Gransnet forums

Chat

Babies' cots

(10 Posts)
Indinana Thu 07-Jan-16 19:07:58

My DD has just had to lower the base on her baby's cot bed ahead of her making the move from her co-sleeper shortly. The cot has only two levels - high and low. Or perhaps that should be very high and very low. It would have been too risky using the higher level, as it really won't be any time at all before she's able to pull herself up. So now my DD will have to reach down to the bottom of the cot to pick the baby up and, with her weak back from an injury 20 years ago, she isn't delighted at the prospect.
We still have the cot both our DC used as babies - my DH spent the early part of last year restoring it so that we could have it here for when they stay over. It is what I would call a standard sized cot. Now that the cot bed has taken over as 'standard'. this one is described as a 'space saver' cot hmm.
But here's the thing: this 'small' cot has a dropside, something that seems to be missing from many of the modern larger sized cot beds. This simple feature is such a boon for mums and dads who have to lift their babies out of the cots. Why on earth has it become acceptable to produce cot beds without this - in my opinion - essential feature? Is it a case of style over substance?

tanith Thu 07-Jan-16 19:19:36

It might be to do with the ban in the USA a few years ago , they had lots of baby deaths and banned them but I think our safety standards are different/better maybe the people that make them decided it was better to not make them, hence the difficulty finding them here..

I always loved my dropsided cot so much easier to manage baby when they were tiny.

Indinana Thu 07-Jan-16 19:32:48

Ah well, I was unaware of the ban in the US, and the deaths sad. Makes more sense.
I do worry about DD's back, though. But neither she nor I would put her comfort above the safety of her daughter! What a shame that some other, safer, system has not been developed.

Nelliemoser Thu 07-Jan-16 20:09:01

I was surprised that my DGS's last cot did not have drop down sides.

Having to bend over to pick up a baby from the lowest setting is postively asking for back problems.

Indinana Thu 07-Jan-16 20:54:49

Exactly, Nelliem! And with my DD's pre-existing weak back it is a worry - she doesn't have anyone else to pick the baby up for her as she's a single mum. It's just her and the baby. In time the baby will be sitting up, or pulling herself up to a standing position ready for DD to lift her, but at the moment she is still horizontal sad

tanith Thu 07-Jan-16 21:18:07

Indinana they do still make them... this one looks good..

www.mothercare.com/East-Coast-Nursery-Anna-Dropside-Cot---White/993611,default,pd.html

GrandmaKT Thu 07-Jan-16 21:34:39

Maybe you could get a second (secondhand?) mattress and put it underneath the one the baby sleeps on to build the height up a bit?

Luckygirl Thu 07-Jan-16 22:28:16

I understand your concern about the low base - most of my GC have been in a very old cot (periodically renovated) that was used by my OH when he was a baby; then his siblings; then all our children and GC.

It has dropsides and the DDs have never had to bend too low.

Indinana Thu 07-Jan-16 23:14:32

That is a very good idea GrandmaKT

Tanith thanks for the link. I have seen some online - there are even cot beds with dropsides, but unfortunately the one my DD bought (secondhand - she is on a low income) doesn't have this feature. I have been tempted to buy her a new one, but then I think that really it is only a matter of maybe 6-8 weeks until the baby will be climbing up ready to be lifted.
If in the meantime her back does 'go' again (and when it does, she is completely incapacitated), then we will have to move them into our spare bedroom until she recovers. At least there is that option. It doesn't help that her baby is a big girl - weighing in at nearly 20 lbs at 6 1/2 months shock. Not overweight, but she is long - she's going to be tall! But then both our son's boys were exactly the same. The eldest, at 9, is the height of an average 12-13 year old shock.

Nelliemoser Thu 07-Jan-16 23:49:23

There are apparently problems with older cots because the regulations now are that the spaces between the bars should be smaller than in our kids days.