Gransnet forums

Chat

IoW help please

(33 Posts)
GandTea Sat 04-Jun-16 21:05:20

Does anyone know Sandown IOW ?
We stayed at what we think was the Manor House Hotel in Sandown IoW in 1965. Can anyone remeber it and tell us where it was please

rogerb45 Fri 11-Nov-16 09:51:51

Hello

My parents stayed there when they got married in 1957 and several years after. I have photos of the hotel, but can't find it on google. It is not the same as the picture shown on this thread.I would also love to know where it is/was, but no luck - must have been demolished years ago. If you would like me to send copies of pictures, please let me know.

Thanks

callgirl1 Fri 11-Nov-16 17:39:47

I`ve been trying to find somewhere we stayed in 1971, at Freshwater Bay. Couldn`t find any listings in holiday accommodation, so looked at Google street view. It was a pub that took guests, but we rented the flat upstairs and loved it. Turns out it`s now a private house.

Granarchist Sat 12-Nov-16 00:01:13

I was at school in Shanklin then!!! Memory not good enough for hotels tho!

Lobli Tue 29-Aug-17 06:45:15

Hi, the hotel you are discussing was the Manor House. It is now apartments and cottages known now as Shanklin Manor. I have added a screenshot taken from Google earth. However if you type Shanklin Manor on Google you will find property advertised there for sale on Rightmove. My Nanna and Grandpa managed this hotel in the 60's and 70's. So my Nanna would probably recognise the customers and I am sure she would enjoy hearing from you as she is still managing a bed and breakfast 50 years later. She has a very good memory, her name is Jennifer.

Lobli Tue 29-Aug-17 07:09:59

The lake you are thinking of is actually the Duck pond. That's how my nanny refers to it. It is between shanklin manor and the church. You can see it on the map. The hotel used to have a huge swimming pool but it was filled in so you çant see it on Google earth now.

Lobli Tue 29-Aug-17 07:25:39

You can find me on Facebook. My name is Lorien Blizard

Auntieflo Tue 29-Aug-17 08:06:48

We spent our honeymoon on IOW in 1961, and went back as part of our 50th anniversary celebrations. I think we must have stayed at the Manor House by the looks of the photo. We couldn't remember the hotel name either, but we did find a comfy place to stay and it was nice to go back for a while. I do remember the exotic bright red cannas growing in the grounds, as I hadn't seen them before.