Gransnet forums

Chat

bleach bottletops

(23 Posts)
bichonmad Sun 31-Jan-16 09:48:51

Has anyone got any ways of opening those bleach bottle tops that you need to squeeze,I don't have the strength in my hands anymore and I don't want to keep asking my family or waiting till they visit and asking them to open all that I have in the cupboard,I have a gadget to open jars but haven't seen anything for those tops sad

JackyB Sun 31-Jan-16 10:15:22

You need leverage. Have you got a pair of pliers or a monkey wrench?

If you can keep it safe, once you've opened it once, decant it into a bottle you can get the top off.

Ana Sun 31-Jan-16 10:31:56

I use a pair of nutcrackers I bought for £1 from Asda.

Stansgran Sun 31-Jan-16 10:33:27

I use pliers or an adjustable spanner. I keep them hidden from DH otherwise they would be used and left somewhere.

Jalima Sun 31-Jan-16 10:34:47

Good idea, Ana
They seem to have become more difficult than ever.

Jalima Sun 31-Jan-16 10:36:33

There are some nutcrackers in my basket of nuts from Lidl - can't crack a nut with them so they can go under the sink as the bleach bottle opener!

M0nica Sun 31-Jan-16 18:56:22

Yes, I am a great user of nutcrackers for bottle opening. Also look on ebay or Amazon. They sell an enormous range of jar and bottle openers.

DD bought an electric one after an accident left her with a weak right arm.

Greymary Sun 31-Jan-16 21:58:54

Aren't they difficult to open.
I found some Brabantia 'bottle/jar openers' in a charity shop for 50 p. which are so useful.
Like others here though I often use an old pair of nutcrackers !.

Deedaa Sun 31-Jan-16 23:00:22

`So it's not just me!

bichonmad Mon 01-Feb-16 06:05:17

thank you everyone nutcrackers is one I never thought of,going to get some now grin

Iam64 Mon 01-Feb-16 19:17:04

Dunelm sell circular things, black fabric with holes in. They're about 50pence and are for getting lids off various household equipment. I couldn't manage without them.

petallus Mon 01-Feb-16 21:24:40

I use nutcrackers too. I thought it was just me.

oldie730 Tue 02-Feb-16 10:14:50

Have had this problem for years, not only with bleach tops, I have had a pair of scissors since I was married in 1964 which have serrated edges on the inside of the handle, which I could not be without, the scissors never get used for the usual purpose!? The handle fits round a number of tops , including squash bottles, tomato ketchup, etc. Good idea about nut crackers, where are mine?!

Cosafina Tue 02-Feb-16 10:25:48

Funnily enough, I find the bleach bottle (Domestos) really easy to open. What I can never get open, however, is the Night Nurse bottle where you have to press down on the lid quite hard at the same time as turning it.

It can take me a good 20 minutes to get it open when I'm feeling fit and healthy - when I actually need to use it, it's a physical impossibility due to my weakened state!

I even wrote to them, pointing out that the damage a child might do to itself drinking Night Nurse (which you tend to keep up in the bathroom cabinet) was considerably less than the damage it might do drinking bleach (which you tend to keep under the kitchen sink, so much more in reach) but they didn't care. hmm

libra10 Tue 02-Feb-16 10:47:29

I agree with Cosafina - Domestos bleach is much easier to open than other makes.

Hadn't realised about using nutcrackers for opening difficult bottle tops. Will definitely give it a try.

Auntieflo Tue 02-Feb-16 11:00:55

Another nutcracker user here. What a resourceful lot we are. smile

helmacd Tue 02-Feb-16 11:11:05

Like Cosafina, I find the tops that you have to press down (quite hard) whilst squeezing the sides at the same time really really difficult, if not impossible to open. I have every bottle opening gadget known to man ( or woman!) but no one seems to have invented the answer to this.I've trawled the internet, bothered places like Lakeland, and places that sell gadgets for disabled people without success. And like others, I've risked life and limb with tin openers, hammers, scissors and other assorted tools!
My usual solution is to wait for someone to come to the house, get them to open it, and then never do that final twist again, so I have only the squeezing to do!

Re squeezing,my most reliable aid is a circular rubber/plastic mat which is totally flexible and has sort of a lattice work effect. It helps you to get that better grip and works with 80% of tops.

schnackie Tue 02-Feb-16 13:12:43

Please DO NOT ever decant bleach or any other harmful substance into another container - unless you also remove the label and firmly attach it to the new container. As a paediatric nurse, one of my worst memories was of grandparents who had decanted toilet cleaner, the DGS came over and drank it - not only was he seriously ill, but there was no label to tell what to do in case of emergency. Some dangerous substances do more damage if thrown up, some are helped by following with milk etc. Obviously this should only be done when emergency services are on the way. Sorry to be a downer but this can be critical.

chrissyh Tue 02-Feb-16 14:50:22

Once opened, I don't screw the lid right down again. Obviously keep if safely and am careful not to knock it over.

hildajenniJ Tue 02-Feb-16 16:27:18

I'll have to start taking nutcrackers to work!!! I've started trying to get the top off with my left hand, but it is so awkward!!!

phizz Tue 02-Feb-16 21:40:31

I remember those scissors with a serrated opening that Oldie mentioned, Don't suppose anyone knows where one could buy them nowadays?

hicaz46 Wed 03-Feb-16 08:56:02

The answer as many others have said is once opened never screw it down tightly again. Forget that final twist, keep upright and out of reach of children. The flat floppy round piece of rubber to wrap around jars helps on most jars and bottles.

auntbett Wed 03-Feb-16 13:58:39

I use nutcrackers - the hinged sort. They squash the top and then just twist. It really works.