Gransnet forums

Chat

doing up furniture

(29 Posts)
etheltbags1 Wed 25-May-16 10:22:37

My latest hobby is doing up old furniture (or would be if I can find any decent advice), I read a DIY mag a few weeks ago where a couple had a decent table but lacked chairs so they bought odd ones and stripped and painted them, they looked lovely so that is what I want advice for.
Ive bought 2 chairs for £8, from the local junk shop, I have read all sorts of books and got conflicting advice from sending them to be dipped professionally to just paint on top of the varnish. My friend says she just rubs down a bit and then just paints over what is left.
Has anyone got any advice, perhaps from experience.
I also want to cover the seat pad of one chair, I have a heavy duty staple gun but no idea how to do it. Will post a before and after pic soon.

gettingonabit Mon 18-Jul-16 08:56:27

The more open the weave, the less likely paint is to work, in my experience.

I've successfully painted my little old Ll L cabinet (silver) but wrecked a chair trying to paint it.

Spray would be better for a basket imvho.

Coolgran65 Mon 18-Jul-16 09:54:15

These are two pieces that dh painted up last week using the chalk paint from B & Q.
The items were previously dark and rustic, it took 3 coats of paint which were followed by 3 coats of wax.

This week it's planned to tackle our table and chairs. Keeping the table top and the chair seat/back rungs as they are at present, and painting table legs and parts of the chairs in Antique White.

annsixty Mon 18-Jul-16 10:18:54

Those are lovely Coolgran a real labour of love. Do show the other pieces when they are done.