

rosequartz Wed 25-Nov-15 19:22:15

I never knew they were called 'segs'
My DF used to fit them for me onto the heels of my shoes.
DM used to make me go and scrape my new shoes on the concrete to 'rough them up' and make them less slippery!

Lona Wed 25-Nov-15 19:27:28

Labourers get "segs" on their hands too! Those hard lumps of skin.

annsixty Wed 25-Nov-15 19:28:50

As the OP, Minimouse, watching The Last Detective last evening and the reminder of Blakeys segs was the reason I started this thread, so well spotted.

Marelli Wed 25-Nov-15 20:47:23

Charleygirl, I'm from Fife, but can't remember them being called 'studs'.....but now you come to think of it, perhaps they were confused!
Whitewave, my mum used to cut the toes out of my Clarks sandals during the summer holidays, too, (and I was forever tripping up....)!

MiniMouse Wed 25-Nov-15 21:18:28

annsixty Do you think we should get out more? grin

MaizieD Thu 26-Nov-15 10:40:33

Lasts? I''ve got two. One inherited from my father and the other from DP's father. They are in the garden as I've no room at all for them in the house!

I didn't know those metal heel things were called 'segs'; I think we just called them heel tips. Yes, we had them and Dad used to put stick on soles on our new shoes to make them last longer.

Modern shoes aren't worth repairing, they're too flimsy.

Elegran Thu 26-Nov-15 11:34:53

I have two lasts as well, they make excellent doorstops. MaizieD Yours will be rusting away in the garden. If you don't want them give them to a folk museum or put them on Ebay.