Gransnet forums

Chat

magazines

(90 Posts)
peaceatlast Thu 19-May-16 17:30:55

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I love the sound of a magazine landing on the doormat so I am looking for another one to subscribe to.

I am 64 years old and have tried so many magazines over the past few years but have yet to find "the one" for me.

My interests are, travel, eating out, my home, my family, crafts, cooking/baking, finance appropriate to my lifestyle, short stories (realistic) and interesting articles about people like me.

I am not interested in celebrities or houses that I will never be able to afford or wildlife, country pursuits. I do like the seaside and hanker after living there.

I know I am being fussy but I would just like to combine the relevant bits of magazines I have tried (House Beautiful, Ideal Home, Your Home, My Style, The Simple Things, various craft magazines, The Lady, Saga etc. etc.

I live in a modest 1960s detached house, within walking distance of town and I like to make the most of my home. I spend much of my time/money or buying things to enhance my home (I have a passion for tableware, kitchen things, linen). I spend a fortune as I like to ring the changes regularly. I can be influenced by some of the magazines but only as far as they are relevant/affordable.

I know I am seeking the impossible. Oh yes, and I also hanker after being a 1950s housewife, lol.

Any suggestions, please?

TerriBull Tue 24-May-16 19:34:20

I don't buy magazines anymore I regard them as a waste of money, very little content and a load of adverts. However, I do enjoy a session with a few when I visit the hairdressers.

annodomini Tue 24-May-16 19:02:45

I can't remember when I last bought a women's magazine! I don't miss them at all. Now I get the U3A magazine and that's my lot.

Nonny Tue 24-May-16 18:49:27

I long ago stopped buying womens magazines as I prefer to spend the money on a book. I do suscribe to Current Archaeology and Current World Archaeology which are very interesting.

BlueBellwoods1122 Mon 23-May-16 12:09:51

I am also 64 (just!) and I love Prima and Essentials. They have a good mix of everything and are cheaper than Good Housekeeping and Woman and Home which are now over £4.

Thebeeb Sun 22-May-16 22:52:26

Prima and Essentials. Have it bought for me for Christmas pressie.

Soniah Sun 22-May-16 19:56:30

I read emagazines on my iPad free from the library. If you go to the library website you can put in your lib card info and set up a password then look at the emagazines on offer, Wales has a huge range on offer including artist and illustrator which saves me a lot of money each year but magazines for all interests, Country living, Prima, Good housekeeping, oh too many to mention. You can sign them out but keep them forever and can recall them when ever you want, look at back copies, get reminders when the new issue is available, even the radio times is there. If you prefer a print copy it is a good way to try a magazine before you take out a subscription. Saves me a fortune!

Valerie1928 Sun 22-May-16 18:09:22

I found - "TOP SANTE" - different and interesting but unfortunately had difficulty finding it in the shops regularly, so I ended up subscribing to it. Now I am guaranteed my copy every month. Why don't you give it a try?

Dana6789 Sun 22-May-16 12:25:41

I too have a dislike of celebrity focused magazines etc so I can thoroughly recommend Landscape. It has a good mix of recipes, crafts and short interesting articles and photographs. It is not heavy reading , not puerile either so easy reading. Not oriented towards either sex, so my husband and I both get something out of it. P.S I don't work for the company !

DanniRae Sun 22-May-16 12:07:45

Thank you for your welcome Nelliemoser and Marmight, I didn't read the instructions first - I have now. Here goes..............!

Marmight Sun 22-May-16 08:42:45

Welcome DannieRay. You have certainly made an impression!, winkgrin
I occasionally buy Woman&Home and have Saga delivered monthly - I got a subscription as a joke for late DH's 50th birthday and some 20 years on it is still being delivered so it's the best £50 ever spent....

Nelliemoser Sun 22-May-16 08:29:14

Welcome DannieRay BTW These mulitple posts happen it's not just you. grin

DanniRae Sun 22-May-16 08:11:37

This is my first post - joined up yesterday! Just wanted to say that I really like YOURS magazine and also WOMEN'S WEEKLY (made famous by the much missed Victoria Wood)

DanniRae Sun 22-May-16 08:11:36

This is my first post - joined up yesterday! Just wanted to say that I really like YOURS magazine and also WOMEN'S WEEKLY (made famous by the much missed Victoria Wood)

etheltbags1 Sat 21-May-16 21:20:50

I think that 'woman and home' is probably the nearest to what the OP is looking for. I too love 'country living' and 'homes and gardens' etc but unless a friend gives me a back copy I don't buy one apart from maybe the Christmas one.
I used to love 'pins and needles' when I was a girl and 'womans weekly', you cant get 'pins and needles' now and 'womans weekly' has changed so much, I don't like it. I really hate magazine articles that tell me about celebrity gossip.

When I was a girl I used to read a magazine called 'home chat', my granny used to buy it and it was full of home hints and patterns etc, I would love to find some old copies to reminisce.

Maggieanne Sat 21-May-16 19:32:51

Printmiss, you've said exactly what I thought. One of the first times I read She was when I put it in my suitcase to take to hospital when I had my first baby. It was funny, clever and thoughtful, and you could enjoy every article. Vanessa Feltz and Maureen Lipman had monthly columns, both very good communicators, and then...a new editor. I swear it was all about how to leave your husband, live with your lesbian lover, more sex and no more fun. I gave up and I've yet to find a good, intelligent magazine worth buying.As for so-called celebrities, who are these people that everyone needs to follow and copy, not us by the sound of it! Oh, I did read a magazine in the waiting room some time ago....it was a mens magazine, can't remember the name though.

Nandalot Sat 21-May-16 19:24:24

This thread prompted me to buy a 'Yours' today which I occasionally buy and usually enjoy. It is probably aimed at the more mature but does seem to have a wider range of articles than some. I also like it because it is on very matt, off white paper. I have problems reading the glossies these days as the reflection irritates my eyes.

NonnaAnnie Sat 21-May-16 18:14:28

Good luck with that Numberplease smile

numberplease Sat 21-May-16 18:09:25

NonnaAnnie, I`ve just written to Puzzler as I`ve tried to subscribe to Logic, but the application is geared to paying by Direct debit, and I want to pay using my credit card, I don`t have the right kind of bank account to do direct debit. I wlii be awaiting their reply. Thank you for the link.

Jaibee007 Sat 21-May-16 17:47:40

I don't find any magazines on offer worth buying any more -the only ones I really enjoy nowadays are those ones.ypu get free with newspapers- the others are all full of stupid pointless celebs like the Kardashians & nasty cheap fashions -but the ones aimed at older women are even more witless -seem to assume we are all married all love hideous polyester clothes & spend our time going round National Trust houses or buying new sofas -dear god beyond depressing

nannienet Sat 21-May-16 17:18:02

I really enjoy Good Housekeeping, it's a mixture of all your interested. I love it when it lands on the door mat,an excuse to put the kettle on and some me time!!

Phoebes Sat 21-May-16 16:58:39

I have never heard of Candis! Must look it up. I subscribe to Good Housekeeping, Woman and Home and Prima and they suit me fine. It's much cheaper to subscribe than buy them in the shops. I also read Yours from time to time, but find it a bit elderly in its outlook although some articles are interesting.

TheMaggiejane1 Sat 21-May-16 16:44:24

I bought Woman and Home for the first time this month and was really surprised by how interesting it was. I have had it over a week now and still have not read everything in it.