Gransnet forums

Chat

Go on ... treat yourself ...!

(81 Posts)
Imperfect27 Fri 26-Feb-16 12:41:34

When was the last time you treated yourself to something and what was it? Would treating yourself mean something big or something little?

It's my birthday tomorrow and I took a long walk into town and back today feeling I could do with a treat as DH has made it known that he hasn't yet got me a present - I think he intended to take me to a garden centre tomorrow, but we have family coming rather unexpectedly. ..

So ... the dizzy height I reached was the thought of buying a Belgian bun (!!!) but my favourite bakery was so busy I gave up. Mind you, I did 'treat' myself to a second hand book from a charity shop. I know how to live! smile

annodomini Fri 26-Feb-16 13:10:11

Today! My favourite scent arrived from JL with my very good Hermes courier. I'm going to be well fragranced from now on.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 13:16:12

Last week I treated myself (and DD2) to a trip to London to see a show. Dinner at a nice little Italian place, lovely tiramisu, after the pizza of course. Two bags of choccie sweets. Full works breakfast at the nice hotel in the Strand. Travelled back first class on train as standard carriages were full.

(That doesn't happen that often though! grin)

tanith Fri 26-Feb-16 13:19:51

I treated OH and myself to breakfast out this morning at restaurant by a local wood with a beautiful lake then we took a brisk walk round the lake in the sunshine it was peaceful and very pleasant.

hildajenniJ Fri 26-Feb-16 13:21:50

Yes jingle, I have treated myself to first class travel when I go to visit my DD and family tomorrow. First class on the return journey too. Oh, the luxury!!!

grannyactivist Fri 26-Feb-16 13:33:40

I've been ill and spent quite a lot of time in bed recently, but yesterday I got up and dressed and walked into town where I treated myself to a large takeaway latte from Costa and caught the bus home with it. It exhausted me so much that I'm back in bed today, but it was worth it! smile

Badenkate Fri 26-Feb-16 13:41:51

Recently I treated myself to a breadmaker ( because I'm useless at making bread), and before that I treated myself to the complete set of House. However since the special offer that I bought them on only offered blu-ray, I then had to treat myself to a blu-ray player ?. Today I'm treating DH (and me of course) to fish and chips for lunch since it's pension day.

When I used to travel down to London by train from Crewe, I used to go by London Midland (slower but much cheaper than Virgin and I wasn't in a hurry) and treat myself to an upgrade to 1st class which only cost about £10 more for the return trip.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 13:49:55

Yes. We can get to London first class at the weekend for only an extra ten pounds. smile I do like a trip to London.

My usual weekly treat at the moment is a bunch of tulips. Often reduced when I go shopping on a Tuesday.

Teetime Fri 26-Feb-16 14:18:36

Happy Birthday imperfect I hope he does get you a nice present.

I treated myself to a small bag of mini eggs today - I expect DH will want a few.

ninathenana Fri 26-Feb-16 14:28:55

DH and I had a trip to London with theatre and hotel last weekend.
Today I bought myself two £1 bunches of daffs with the weekly shop grin

Greyduster Fri 26-Feb-16 14:48:47

Happy Birthday, imperfect ?! I treated myself to a pair of rather nice boots last week in M&S. They were a tad expensive but I thought 'oh what the hell!' Then, while I stood in the queue, the lady in front of me gave me a voucher for 20% off!

Lona Fri 26-Feb-16 14:53:48

I treated myself to some of my Ralph Lauren perfume which was on offer at Superdrug, plus a new lipstick. smile

Synonymous Fri 26-Feb-16 15:01:45

I keep being tempted by those emails from plant and bulb merchants and end up treating myself to some plants for our new garden. The trouble is that I keep forgetting what is coming since many of them have long despatch dates. I am just hoping I haven't ordered too many duplicates and that we will be able to fit them all in! I do have a great feeling of anticipation though and am looking forward to them arriving. smile

mollie Fri 26-Feb-16 15:18:34

I'm pretty good at treating myself be it a Belgian Bun, or a new book or something else. It's being treated by others that I'd really like now and again. OH used to send me big expensive bouquets that he ordered online - lovely but when I mentioned that something similar at Waitrose or M&S would be just as wonderful and cheaper they stopped! I haven't had one in years... Would so love someone - anyone - to put themselves out just a little bit on my behalf to balance things up a little.

janeainsworth Fri 26-Feb-16 15:34:16

My last treat was a trip to London earlier this month with my old school friend, for 3 nights.
Dinner at Wahaca first night, Ronnie Scott's the second, and another friend joined us at Ottolenghi's on our last night.
MrA wasenvy
grin

willsmadnan Fri 26-Feb-16 16:42:02

Feeling a bit guilty, but after a tough month (having lost my DH very suddenly) I treated myself to some perfume. Took a risk and bought Balmain D'Ivoire online without knowing what it would be like, but I just felt like a complete break from the past. . It arrived today, I tried it, love it, and it has already lifted my spirits. That does sound shallow, but I'm trying to look to the future, not wallowing in the past

Badenkate Fri 26-Feb-16 16:58:36

Not shallow at all willsmadnan . I'm so glad you enjoy your perfume, and that you felt able to treat yourself. Keep looking after yourself xxx

Imperfect27 Fri 26-Feb-16 17:40:58

I second Badenkate, not shallow at all willsmadnan - good for you for looking after yourself!

I really do like expensive perfume - I think it is lovely when the scent lingers on clothes and ... I do treat myself to a couple of bottles a year.

Thanks for the happy birthday wishes ... beginning to look promising, his nibs came home with flowers and then disappeared to do some wrapping ... getting excited grin.

watermeadow Fri 26-Feb-16 18:11:53

Picked up my IPad to ask if I should buy myself an expensive and useless present and here's the answer, it says Go on, treat yourself!
I live very frugally, I can't afford luxuries, but I am sorely tempted to buy a big beautiful doll's house from the charity shop where I volunteer. It's £100, a tenth of what it cost but will need furnishing.
Shall I ?

aggie Fri 26-Feb-16 18:19:28

go for it Watermeadow ! I would love a dolls house , but now , that I can afford it , I have nowhere to put it . I bought a cardboard diy one and haven't had a chance to assemble it

NotTooOld Fri 26-Feb-16 18:46:13

watermeadow - definitely go for it, it sounds like a bargain. Think what fun you'll have kitting it out. Go for it quickly - before it sells!

Thingmajig Fri 26-Feb-16 18:48:28

I spent a couple of weeks before Christmas scouring the Amazon lightening deals and spotted an electronic cutter. I make cards and the cutter I had was years old and refused to cut card of any thickness at all.
I resisted and resisted but finally caved in just after Christmas and bought one at half price. Husband just rolled his eyes.
Good news is that I love it and it works brilliantly!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 18:52:48

I tried to buy a dolls house for my grandson once, when he was about four. We saw one in some workshops somewhere. He really wanted it. But his dad put his foot down. sad

etheltbags1 Fri 26-Feb-16 19:55:50

Happy birthday Imperfect, have a lovely day and do treat yourself, life is too short not to enjoy every moment. flowers x

Stansgran Fri 26-Feb-16 20:05:38

Feeling very down after an afternoon with a friend whose husband is very poorly. So I bought an M&S meringue. There are two in the pack and I hid the other at the back of the fridge.