Gransnet forums

Chat

hostess trolley

(90 Posts)
peaceatlast Mon 06-Jun-16 16:11:46

Over the years I have had various hostess trolleys and have found them to be quite useful. My family, whilst being more than willing to partake of the hot food, make a bit of a joke of me having one.

Anyway, I am currently thinking of updating mine to one of those brushed steel versions and just wondered if anyone has one or are they really so naff?

I do cook/entertain a lot and can afford a new one.

holcott48 Sat 11-Jun-16 11:28:18

I've had hostess trolleys since 1973 and can't time meals without it! Don't need to so never do!

Stansgran Fri 10-Jun-16 18:57:43

And using the wretched trouser press for MY trousers and Scarves. It never occurred to me. Oh wonderful Gransnet.

peaceatlast Fri 10-Jun-16 08:58:51

Thanks, Maggiemaybe, of course, I should have realised.

Maggiemaybe Thu 09-Jun-16 23:48:53

MN = Mumsnet. The dark side. grin

peaceatlast Thu 09-Jun-16 21:00:44

What's MN? You've got me wondering now.

I love how threads can wander all over the place and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your contributions.

I didn't even know about the Vitoria Wood's song till I started this thread. I obviously have led a sheltered life!

The decision is definite now, I'm ordering my brushed steel one from John Lewis tomorrow and look forward to hours of fun using it (for keeping food hot, you understand).

Katek Thu 09-Jun-16 18:35:02

"Let's do it tonight.......!"grin

willsmadnan Thu 09-Jun-16 18:25:59

As the thread has reprised 1950s-60s magazine's, I just have one thing to say.......'beat me on the bottom with the Woman's Weekly'.... blush

SwayingSlightly Thu 09-Jun-16 17:22:54

I bought this from Aldi's aisle of randomness last autumn for £25.
It lives in the bottom of the 'double' length corner cupboard in the kitchen when not needed. It's a variable heat hot plate hot plate with a frame that fits the serving dishes, so you can put your own heatproof serving dishes on the plate if you wish.
It's brilliant for a large meals (Christmas/dinner parties), but also for less formal dining, like hot buffet dishes and BBQ's. Would expect them to appear again in Aldi in the autumn, and would thoroughly recommend it.

kittylester Thu 09-Jun-16 17:19:20

JL have some really nice contemporary ones. I must come over as having a Hostess trolley fetish to go with my Le Creuset one. I lead a really exciting life, you can tell.

Grannyintraining Thu 09-Jun-16 16:50:45

Just to add that I hadn't thought about my Hostess Trolley or the lack of it until the sad passing of Victoria Wood...I love the ballad..so funny

Grannyintraining Thu 09-Jun-16 16:47:33

I absolutely loved my Hostess Trolley and after doing without one for 11 years, would have another one immediately if only there was room and they made them more contemporary in design??? Now that's an idea??

Bellanonna Thu 09-Jun-16 14:55:43

Yes, Ethel, as I child I always took a sneak peek at the problems page in mum's Womsn and Woman's Own. Evelyn Home was in Woman but can't remember the other agony aunt. I know women got really reprimanded for "anticipating" marriage while other readers complained they and their partner were living as brother and sister, whereupon they were told to tart themselves up with "pretty" underwear. How different things were back then. Oh Mary Grant was the other one.

etheltbags1 Thu 09-Jun-16 14:24:32

I wish I could afford one char, I meant chairs of which Im renovating. Its taking ages.
as for Peoples Friend it went all modern, I don't know if tis still in existence but I loved it the old way, I used to sneak to read it as a child and it was thought too grown up for me, I used to read Mary Marryatt column about relationships etc and found it fascinating.

willsmadnan Thu 09-Jun-16 13:15:35

Who would have thought the dear old Hostess trolley would generate 75 posts! And wandered off thread enough to include Teasmades, frizzy perms, the Peoples' Friend, and the late, great Victoria Wood. You wouldn't get that on MN. (going off to wash my mouth out now)

peaceatlast Thu 09-Jun-16 12:19:11

Peoples Friend brings back memories of my friend's mum reading it and knitting the patterns from it.

Bellanonna Thu 09-Jun-16 12:15:09

Oh I should have realised it was granny. I thought you actually MEANT franny - which I misread -but thought it must be some kind of frizzy perm when I read it again. My initial reaction was a bit eye-watering tho people do all kinds of things....

kittylester Thu 09-Jun-16 12:06:48

Type read kitty! How many times do I have to remind myself!

Granny perm!! Actually, and various other errors!

Bellanonna Thu 09-Jun-16 12:03:49

Omg, I misread franny. Sorry Kitty blush

Peoples Friend racy? Mind you, I've never read it!

kittylester Thu 09-Jun-16 11:59:41

Amazon was just a twinkle in someone's eye when I bought mine and people's friend was considered very racy!!

Occurs they now cone with a free franny perm, shawl and rocking chair!

Bellanonna Thu 09-Jun-16 11:46:13

No,, I think that's People's Friend, Alea, which describes itself as best read with a biscuit and a cuppa, kept warm on the trolley no doubt. The cuppa that is. Or maybe the reader.?

Alea Thu 09-Jun-16 11:35:52

Is it true that if you buy a Hostess trolley on Amazon, it comes with a year's subscription to Woman's Weekly?
grin

NanKate Thu 09-Jun-16 11:33:07

We bought from Lakeland 3 plastic plate warmers. All you do is put one on the plate, then the next plate and warmer etc and heat in microwave for 1 minute. It keeps them warm for a while.

Reddevil3 Thu 09-Jun-16 11:03:36

I have a simple gadget thing which warms plates. It is fabric covering electrical coils, and takes up no more room than a pile of dinner plates, as it folds back on itself.
As it's fabric it is easy to store. It releases my second oven for food.
I have heated a maximum of 8 plates, have had it for ages and it cost about £12
I think.

TizzMee Wed 08-Jun-16 14:37:36

Like many others, my trolley hardly gets used, BUT I still wouldn't be without it, if only to warm plates. Can't stand hot food on cold plates.

Bellanonna Wed 08-Jun-16 12:28:55

Could you send one to me please ethel, if you can dispense with her??