Gransnet forums

Chat

Memories in photographs

(28 Posts)
Imperfect27 Tue 08-Mar-16 08:47:19

For Mothering Sunday my DD sent me a memory stick full of photos of her and DS1 when they were babies. I hadn't seen some of these photos for 17 years ... when my ex left I 'kindly' said 'take the photo albums with you' as I knew (even though it was his choice to leave) that he would be missing the children so much - never thinking that would be the last I ever saw of the albums. Over the years I have asked him to have them back several times - we are on good terms and he is considerate in every other way - but they have never appeared again. I gave up asking and I have inherited family albums from my late mum and dad, but still missed some unique originals. It seems my daughter asked her dad to see the albums when she was expecting GS and then made photo-copies of everything.

As I looked through them, I was simply streaming with tears - happy tears - at having these 'memories' restored after so many years.
Because of my daughter's kindness, I have been reminded of the power of photographs to take us back to particular times and places and additional special memories. To see pictures of my mum holding my daughter at my age - with that soft, proud grand-parenting joy that I now understand so well, also made me feel connected to her in a very special way. And there were a couple of other absolute favourites that bring back sunny paddling-pool days and trips to the beach with little cousins.

Have you got a particular favourite photo / photos and what makes them your favourite?

Imperfect27 Fri 11-Mar-16 06:39:54

I went to a wedding a few years ago where, dotted around on all the tables were photos of older generations, no longer with us. I thought that was a lovely way of honouring the past and acknowledging its contribution to the present.

Synonymous - funny to imagine the look of surprise on a toddler's face when the photographic image they have in their head comes to life before them!

PUTTING UP Photographs really is my favourite part of home-making.

If I was choosing something to show a particular side to me - it could be a teabag: 'Why is a woman like a teabag? Because you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water,' and I have been in hot water a few times in my life ha ha!

Imperfect27 Fri 11-Mar-16 07:03:08

Oooops - that was a senior moment! Meant to post the teabag thing on the 'object that sums you up thread' ... grin