Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it too late to write a book?

(14 Posts)
Elrel Mon 22-Feb-16 20:53:44

You could try a local writing group perhaps. They vary in many ways but can keep you going and it can be good to get feedback and swap ideas.
Or you may prefer to just get on with it. Free writing can provide a kickstart - just set a timer, pick up a pen and write whatever comes into your head. It can help one avoid the 'I can't do it, my work is not good enough' doubts which I hope you'll never have.
Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Greymary Mon 22-Feb-16 16:39:39

Think of Grandma Moses and her painting grin. Age is not a barrier,go for it.

Lavande Mon 22-Feb-16 15:57:41

Mary Wesley was 70 when her first novel was published and she continued writing into her 80s. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good Luck

NotTooOld Mon 22-Feb-16 14:16:47

Of course you must go for it. Is your aim publication or would you do it just for fun? I've written three full length novels over the last few years. I did send one off to a publisher (no reply) but I didn't bother with the others, I just thoroughly enjoyed writing them.

miep Mon 22-Feb-16 14:04:42

Thanks for your input; I suppose I really wanted some sortof affirmation that I wasn't "past the age of reason"...or perhaps I am!

Leticia Sun 21-Feb-16 19:03:26

Lots of authors only started in later life- go for it.

Elrel Sun 21-Feb-16 18:33:47

Alima. - I agree, never too late to go for it. I've recently rediscovered poetry writing and must also get on with redrafting/completing books I've started.

I was looking at a book about Matisse, he was amazing. Didn't let ill health or age stem his creativity and when his mobility was compromised he found other ways to produce wonderful original art.

Alima Sun 21-Feb-16 13:22:56

You are never too old to try! Give it a go. A more recent older author was Sybil Marshall, loved her books!
I am sure that one of the Gransnetters has had a book published, maybe she will pick up on this thread.

Eloethan Sun 21-Feb-16 13:09:19

miep There are several examples of writers who were successful in later life: Frank McCourt (Angela's Ashes -66), George Elliot (Middlemarch - 52), Anna Sewell (Black Beauty - 57), Mary Wesley (The Camomile Lawn - 70). I think PD James was in her 40's when she wrote her first book, and she continued to write into her 90's.

I know an award-winning writer of teenage books. She started writing while still employed full-time in a job she enjoyed. She wasn't writing because she hated her day job or primarily to get published/make more money but because she felt a real need to tell stories. If you have always wanted to write, now have the time and a real drive to do so, then go for it. What have you got to lose?

I'm not a huge fan of Stephen King - though I rather liked 11.22.63 - but I very much enjoyed his book "On Writing". It had mixed reviews when published but I thought it contained some very useful advice and insights.

emmasnan Sun 21-Feb-16 12:18:00

Go for it, it's never too late.

Luckygirl Sun 21-Feb-16 12:03:36

Never too late - do it!

cornergran Sun 21-Feb-16 11:53:38

Why not? You won't know unless you try. Better to follow your instincts than have a lingering 'I wonder' in the back of your head. Good luck. Hope it works for you.

tanith Sun 21-Feb-16 11:51:25

Of course miep, its never too late so they say . Go for it.

miep Sun 21-Feb-16 11:48:19

I have been toying with the idea for many years, but have now decided to take the bull by the horns. I was always good at English and spent many years as a successful copywriter, so I am hoping I have some skills in the right area. Really what put me in the right frame of mind was realising how much time I waste doing totally silly things! Do youu think there is any hope?