Gransnet forums

Chat

What are you wearing?

(79 Posts)
petra Sun 27-Dec-15 19:57:12

When watching program's where the public are involved I'm guilty of being critical of what some women wear. Do they not think ' I'm going to be on national TV, so I'm going to look good' One of the worst offending program's is Bargain Hunt. There has been women on there who don't even bother putting makeup on, let alone going to the hairdressers.
I won't elaborate on what I think of the fleece jackets they are forced to wear. Putting hard hat on. Lol.

Ana Sun 27-Dec-15 19:59:51

Yes, I think you're very wise to don that hard hat, Petra! wink

grannylyn65 Sun 27-Dec-15 20:06:09

P Jays wink

tanith Sun 27-Dec-15 20:08:35

A pair of those loose pants and a cotton sweater bare feet and no makeup..

Liz46 Sun 27-Dec-15 20:09:48

A onesie with ears.

Ana Sun 27-Dec-15 20:12:55

There you are, Petra, you will now get a list of what GNetters are wearing at this moment - is that what you meant? grin

jogginggirl Sun 27-Dec-15 20:16:58

Pj's, no make-up, hair scraped back, bare feet and a glass of red - purely medicinal due to the fact that DS has shared his flu with me shockwink

petra Sun 27-Dec-15 20:22:02

Lol. You all know what I'm talking about. Would you not go all out if you were going to be on TV? There was a woman last week who had on grey sweat pants with elasticated ankles, I ask you. I can't believe she stood in front of the mirror and said, yes, that looks good.

grannylyn65 Sun 27-Dec-15 20:24:41

I try to a mirrors, there is a wrinkled old crone getting in the way confused

grannylyn65 Sun 27-Dec-15 20:24:53

avoid

tanith Sun 27-Dec-15 20:32:23

I'm sure some programmes actually require you to 'not' looked tarted up , such as Bargain Hunt. I would wear something comfortable and warm as often they film out doors or in a Auction rooms which can be freezing especially if you've been hanging around all day filming, as I'm sure this type of program requires plenty of takes to get things right.
People who are in a studio being filmed usually wear something suitable and look presentable as they've been 'given the once over' by the producers and makeup/hair etc.

Ana Sun 27-Dec-15 20:42:23

The Antiques Roadshow lot always look very well turned out - perhaps the producers don't let anyone looking riff-raffy in the shots!

Greenockgran Sun 27-Dec-15 20:46:24

My onesie. What else would one wear?

Deedaa Sun 27-Dec-15 21:51:54

I am wearing a nice skirt and jumper but, because I haven't left the house today I am wearing no makeup and there's a hole in my tights.

thatbags Sun 27-Dec-15 21:55:17

A confession for you, petra. I have never 'bothered', as you put it, to put any make-up on. Ever. Think what you like smile. Can't say it (i.e. not wearing any make-up) has ever caused me any problems. None of the men I know ever wear make-up either. Oh wait! A goth friend may have done sometimes but not when I saw him.

Equality, anyone?

thatbags Sun 27-Dec-15 21:57:19

I've been on TV too. Dancing. Still no make-up. I don't think any of the rest of the team wore any either.

hildajenniJ Sun 27-Dec-15 22:38:23

Jeggings, fluffy fleece jumper, mouse slippers. No make-up, but then I never wear it. (Allergic to most).

harrigran Sun 27-Dec-15 22:44:35

I am afraid I would be wearing warm jogging pants and fleece too if I was on Bargain hunt. I very rarely wear make up. DH are both under the weather today and are wearing joggers and t shirts and definitely no make up, my hair did have a brush pulled through it but I really don't care what it looked like.

Elrel Sun 27-Dec-15 22:55:52

I think most programmes give a quick makeup to everyone because of the lights or ask you to arrive with some on. Some may also ask you to bring more than one change of clothes as more than one edition of a programme may be filmed at the same time. For Deal or No Deal I've read that you may be there for weeks, I don't know whether that is right.
Eggheads' challengers usually seem to have tops that all five tone well together, no violent clashes.
Sure we have some insiders who can tell us what really goes on! I'd guess people are told to be warm and comfy on Bargain Hunt!

rosesarered Sun 27-Dec-15 22:56:25

I know what you mean Petra the ' got dressed in the dark' look.?
there are some weird specimens of no dress sense quite often on Escape To The Country as well, even DH comments on them at times.

Sadiesnan Sun 27-Dec-15 22:58:10

I can't wear make up as I suffer with very dry irritable eyes. I'm wearing just a nightie by the way.

Elrel Sun 27-Dec-15 23:00:46

PS No makeup, rarely used! Scarlet M&S cashmere v neck from charity shop. Horrible but durable brown M&S trousers BNWTfrom eBay. Cute red check soft slippers I had for Christmas. I look like a large but fairly unaggressive Robin!

MammaTJ Sun 27-Dec-15 23:03:18

I was watching 'Four in a bed' today and was thinking the same. There were a mother and daughter pair on there and the daughter did not brush her hair throughout the whole programme!

Now, I will quite happily slob around my own house with unbrushed hair and no make up but I will not subject the unsuspecting public to such a horror!

rosequartz Sun 27-Dec-15 23:04:16

A young friend and her friend were on Bargain Hunt and both looked gorgeous.

Have you noticed how over-made-up some look on programmes like HIGNFY? you could scrape the makeup off with a wallpaper scraper.

merlotgran Sun 27-Dec-15 23:08:32

After a shitty 5hr drive back from a wonderful Christmas with DD2, DSIL and the gorgeous DGCs, I couldn't wait to get into PJs and fluffy slippers. Fortunately I remembered the dogs needed picking up from kennels first grin