Gransnet forums

Chat

It's such a warm December that...

(101 Posts)
JessM Sat 19-Dec-15 15:19:56

We don't need the heating on in the days - in fact I'm too hot in the house.
Its unbearably hot when you go into shops in outdoor clothes.
I went for a walk in a howling gale without doing up my coat.
I have stashed away the vests and thermal leggings.
Andll sorts of things are coming into bloom - campanula, wallflowers and these three cornered leeks that normally bloom in April-May.

HildaW Sat 19-Dec-15 15:24:12

And yet there was someone shopping in Herefordshire today wearing a fur hat and jacket....as if it was freezing!!! Me, I'm in a tee shirt with a thin Mac because its raining.

tanith Sat 19-Dec-15 15:26:44

Went to Tesco in just jeans and t-shirt this morning and there were people that with hats coats and scarves on.

I have a line full of lovely dry laundry that I need to take in... so nice to still be able to get my washing fully dry outside.

whitewave Sat 19-Dec-15 15:32:05

Daffs in bud before the snowdrops! Going to be a funny sort of spring.

stillhere Sat 19-Dec-15 15:34:19

I just went outside to dig up some parsnips - and the stinging nettle seedlings have taken off. It was a very painful process because I couldn't be bothered to go back to fetch gloves.
Yes, no heating on here, it's almost 17C even though it's getting dark, and I am considering changing our duvet back to summer weight tonight, I have been throwing it off every night. All the hellebores are in flower, the snowdrops are out and the aconites, daffodils are a foot high and tulips are well up. Roses and lavenders are in flower, as are DBH's alpine beds. Geranium Rozanne has never stopped. I love it, but it worries me.

merlotgran Sat 19-Dec-15 15:35:11

We've just come back from our village Christmas Market. It felt weird singing carols in jeans and T shirt.

kittylester Sat 19-Dec-15 15:39:06

It's not that warm here in Leicestershire! confused

tanith Sat 19-Dec-15 15:41:50

Its been 16 deg here , very odd indeed.

Juliette Sat 19-Dec-15 15:44:23

....nor here kittyleicester but I do have a tub of geraniums blooming happily next to the Christmas tree. ?

cornergran Sat 19-Dec-15 15:51:54

I'm envious. Can't recall when it was dry enough to put laundry out and it feels chilly. I guess because of the rain.

JessM Sat 19-Dec-15 15:51:59

Oh yes neighbours have balconies full of geraniums in full bloom here in N Wales (new properties with glass balcony fronts). But drying clothes... I don't think we have had more than one or two 24 hrs without rain since the beginning of November sad

Anya Sat 19-Dec-15 15:59:23

My quince bush is in full bloom tchconfused

MamaCaz Sat 19-Dec-15 16:04:37

I saw a couple of cherry trees in full flower last weekend, when we were down near Bath. Very pretty, but not at all Christmassy smile

Greyduster Sat 19-Dec-15 16:15:04

The last time i remember it being this warm at Christmas was back in the late seventies. We came up here to Yorkshire from Essex to spend Christmas with my sister's family. It was very mild, and she cut roses, which were blooming happily, for the Christmas table. By New Year, the temperature had dropped like a stone, and on New Year's Eve morning, it started to snow heavily so we fled back South in a panic. It took hours. We got a mile or so from home and then had to abandon the car and walk. The kids were really good- they thought it was an adventure!

annodomini Sat 19-Dec-15 16:30:51

It was so warm last night that I got up to see if I had left the heating on. I hadn't. However, although it is unseasonably warm, it's raining on and off in this part of Cheshire.

shysal Sat 19-Dec-15 16:43:47

The temperature here in Oxfordshire has been 15 degrees today. I have lots of unseasonal plants in flower, including Japonica, Weigelia, Roses, Anemone Blanda, Snowdrops, Primroses, Million Bells, Periwinkle, Ox-eye daisies and lawn daisies. I have also seen Daffs and Magnolia in bud.

loopylou Sat 19-Dec-15 16:46:42

Cherry blossom out in Bath, my fairy toadflax is flowering as is my leafless viburnum plicatum, penstemon so, convolvulus and yet more roses. I have lavender cuttings taken a year ago blooming as well as foxgloves and a clematis has flower buds.
It's all very topsy turvy!

hildajenniJ Sat 19-Dec-15 16:51:16

Crazy weather. Far too warm. I've turned off the heating!! I'm usually a cold body, but not recently. Here are contrasting pictures from my garden taken on the 10th and 12th December.

JackyB Sat 19-Dec-15 17:39:42

Our magnolia tree is in bud! A colleague of mine had left her lettuces to go to seed in the summer. They have sprouted and she had a delicious salad with the new crop the other day.

But it has been warm for quite a few Christmasses recently. My 3 DS's took a whole load of photos in the garden Christmas Eve a couple of years ago (the first time they were together) The photos made up most of their Christmas presents that year, even though they came a bit late. They are all in tee shirts and a couple are barefoot.

loopylou Sat 19-Dec-15 18:54:34

That's bonkers Hildajenni, isn't it?!

OlderNoWiser Sat 19-Dec-15 19:04:57

My roses are flowering and the strawberries are sending out shoots. Wold not surprise me if they start flowering soon - strawberries in January, anyone?

HildaW Sat 19-Dec-15 20:31:39

Anya.....it may just be the red wine talking.....but is 'quince bush in full bloom' a euphemism? grin

apricot Sat 19-Dec-15 20:42:00

I've seen dandelions, daisies and daffodils flowering today.
My goldfish are swimming at the surface of the pond and eagerly feeding. I wonder what effect this temperature will have on animals which should be hibernating, there aren't any insects for them to eat.

Indinana Sat 19-Dec-15 20:50:14

It's unseasonably warm in Devon too, and we have had the roses in bloom - though a couple of our rose bushes always have flowers the whole year round, so it's not that unusual for us.
The rain, however, is something else. I can't remember the last non rainy day - it seems to have been raining for weeks on end. Today has been horrendous, with heavy downpours for hours. When it isn't properly raining, the air is heavy with mist and drizzle. It is really beginning to get me down now tchangry

ninathenana Sat 19-Dec-15 20:56:05

DD posted on FB this morning a pic of her car dash showing 15c and she's in Edinburgh.
Shrubs are in bud in Kent.