Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it the 1st of April already ?

(44 Posts)
tiggypiro Wed 23-Mar-16 22:52:56

In The telegraph today ............'Tracy Emin declares she is not alone after her 'marriage' to a large stone in France'. Apparently she has married a large ancient stone wearing her father's white funeral shroud !! I'm not sure whether it was her or the stone wearing the shroud but I guess it was the stone !

I rest my case.

Anniebach Wed 23-Mar-16 23:09:13

If it was her fathers shroud was it taken off his body before or after he was interred

Indinana Wed 23-Mar-16 23:15:25

About as potty as the woman who married herself

Galen Wed 23-Mar-16 23:25:26

From my profound psychiatric training ( 2/52 as a medical student in the 1960s) I would say
THEY ARE BOTH NUTTY!

Jalima Wed 23-Mar-16 23:33:47

What, both Tracy Emin AND the stone Galen? grin

It's the thought of the shroud that makes me shudder.

Galen Wed 23-Mar-16 23:52:41

Absolutely! I've met a lot of psychotic stones in my life. Haven't you?
There's a large one at the bottom of my garden I'm very worried about. I swear it's watching me every time I go into the garden.

Nelliemoser Thu 24-Mar-16 00:32:49

Galen You could collect up the stones and the pay someone loads of money to heat them up and lay them down you back to cure all you ills.
If this isn't an April fool joke I don't know what is.
The website description is hilarious.

Pricing
www.healingtouchacademy.co.uk/index.php/component/content/article/2-holistic-treatments/body-treatments/14-stone-therapy

Back £25
Legs £25
Arms & Hand £25
Deep Tissue (30min) £30
Deep Tissue (60min) £45
Deep Tissue(60min) including Cold Stone Facial £65
Cold Stone Facial £25
Full Body £38
Full body including Cold Stone facial £50

ninathenana Thu 24-Mar-16 00:45:56

Stone therapy is one of the elements of D' s beauty therapy course
grin

KatyK Thu 24-Mar-16 16:04:02

I read about someone a while back who married the Berlin wall and also a lady who was in love with the Eiffel tower. She had her surname changed to Eiffel grin

Luckygirl Thu 24-Mar-16 16:08:04

Such a self-publicist! No-one else would have her!

I do not think she is nuts - I think she is very shrewd and trying to keep herself in the public eye.

NathalieMartin Thu 24-Mar-16 16:14:13

Tracey Emin has always sought public attention and outcry. She was probably one of the first experiences that many people had with the concept of 'modern' art.

Elegran Thu 24-Mar-16 16:19:52

A friend's daughter did a beauty therapy course and often gives her a hot stone massage - she says is is wonderful, very relaxing, and takes away aches and pains.

Better than psychotic stones eyeing you up and waiting their chance. Reminds me of an old saying "Ellum hateth man, and waiteth" - the elm apparently has a habit of dropping off a branch without warning, and heaven help you if you are standing underneath.

TerriBull Thu 24-Mar-16 17:18:55

Large stone, I'm scratching my head, Mick Jagger Keith Richard etc, not that large at all! Drugs and nervous energy, quite slim I'd say.

Does she mean stone as in actual inanimate type of rock stone? Most would want a bit more out of marriage than everlasting stony silence grin Few arguments though. Oh well it takes all sorts, at least if she feels like getting stoned grin she has a companion to share it with.

annodomini Thu 24-Mar-16 17:33:33

Is it a standing stone? Perhaps it has some Druidic significance. grin According to the Guardian she was the one wearing the shroud as a wedding dress.

annodomini Thu 24-Mar-16 17:36:10

A hot stone massage sounds horrific but is absolutely wonderful!

Jalima Thu 24-Mar-16 18:14:38

According to that link the rock is 'her anchor'

Why didn't she just marry a real anchor?
I'm sure the RN have got a few to spare.

Imperfect27 Thu 24-Mar-16 18:17:42

I think TE is very shrewd. I saw her 'Intimate' exhibition at Margate and honestly, it was rubbish. 'Emperor's New Clothes' came to mind at the time, but what would a little pleb like me know ...

Jalima Thu 24-Mar-16 18:19:24

Me too Imperfect27 - I have always thought Emperor's New Clothes (and Damian Hurst). Nice work if you can find enough gullible people with plenty of money.

I wonder if there is room for the stone in her unmade bed grin

Imperfect27 Thu 24-Mar-16 18:21:45

I have often thought she seems stoned - perhaps this explains everything! grin

Jalima Thu 24-Mar-16 18:22:15

Imperfect I lol so much I now am having a coughing fit grin

Jalima Thu 24-Mar-16 18:22:43

am now

Kittye Thu 24-Mar-16 18:23:26

Had a hot stone therapy on a cruise once. Wonderful but very expensive!

tiggypiro Thu 24-Mar-16 18:37:02

Just a thought ................ it couldn't be Ed Milliband's stone could it ?

GillT57 Thu 24-Mar-16 18:45:36

Bonkers. While I can sort of see the point of and admire the thought and skills involved in Damien Hirst's pieces, I honestly don't get Tracy Emin at all. I did hear an urban myth once that Saatchi's cleaning lady had hoovered and tidied it all up when he bought it......grin. I can just about grasp some conceptual art but a teenage bedroom littered with dirty laundry, fag ends and take away boxes is not exactly unique is it? Every blinking hall of residence in the country has got lots of them.

annodomini Thu 24-Mar-16 18:49:30

When we were kids we had stone hot water bottles in our beds... grin