Gransnet forums

Chat

Go on ... treat yourself ...!

(82 Posts)
Imperfect27 Fri 26-Feb-16 12:41:34

When was the last time you treated yourself to something and what was it? Would treating yourself mean something big or something little?

It's my birthday tomorrow and I took a long walk into town and back today feeling I could do with a treat as DH has made it known that he hasn't yet got me a present - I think he intended to take me to a garden centre tomorrow, but we have family coming rather unexpectedly. ..

So ... the dizzy height I reached was the thought of buying a Belgian bun (!!!) but my favourite bakery was so busy I gave up. Mind you, I did 'treat' myself to a second hand book from a charity shop. I know how to live! smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Mar-16 09:58:42

BBbevan grin

hummingbird Tue 01-Mar-16 23:41:56

That was the thinking Anno, wandering about in the sunshine was the perfect antidote to a wet and windy February! I'm with your gd's, BBbevan - I'd be put out too! grin

annodomini Tue 01-Mar-16 10:11:05

hummingbird envy. This is a good time of year to take a break and preferably somewhere exotic and warm. You had exactly the right idea.

BBbevan Tue 01-Mar-16 09:51:57

SeeingHummingbird's post made me smile as it reminded me of an incident that happened last year My son and his wife went to Marrakesh to celebrate her 40th.birthday. Our granddaughters stayed with us. When they came back they asked their girls if they would like to see their photos. "No thank you" said my eldest granddaughter, then 8yrs old. " we were not invited so we don' t want to see them" A real put down.

hummingbird Tue 01-Mar-16 09:24:28

Just back from four days in Marrakech with my friend! We both have birthdays around now, and booked it quite impulsively on a shopping trip. We had an amazing few days, including a vigorous hammam and massage - I've never been so clean! I'm back home relaxed and happy grin

absent Tue 01-Mar-16 08:20:40

I know that there was a day within the last couple of weeks when I bought something and thought "that's a naughty – but nice – self-indulgence" and I am absolutely sure it was, but I can't remember what it actually was. It will almost certainly be something that I shall use over and over again rather than a passing pleasure as I haven't been out for dinner recently and I very rarely eat sweet things. No doubt, when I come to use whatever it is, it will bring a smile to my face all over again.

Imperfect27 Tue 01-Mar-16 06:38:53

Sorry you missed out watermeadow. I saw not one, but two dolls houses in charity shops yesterday ... another one will come along.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Feb-16 19:13:20

Oh, what a shame! sad

Bellanonna Mon 29-Feb-16 18:51:26

Water meadow sad

watermeadow Mon 29-Feb-16 18:47:14

The doll's house had been sold when I got there at 9am on Friday. I know you all wanted to know that!

Neversaydie Sun 28-Feb-16 23:19:15

I love that poemgreybuster the line is a catch phrase for Dd1and me if either has treated themselves to a small treat-in her case one she probably cant really afford

Imperfect27 Sun 28-Feb-16 19:49:41

Thanks Maggieanne smile

Maggieanne Sun 28-Feb-16 19:29:52

I've only just come across this thread, so, Happy Belated Birthday Wishes Imp, hope you had a good day. Willsmadnan, you need a treat and what better than perfume, it really lifts the spirits. Watermeadow, go for it, you will only regret it, you can add to it every so often and that will be another treat. I can't believe how many of us have had to scrimp and save, try asking the youngsters today to do that! A treat doesn't have to cost the earth, just to be able to enjoy it is the best bit.

Imperfect27 Sun 28-Feb-16 10:12:08

Oooh - happy birthday to you too ediepop flowers I hope you had a lovely day.
I did - there were treats aplenty and my aching heads this morning is still reminding me smile wine wine wine

grannyactivist Sat 27-Feb-16 22:17:13

Late in the day, but sending birthday greetings to imperfect and ediepop. flowers

harrysgran Sat 27-Feb-16 19:17:21

I treat myself now and again to a beauty box from latest in beauty they are filled with samples of luxury products and the excitement of not knowing what I might receive makes receiving them in the post even better.

Jalima Sat 27-Feb-16 17:37:29

or Clarins Eau des Jardins ...

Lindajoy Sat 27-Feb-16 17:03:58

A bottle of Clarin's Eau Dynamisante - sheer luxury!

hulahoop Sat 27-Feb-16 16:47:42

Happy birthday to all having birthdays today ??had lunch out yesterday with friend who recently lost husband treat today was a pizza made of play dough which my grandaughter made me
Forgot to say bought myself two tops as well ??

GrannyAsNanny Sat 27-Feb-16 16:01:42

GranJan60 - if you're looking after the house and your DH, that's working! Don't feel guilty - appreciate your own worth. ?

glassortwo Sat 27-Feb-16 15:49:00

kitty its worth a fortune that cup of coffee smile

GranJan60 Sat 27-Feb-16 15:28:02

Since being made redundant and not finding another job, I now have to rely on DH so I feel extremely guilty about buying anything non-essential for myself. Really miss being independent. I know our joint account is half mine but as he's still working and I'm not it feels wrong.

Jalima Sat 27-Feb-16 15:15:06

dirgni Have a great time
I am so envious - business class!!

Happy birthday Imperfect flowers and cupcake

kittylester Sat 27-Feb-16 14:57:04

Happy birthday Imperfect. flowers

This afternoon I am going to treat myself to lying on the sofa watching c**p on TV - it doesn't happen often but I love it when it does.

glass, I do a similar thing. On the way back from visiting mum I often buy a flake and eat it in the car while playing a word game on my phone. Daft really but it's my time! grin

Stansgran Sat 27-Feb-16 14:25:56

Happy birthday imperfect