Gransnet forums

Chat

magazines

(89 Posts)
peaceatlast Thu 19-May-16 17:30:55

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I love the sound of a magazine landing on the doormat so I am looking for another one to subscribe to.

I am 64 years old and have tried so many magazines over the past few years but have yet to find "the one" for me.

My interests are, travel, eating out, my home, my family, crafts, cooking/baking, finance appropriate to my lifestyle, short stories (realistic) and interesting articles about people like me.

I am not interested in celebrities or houses that I will never be able to afford or wildlife, country pursuits. I do like the seaside and hanker after living there.

I know I am being fussy but I would just like to combine the relevant bits of magazines I have tried (House Beautiful, Ideal Home, Your Home, My Style, The Simple Things, various craft magazines, The Lady, Saga etc. etc.

I live in a modest 1960s detached house, within walking distance of town and I like to make the most of my home. I spend much of my time/money or buying things to enhance my home (I have a passion for tableware, kitchen things, linen). I spend a fortune as I like to ring the changes regularly. I can be influenced by some of the magazines but only as far as they are relevant/affordable.

I know I am seeking the impossible. Oh yes, and I also hanker after being a 1950s housewife, lol.

Any suggestions, please?

Izabella Thu 19-May-16 17:48:15

Home farmer and a poultry magazine for me!!!!

NotTooOld Thu 19-May-16 17:51:47

I do remember an earlier thread on magazines. The only one I like is The Oldie but it would not cover the interests you mention above. I gave up on women's magazines years ago as too expensive and too puerile - I won't comment on the likes of Hello! and OK except to say grrrrr..........grin My advice would be to read a book instead!

granjura Thu 19-May-16 17:56:03

There is also a subscription to readly.com
where you can get 100s of magazines on line for a small subscription.

If you have friends with similar interests, you could also subscribe to one magazine each and have a rosta, so you pass them on and exchange- saving on cost and paper, etc. So pleased that my sil brought me all her 2015 copies of the RHS magazines that will come home to Switzerland with me and passed on to other Brits interested in gardening afterwards.

Greyduster Thu 19-May-16 18:08:49

I'm afraid I only read Trout Fisherman these days!

lefthanded Thu 19-May-16 18:18:00

If you have any interest in travelling then I recommend the Sunday Times Travel Magazine. Covers everything from the exotic to the mundane. Every issue is eagerly anticipated in our house.

peaceatlast Thu 19-May-16 18:20:31

Thanks for your replies. Interesting.

Actually I do read a lot of books but sometimes a magazine is what I'm after, something to dip into. I pass on any that I buy except The Simple Things.
I'm hard to please I suppose.

hildajenniJ Thu 19-May-16 18:34:01

I like Country Living Magazine. I don't buy it very often as it is quite expensive
Wow! I've just looked it up. If you subscribe it is £6 for six MN magazines. Shop price £4.50. I might just take out a subscription.😊

Jomarie Thu 19-May-16 18:37:04

Actually I think you have hit the nail on the head because all the things you are seeking I am too (a gap in the market perhaps). I have occasionally picked up the magazine "Yours" and found it interesting - have you tried this? It's aimed at the older generation and whilst it doesn't fulfill all the requirements you and I have, it does do a pretty good job IMO. Worth a try if you haven't already done so. Good hunting. smile

hulahoop Thu 19-May-16 18:48:44

I like (yours ) mag as well some interesting interviews and easy to dip into . A lot of magazines like hello expensive to pay for interviews with so called celebraties I find most magazines have more adverts than ever as anyone else noticed this but I suppose if they weren't then they would be even more expensive .

merlotgran Thu 19-May-16 18:54:20

If you shop around there are sometimes some good free gifts on offer to get you to subscribe to a particular magazine.

I'm currently waiting for my 24 free perennials (probably plug size) that go with my subscription to English Garden for eight months. I will then cancel it and look around for something else.

chocolatepudding Thu 19-May-16 18:55:30

I like Good Housekeeping and Country Living magazines. Buy them on a subscription package to save money.

Antjexix Thu 19-May-16 19:15:09

I also like Good Housekeeping and also like Prima which is quite versatile with fashion,home,craft,recipes ect.

whitewave Thu 19-May-16 19:19:31

DD buys me a Good Housekeeping subscription as part of my Christmas present. I've had it for ever, it has changed over the years and I'm tempted to say it isn't so good, but I think it may be age so I won't. 😀

Kittye Thu 19-May-16 21:01:04

Good Housekeeping here too. My son bought it on subscription for me for a present a few years ago and I've kept up the subscription ever since. I used to also have Woman& Home but it's too similar to GK so I gave that up. Buy others as they take my fancy.

chelseababy Thu 19-May-16 21:08:48

I heard on the radio today that some libraries have online subscription. If yours does you could try out a variety at no cost and see if they suit. I have Prima which comes as a gift with my bank account. Not sure if I'd buy it though I do like the dressmaking patterns.

Regalo Thu 19-May-16 21:18:26

Really enjoy Woman and Home....much cheaper to get on subscription and has a good variety of articles, reports, health, home, garden etc

ninathenana Thu 19-May-16 21:31:29

I'm a regular reader of Yours magazine it has most of the things you say you like to read about.

ninathenana Thu 19-May-16 21:32:27

It's aimed at 55+ age group and doesn't have celeb gossip.

Thingmajig Thu 19-May-16 21:33:51

Have you looked at Essentials and Prima??? Both seem to cover most of what you're interested in. smile

numberplease Thu 19-May-16 21:45:22

Sorry to go off topic, but what I have difficulty finding are the Logic puzzle magazines. I don`t want all the other sorts of puzzles, just Logic, but it seems to be very hit and miss if they have them in stock. In 9 months I`ve managed to buy 2!

ClaraB Thu 19-May-16 21:55:07

I love Conde Nast Traveller, buy one issue and if you like it you can then subscribe at about half the normal price. It's full of lovely luxury holidays but great for ideas and then I do a cheaper version.

chelseababy Thu 19-May-16 22:13:39

I've found logic puzzle books in Sainsburys. I'm not much good at them!

numberplease Thu 19-May-16 22:16:36

We don`t have Sainsburys here, the only place I`ve found them is W.H.Smith, but very rarely.

cangran Fri 20-May-16 10:56:48

I've also had Good Housekeeping on subscription forever (I see it's going up in price). I usually skip the celebrity features and it increasingly seems like a lot of it, even the articles, are full of ads for expensive beauty products & clothes, but I still find a few pieces of interest when I want a light read, and pass it on to a friend when finished so at least it feels like the subscription is worthwhile.