Gransnet forums

Chat

The questions they ask !!

(83 Posts)
NanKate Sun 24-Jan-16 19:57:20

This weekend we took our two young grandsons to The Wind in the Willows Exhibition and as we drove along the Thames to the Henley Rowing Museum, I pointed out that the story was set on the Thames about 10 miles away. The eldest asked if it was a true story and sadly I had to admit it wasn't.

A few hours later our GS still in a rather philosophical mood asked 'Is life real' ? That one threw me a bit. hmm

What questions do your GC ask you ?

Nelliemoser Wed 27-Jan-16 00:41:46

Gaggie3 Congratulations! you have hit the Jackpot. I have seen quite a few of these multiposts while on GN but never that many.

You deserve a medal! wink

I don't think GNHQ have ever come up with an explanation for these.
They all have the same date and time..

NinatheNana 48!!!! Thanks for counting them I gave up.

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-Jan-16 19:26:54

We were minding our 2 year old DGS2 yesterday and when he said he was hungry I suggested he ask Grandad to make his tea, as I was very busy on Gransnet. He was astonished. *Is he old enough?" he asked. I do sometimes wonder myself... grin

baNANAGran3 Tue 26-Jan-16 09:40:38

Yep, got the message Gaggi smile! When my DG was about 3or 4 he was sitting on the loo one day when he said "grandma, what am I doing here?" "hopefully a poo" I replied - to which he said - "no, I mean what am I doing here in the world?" I seem to remember a very long conversation ensued.
Another time, his mother was trying hard to get him to school on time and as he stared out of the window he said - "just thinking what it would be like to be a conjoined twin". He's a very interesting teenager now!

yattypung Tue 26-Jan-16 04:16:22

My 8 yo GS asked me "is it hard being a grown up Nanna?"

Gagamarnie Mon 25-Jan-16 19:35:18

My 5 year old granddaughter said, "When I'm grown up, who will be me?" Very profound.........and Granny had no answer to that!

Tessa101 Mon 25-Jan-16 18:51:18

My 6 yr old GD keeps asking if I was alive in the olden days. And she's obsessed with asking questions about dying.

Conni7 Mon 25-Jan-16 16:51:31

"Did they have electricity when you were a girl, Mummy"?

Bijou Mon 25-Jan-16 15:58:08

When my son was a toddler we were passing the almshouses when a little old lady came out. "Look, mum, a baby lady."

BRedhead59 Mon 25-Jan-16 15:31:14

My son now 32 - once said to all the fluffy toys at the end of his bed "you can talk if you want to I won't be scared"

His son asked about his Great Granny who died soon after halloween "Is Great Granny a skeleton now?"

rosesarered Mon 25-Jan-16 15:15:39

? well, if it was good enough for Yasser Arafat, Hoolahoop.....

hulahoop Mon 25-Jan-16 15:03:31

My kids used to say did that happen in the grey days when you were little . When I was wearing a bandana my eldest grandson 6yrs told his younger sis and cousin grandma as been taking medicine which made her hair fall out so now had to wear a tea towel talk about making you feel good ?

rosesarered Mon 25-Jan-16 14:58:40

The Wind In The Willows display, and the Henley Rowing Museum is great btw ( get your tickets stamped and you can visit as many times as you like during the year.) Our DGS loved it.
Children accept life and don't always ask about things, but you do wonder what their minds think is real, Father Christmas, the tooth fairy, fairies and pixies etc.If those things are real, anything could be real.
the past, to them, really IS another country, and my DGS1 aged 11 can hardly credit that when I was his age, we had no: computer,telephone, washing machine, car, iPad, mobile phone, to name but a few.To him, it's unbelievable.

rosesarered Mon 25-Jan-16 14:50:06

grin

Misslayed Mon 25-Jan-16 13:01:28

When I was teaching one of my 7 year olds asked "What's a virgin?" to no- one in particular. The vicar's son piped up "I know, it's a line down the edge of your paper and you have to have the virgin on the left hand side"!

puppytoe Mon 25-Jan-16 12:56:10

Watching a programme about children's television in the late 80s with DD aged 4 I was telling her all about Andy Pandy that I watched in the 50s when she suddenly asked me, "Mummy, when you were little was the world in black and white? " !!!

No1gogo Mon 25-Jan-16 12:48:45

My DGD who's just turned 7 asked "Mommy does God REALLY exist? and mommy what do you think about reincarnation? do you think that REALLY happens? but I want to know NOW" I'm SOOO excited, I want to know NOW" That came out all in one go, thank goodness I didn't have to answer that lot. Oh yes, another good one, the other day she asked her mommy to Google "Are fairies real" What minds they have at that age?

ninathenana Mon 25-Jan-16 12:37:58

48 posts grin Gaggi definitely an achievement !!
I thought it odd that the total was so high since I last checked the thread.

annifrance Mon 25-Jan-16 12:30:09

My DGS asked me why my ex DH and I had 'split in half'. that took some answering. Another good one at Christmas time is 'What's a virgin?'. On using the Fword that they shouldn't have heard anyway, trying to come up with an alternative I suggested to DS 'making love' - yuk that's girls' stuff, I think we eventually agreed on copulating which I suppose was better than the Fword.

Television certainly has a lot to answer for, my eldest DGD is really into dinosaurs, so we took her to the local dinosaur museum, which is excellent but they had a full size moving, roaring TRex a la Jurrassic Park at the end, she ran screaming all the way to the entrance.

DS once nearly sliced his tongue off playing Fall Guy from the top of his bedroom door. Another mad dash to A&E where they already had reserved a bed for me with Valium after repeated visits to said establishment.

Maggiemaybe Mon 25-Jan-16 12:29:40

Gaggi3, surely you must have qualified for some sort of GN achievement award for the above comment(s)?! grin

MargaretinNorthant Mon 25-Jan-16 12:02:39

I had twin boys........when they were about seven the younger came in from school and asked "is it true bees make honey " to which I replied yes. Elder sibling (by ten minutes) thoughtfully said "oh, I suppose wasps make jam then" Lord knows what he thought made Marmite.

Another time they asked something and eldest said "you know such a lot Mum" to which I jokingly said "well I'm not just a pretty face", to be met with the reply, "Oh you're not even that Mum". He IS still alive.

Gaggi3 Mon 25-Jan-16 12:02:24

DD1 was quite distressed, when she was about 3 , when I mentioned that something happened before DD2 was born, saying "What did she do with herself then?"

Gaggi3 Mon 25-Jan-16 12:02:23

DD1 was quite distressed, when she was about 3 , when I mentioned that something happened before DD2 was born, saying "What did she do with herself then?"