Gransnet forums

Chat

Employment law

(30 Posts)
Charleygirl Sat 28-Nov-15 11:43:13

I know of somebody who has been working around 6 weeks for a well known chain. She expected to get 2 days off each week- not necessarily together. What she has been given is half days off. When she confronted her line manager, she was told that she had said at interview that she was flexible! She is having her first full day off next Tuesday- this cannot be right.

Is this legal, does anybody know?

gillybob Mon 30-Nov-15 10:04:27

My DD works for a well known coffee chain. She is a shift manager. She very rarely gets 2 days off in a row and at this time of year having a weekend day off is almost impossible and she is currenly working a six day week. Her store has a huge problem when employing students. Many of whom want the best days off (Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays) and are not prepared to work late on "student nights". My DD always tries to be very fair with the rota and always gives everyone WHOLE days off, not half days.

Charleygirl Mon 30-Nov-15 10:13:33

My friend was told that it would be months before she was given a weekend off but she accepted two days off each week, not necessarily together but that did not happen. She realises that she is bottom of the pecking order.

gillybob Mon 30-Nov-15 10:19:12

Well my DD has worked for her company for over 3 years and is still at the bottom of the pecking order when it comes to weekends off. She often does the rota and always has a huge number of requests for particular days off meaning that she often takes what's left and is often stuck with a Tuesday (apparently the worst day off). Having half days off is not fair.

Charleygirl Mon 30-Nov-15 12:58:23

Thanks everybody, I will keep you informed re the outcome but I think she should look elsewhere.