Gransnet forums

Chat

What are you wearing?

(80 Posts)
petra Sun 27-Dec-15 19:57:12

When watching program's where the public are involved I'm guilty of being critical of what some women wear. Do they not think ' I'm going to be on national TV, so I'm going to look good' One of the worst offending program's is Bargain Hunt. There has been women on there who don't even bother putting makeup on, let alone going to the hairdressers.
I won't elaborate on what I think of the fleece jackets they are forced to wear. Putting hard hat on. Lol.

Coolgran65 Sun 27-Dec-15 23:52:30

Today I wore a purple sweater dress with black corded leggings and black suede flats, pearl studs. Once home straight into ankle length nightie and fur lined suede boot slippers, fleece dressing how, no make up, and two copper bracelets that I wear overnight.

Teetime Mon 28-Dec-15 08:13:20

Petra I know what you mean especially about the fleeced which are often way too big for them. I never leave the house without make up but not everyone likes wearing it I suppose. I don't understand why people whose houses appear on property programmes don't tidy up...messy kitchen and unmade beds have me shouting at the TV.

Alima Mon 28-Dec-15 08:44:40

When I was a child I would dream of being on the telly and thought about what I would wear, obviously the Sunday Best of the moment. Definitely a case of cba now. Who in their right mind gets tarted up to do housework or even just to have an at home day? There is a time to get dressed up and use make-up and in my world it does not happen very often. I think Bargain Hunt participants would probably wear jeans to go with their fleeces if that is what they wear. (Do not watch it so don't know). I don't work now so am free of the tyranny of work wear thank heavens. Just dress for the occasion and be clean!

Humbertbear Mon 28-Dec-15 09:10:21

We went to a recording of Pointless and they gave the contestants a quick dab of powder in between rounds but Alexander and Richard got more attention!

petra Mon 28-Dec-15 09:19:52

Thank The Lord there are a few GNs who know what I'm talking about.
I hope some of you are don't seriously think that I'm interested in what your wearing at home. Ye Gods, that falls into the same catergory of 'what are you having for dinner' as if anyone cared.

Pittcity Mon 28-Dec-15 09:27:35

I think the opposite applies to some of the people on Breakfast TV who look as though they hadn't been home yet from a posh evening out!

Alima Mon 28-Dec-15 09:34:50

I know just what you mean! Some of the weather girls on South Today tip up as though they have arrived straight from a prom. I did like the jacket that Reeta Chakrabarti wore to read the evening news yesterday.

thatbags Mon 28-Dec-15 09:55:33

I knew what you were talking about, petra. My point was that I don't own any make-up, I never have owned any, and I wouldn't go out and buy some just because I was going to be on telly. My other point, hinted at only, was a criticism of the attitude that women should wear make-up to be presentable.

If make-up is required for a TV appearance, then the programme producers can/will/should provide it and apply it.

I'm with pittcity in thinking many female TV presenters look as if they're dressed for a party rather than for work. I think that's weird.

downtoearth Mon 28-Dec-15 10:16:09

Birthday suit.......still in bed waiting for resident teenager to vacate bathroom...have feeling am in for long wait....grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 28-Dec-15 10:19:32

A pink dressing gown whilst watching The Hobbit dvd with grandson, who is in his onesie and building his Lego.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 28-Dec-15 10:24:50

I think producers know how they want participants to look.

Ana Mon 28-Dec-15 10:37:15

If someone were to read the title of the thread without (perish the thought) reading the OP, it does seem as though you want to know what they're wearing right now, petra!

downtoearth Mon 28-Dec-15 10:37:58

Wear light amount of make up each day wash and blow dry hair as it is short and goes flat and I hate that slept on flat crown at the back look.wear casual clothes and take care of my appearance for me as I feel better wether it would look good on telly have no idea but have tried my best for me
I do often look at people not just on TV and wonder if they dresses in a hurry in the dark but each to their own.....sorry for missing punctuation haven't sussed out where the commas are on my new phone yetgrin

drrock Mon 28-Dec-15 10:40:54

Downtoearth, just get up, they'll soon scamper

petra Mon 28-Dec-15 11:03:32

I see that now,Ana. I put that because that's exactly what I say when I watch them: What are you wearing?
Alima. Totally agree Re. Reeta Chacrabarti (sp) beautiful style.

Indinana Mon 28-Dec-15 11:13:49

I could see from your OP, petra what you were talking about, but I was puzzled about the thread title. It does, after all, ask "what are you wearing?", so you shouldn't really be surprised that people have answered the question tchwink.
I rarely wear make-up these days, only if I'm going out somewhere (and I don't mean to Sainsbury - that calls for just a touch of lippy and eyebrow pencil!). If I knew I was going to appear on TV then yes, definitely, I would make sure I was presentable, but otherwise it's comfort all the way tchgrin.
I do wonder, though, when I see people looking, er, a little 'relaxed' on TV, whether they have been told to dress down, even given a list of suggested clothing. Surely they wouldn't actually choose to be in front of millions of people looking so dowdy or underdressed?

Indinana Mon 28-Dec-15 11:14:53

Oops, sorry - took a long while typing that post and Ana beat me to it!

trisher Mon 28-Dec-15 11:29:54

Why are you only critical of the women petra? I've seen men with no dress sense, terrible comb overs and scruffy outfits, don't they bother you?

Anniebach Mon 28-Dec-15 11:37:39

Why can't women wear what they wish? Who sets these rules , we should wear slap etc.

loopylou Mon 28-Dec-15 11:51:55

I agree Anniebach however women always have been (and I suspect will continue to be) judged on their appearance. I can't remember when a man received such attention to his clothing.

I suspect participants in some TV programmes are advised what to wear; I have to say I pay little attention to the details of their apparel. I do sometimes wonder though where newsreaders get their dresses from, mainly because I can rarely buy a dress that I really like.

Anniebach Mon 28-Dec-15 11:59:25

True loopylou , and always will be until they stop judging each other , we are setting these rules ourselves . I accept not when it comes to tv producers but quite a few now are female.

NanSue Mon 28-Dec-15 12:13:04

I totally get where you are coming from Petra. I too am guilty of thinking the very same thing. Each to their own of course but IMHO there is nothing wrong with having a bit of pride in one's appearance. I for one prefer not to be seen in public without full slap! Lack of confidence maybe but I do it for me.

Galen Mon 28-Dec-15 12:31:36

Lacy White dress and pearls! ( Commodore's senior officers cocktail party! Daft time of day to hold it!)

Bellanonna Mon 28-Dec-15 12:35:28

Bit of a contradiction NanSue. You say you won't be " seen in PUBLIC without full slap" but go on to say you do it for YOU. Of course you are fully entitled to dress and make up in whatever way you wish and I don't criticise that, but just commenting on the fact that you probably are conscious of other people's opinion. I dress much the same most of the time. Indoors today, leggings, tunic, slippers. Going up to London with OH in a mo, when slippers will be changed for ankle boots and I'll wear a coat.

Bellanonna Mon 28-Dec-15 12:36:24

I thought you always dressed that way Galen?