Gransnet forums

Chat

Early sumner

(47 Posts)
whitewave Fri 06-May-16 22:01:05

Must just say, that this evening I went into the garden to shut up the greenhouse, and it would be warm enough to sit out.

How good is that!!

hildajenniJ Fri 06-May-16 22:20:20

You're lucky whitewave. Here in Northumberland it is only 10°c. Not quite balmy enough for sitting out, but a vast improvement, as this time last week we had snow showers.

janeainsworth Fri 06-May-16 22:25:37

Not in this part of Northumberland Hilda !
I was actually playing tennis in my skirt this morning.shock
I love early summer. Can't wait for the lilac, azaleas, hardy geraniums and alchemilla mollis to come out. We had goldfinches in the garden this morning.

whitewave Fri 06-May-16 22:26:53

Yes we were in York and Harrogate last week and it snowed!

So 10c is a huge rise☺

ninathenana Sat 07-May-16 00:45:52

We had snow in Kent last week too. I wore sandals and a summer skirt for the first time this year today smile

whitewave Sat 07-May-16 10:18:03

It is absolutely beautiful this morning and really warm. Oh how lovely it is. I adore the summer.

tanith Sat 07-May-16 15:24:24

Its just so nice to open up the doors and eat breakfast listening to and watching the birds on the feeder. Its very warm here but we just had a heavy shower but its still warm and I'm about to take my tea and book to sit outside..
I adore the Summer too...

rosesarered Sat 07-May-16 15:31:08

Really hot here today, just had a family get together and lunch in the garden, and had to go indoors after a while to cool off!

rosesarered Sat 07-May-16 15:47:35

Just now we have a storm, thunder rumbling away loudly and some rain.?⚡️☔️

PRINTMISS Sat 07-May-16 16:12:02

Oh to be in England, roses except of course it is the wrong month for the poem.

rosesarered Sat 07-May-16 16:23:46

But the garden thinks it's the right month PRINTMISS and the wasps do too, just seen 3 of the blighters in the garden.??? grin

NotTooOld Sat 07-May-16 18:11:20

Lovely day here in the West Midlands, too. Very hot - was 22 degs or more - but we've just had a thunder storm. Sunday is forecast to be hot again. Seems like we've sort of missed out on Spring and gone straight into Summer.

MaizieD Sat 07-May-16 18:18:26

Pleasantly warm in Co. Durham this afternoon (at least 16 degrees grin) but it's turned cooler now. Looking forward to promised hot day tomorrow.

Greyduster Sat 07-May-16 18:41:51

We had a superb day today, walking a gritstone edge in the Peak District (with a pub lunch thrown in). It was hot but the north wind took the edge off it. Pity the heat haze spoiled the views but we heard A CUCKOO..... ! Summer is a-coomin' in! This evening it has clouded over and is quite cool.

KatyK Sat 07-May-16 18:47:28

I've just put on another thread that we had a lovely warm sunny day here today. It prompted us to go out and buy new garden furniture smile This evening we have had a fierce hailstorm, black skies and thunder and lightning!

annsixty Sat 07-May-16 19:03:10

It has just started raining heavily here. We have done years of walking in the Peak District and know it so well. I so envy you Greyduster

suzied Sat 07-May-16 19:19:09

It's been lovely here in the SE for a few days and he garden is looking lovely - daffodils, pansies, tulips still blooming. It's as if Summer has come without a Spring! The first BBQof the season planned for tomorrow ! Strike while the iron is hot I say! Last year we hardly had any BBqs .

whitewave Sat 07-May-16 19:25:51

You have to make the most of every day as this may be itshock

BBbevan Sat 07-May-16 19:42:59

We went for a walk in Ashridge this morning. We got there just after 8 o'clock. Only a few other walkers and joggers. Very quiet and peaceful , with the wonderful smell of the bluebells and the occasional may tree. Absolutely beautiful.
We are going walking again tomorrow morning as the weather is so lovely.

rubylady Sun 08-May-16 03:08:54

A bit bad when my first thoughts at the sight of the sun is "oh, I can get some washing out" and "I can chop my sideboard up now and burn it in the incinerator", not "sunbathe, in my bikini!!!" That's next week! wink Good job we are not overlooked! grin

ElaineI Sun 08-May-16 09:51:09

It was so cold yesterday in Edinburgh and not much better today so far. It is so annoying when national news and weather and newspapers keep going on about basking in sunshine etc etc ignoring for the most part the north of the UK.

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 09:54:58

Yes I always get annoyed when parts of the U.K. are getting better weather than me. The weather man always dwells on the positive, I suppose he so rarely gets to do sogrin

Gibby Sun 08-May-16 09:55:35

Another beautiful day, blue sky, fresh new leaves on the trees and birds singing in the garden., does it get better than this? The best things in life are free . . .

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 10:13:03

We are heading to the bluebell woods for a cold pizza (leftovers from yesterday) picnic. But first I have to cook the roast dinner. Sigh. But I can do it with the kitchen door open, whilst listening to our very noisy blackbird. smile

Gagagran Sun 08-May-16 10:30:51

Our blackbird is singing his little heart too jings. Beautiful silvery song - he is the Pavarotti of the bird world. smile