Gransnet forums

Chat

Great success!

(9 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 05-Dec-15 19:39:59

Just back from a village celebration that I organised in the church - my choir singing, other singers, Winnie the Pooh sketch, children playing the piano, the village band, lots of audience participation from children and adults and lots of ringing of bells. And lots of mince pies and mulled wine - and sweets for the children on their way out!

£200 raised to be split between the church and the school, and lots of fun had by all! Feet up now!

Auntieflo Sat 05-Dec-15 19:46:43

Well done and congratulations Luckgirl. We have got the annual Christmas Tree Festival, being held over 3 days, and usually raise lots of money for various charities. Loads of hard work put in by the faithful few.

Ana Sat 05-Dec-15 19:46:57

Well done, Luckygirl! tchsmile

Luckygirl Sat 05-Dec-15 19:59:34

Thanks both - it is a lovely way to start Christmas in the village - but I am truly knackered!

hildajenniJ Sat 05-Dec-15 22:38:52

How lovely luckygirl. Congratulations, I am so pleased that all your hard work paid off. It's lovely when a community all come together to celebrate.

annsixty Sat 05-Dec-15 22:50:19

Our large village/small town had organised the first Christmas event following on from the very successful carnival in July. Every year the local brass band do Carols in the Park and I have gone every year since 1999 this was to be part of today's event. It was cancelled due to the awful weather. So many people had put so much effort into it and I was so sad for them. Never the less I am so pleased your day went so well Luckygirl and good luck with future events.

Luckygirl Sat 05-Dec-15 23:02:05

Thanks Ann - it was pretty blowy here as well - I thought no-one would turn up. Sorry that your local event had to be cancelled. It is a shame when so much hard work will have gone into it.

whitewave Sat 05-Dec-15 23:05:57

We lived in Devon for a time and I used to love Christmas.

Every year we went around in 4 wheelers visiting remote farms etc and sing carols
O e year we had A hristmas Carol - Carol service. Everyo ne dressed up in character. Hot pasties and chestnuts a lovely time

Luckygirl Sat 05-Dec-15 23:09:56

Yes - it is nice when there are local rituals that set the season going. It is even nicer in the country because we all know each other - and the audience are very tolerant of minor hiccoughs!