Gransnet forums

Chat

Unusually for me..

(11 Posts)
grannyactivist Sat 13-Feb-16 12:37:08

....my house is in a tip and I don't have the energy or the will to do anything about it just yet. My bedroom looks as though there's been a clothing explosion with the contents of my half-emptied suitcase scattered across the bed, ironing board and floor. My kitchen hasn't had a proper cleaning for almost a month - and looks like it's not. And there are Christmas decorations lurking on the landing that have been there since you know when! The Wonderful Man has done a great job of keeping things ticking over and the vase of flowers on my return was a lovely touch, but a really thorough clean is definitely needed before I return to look after my mum again in. (I did leave her house spick and span.)

What things have you done or not done that's unusual for you?

morethan2 Sat 13-Feb-16 13:39:37

I've got a basil plant going moldy on the kitchen windowsill. I've important paperwork lying about. My house is looking a bit of a tip. Like you we've got more important things to worry about. It's a 400+ mile round trip to see MiL who's approaching the end of a long life and is struggling to accept she won't be going home. Just shove everything in a nice box or under a throw There's always tommorow. Put your feet upgrannyactivist you deserve it

hildajenniJ Sat 13-Feb-16 13:47:33

My Christmas decorations are still in the boxes on the landing. I keep asking DH or DS to put them away but nothing has happened yet. I cannot physically get down into the crawl space as my knee objects if I kneel down. They are in front of the airing cupboard door and I have to keep moving them to put laundry away!

kittylester Sat 13-Feb-16 13:58:07

You have a really good excuse GA! Can you get someone in to do a one off clean if you do the tidying? Something has to give and the mess will most definitely still be there when you get back to real life so try not to worry. flowers

DHs ideas of how the house should be quite often don't coincide with ours do they?

I'm using a similar excuse for (very unusually for me)having some sort of a take away about once a week and working my way through the contents of my freezer when normally I view my freezer as provide panic meals and an odd lazy day now and again! Oh dear, I get really stressed when I don't have a full freezer.When my situation changes I will have to do a mammoth amount of batch cooking.

wot Sat 13-Feb-16 17:43:25

GA, whenever yo;u feel that your house is in a mess, just watch "Hoarders" on CBS Reality. That's what I do. Then your place will seem like a palace!

Pippa000 Sun 14-Feb-16 07:37:00

I bought a new'toy' at Christmas, a robot vacuum cleaner. Now, as it is a bit technical and obviously way above my comfort zone, DH has taken to making sure it is set up and working, emptying the dust box, clearing the floors of bits and pieces throughout before 'Robbie' gets going. Now all I need is a robotic duster. grin

Rhonab Sun 14-Feb-16 12:36:07

I sort of keep up with the basic house-cleaning but I'd really rather be doing better things with my time. The husband helps out but he lived for years in a true bachelor pad where stuff sat stacked in piles for years, so he has a different set of standards than me, sadly. Getting him to get rid of his stuff when he was moving over here (from Denmark) was a huge task ... like home recorded videos when we no longer have a video player??? ?
We went up to clear out my parents holiday flat before it was sold a couple of weeks ago and surprise, surprise came home with the car loaded with all the books, pictures etc etc etc that couldn't possibly be tossed out.
Anyway, today I'm going to clear our bedroom of all the Oban things before it drives me berserk!
Probably just hide them in another room for now until he can look them over and see if there's anything worth keeping. Sigh, sigh ...

annodomini Sun 14-Feb-16 14:00:42

Two up and two down end of terrace. When I come in the back door, the first thing I dump my shopping on is my gate-legged dining table, on which I have a lot of clutter and to make it look tidier, usually arrange it into neat piles and file some of it in the recycling bin. My bedroom sounds like yours GA There's a chair where I can usually find missing socks and jumpers. When the sun shines - and today it does - it is painfully obvious that I need to clean the windows. And don't get me started on the garden.... blush

Helmsley444 Sun 14-Feb-16 14:24:36

The sad thing is we all no that thers better things to do than housework.But if we the women dont do it than it never gets done.In this day and age, you think the dhs could manage some of it.We are both retired me medically, Im 55.Hes 65 I just divided all the chores in to his and mine. .And gave him upteen speaches on now hes retired , he has to keep to his chores all week, and not to just sit down in the middle of the day to watch tv.It sorts of works

wot Sun 14-Feb-16 15:15:48

I would feel guilty if I didn't "keep house". It was instilled in us at secondary modern and by my mum. She wouldn't even let my dad see the ironing board up! But, in a way, it gives me challenges and projects especially as my cottage is tiny and I'm a hoarder. I have to keep finding space. It probably is sad but after years of bed sit living, it makes me feel fulfilled (when I'm not feeling re

wot Sun 14-Feb-16 15:16:07

Resentful, that is!