Gransnet forums

Chat

hostess trolley

(89 Posts)
peaceatlast Mon 06-Jun-16 16:11:46

Over the years I have had various hostess trolleys and have found them to be quite useful. My family, whilst being more than willing to partake of the hot food, make a bit of a joke of me having one.

Anyway, I am currently thinking of updating mine to one of those brushed steel versions and just wondered if anyone has one or are they really so naff?

I do cook/entertain a lot and can afford a new one.

Greyduster Mon 06-Jun-16 16:45:47

I have had a cabinet one for years. It was a present from my son, but it now only gets used at christmas as we don't dine people as often as we used to. It takes up a lot of space. I think one of the table top ones would be more practical.

chelseababy Mon 06-Jun-16 17:14:56

I always wanted one and on one of her many house moves my MIL gave me hers. It got used twice! I've kept the Pyrex dishes but the fake mahogany trolley is no more.

mumofmadboys Mon 06-Jun-16 17:27:21

They seem to take up quite a lot of room. My mum had one. I personally wouldn't want one although we entertain a lot but if you want one peaceat last and have the room go for it!

Katek Mon 06-Jun-16 17:46:07

I just think of Victoria Wood's classic song when somebody mentions hostess trolleys! Sorry!

Marmight Mon 06-Jun-16 18:24:41

My Mum and Dad had one. On a Sunday, if cooking BSL (bloody Sunday lunch according to my Dad) he would cook/murder all the vegetables and place them in the ready heated hostess trolley by around 11.30 am for a 1 o'clock lunch until the roast was ready, then he would carve/attack the meat while shouting 'Dorotheeee, this bloody beef is undercooked. The table shook as he wrenched the knife back and forth, and then, alleluiah, the veggies were poured onto the plate and lunch commenced. As soon as he died, I donated the wretched thing to a good cause! I am sure, properly used they are a very useful item, but I wouldn't give house room to one for all the tea in Chinagrin

peaceatlast Mon 06-Jun-16 18:36:34

Lol, thanks for your comments. If used properly (remembering that some food does not benefit from being kept hot for up to 4 hours), I am still tempted. I have the room, for sure, I have the company regularly and, if it gains me the opportunity to sit with a nice glass of wine before everyone arrives.....

Decision made. I can live with the "ridicule".

Now, to the John Lewis website......

Jangran99 Mon 06-Jun-16 18:50:34

I have had my trolley for years and it is used every time the family comes to dinner.I would not be without it for the freedom from the tyranny of timing everything to be ready at once although I would not leave food warming for long.
Enjoy and ignore the 'off your trolley'remarks!

peaceatlast Mon 06-Jun-16 18:55:01

You are right, Jangran99. I will.

willsmadnan Mon 06-Jun-16 19:16:34

I was going to ditch ours as we really only used it at Christmas if family were over, but I think I'll hang on to it as I plucked up the courage to invite a few friends for lunch last w/e and as it was the first time I'd flown solo, so to speak, it was invaluable. I loaded everything into the heated trolley 10 mins before guests arrived, and I was able to ply them with aperitifs, chat like the perfect hostessgrin, herd them to the table and serve piping hot food. An enjoyable experience, which I had approached with a little trepidation. The hostess trolley has been reprieved!

peaceatlast Mon 06-Jun-16 19:26:31

Sounds good, willsmadnan. May you continue to get good use out of it. I love having people round but my worst disasters in catering were when I was "in between hostess trolleys". I have a double oven and various other gadgets, e.g. a great buffet server, but for all round versatility, the trolley wins.

Blinko Mon 06-Jun-16 19:40:33

Ah, so this is about hostess trolleys and not Victoria Wood..... oops! smile

Liaise Mon 06-Jun-16 20:25:40

I only have one oven so use my hostess trolley regularly. Couldn't manage without it especially when we have visitors.

kittylester Mon 06-Jun-16 20:30:52

I love mine and wouldn't be without it!blush

granjura Mon 06-Jun-16 20:37:48

Lucky to have 2 kitchens and 3 ovens- very useful for entertaining and visitors

Alea Mon 06-Jun-16 21:27:55

Teasmaids and trouser presses are also considered by some to be naff, but I used to LOVE my teas maid and have taken full possession of DH's trouser press for my exclusive use especially in summer for my trousers!
I don't have anywhere to keep a hostie, but with a range cooker with 4 ovens shouldn't need one although I am sure they are really useful.

peaceatlast Mon 06-Jun-16 21:31:14

I have two kitchens too but unfortunately the previous owners removed the cooker as I would have liked more than the double oven I have in the new one that they built. Mind you, it does leave me plenty of space for the hostess trolley, lol.

peaceatlast Mon 06-Jun-16 21:34:24

I remember the teasmaids but never had one. I only like fresh milk in my tea so would have had to have a fridge too!

annsixty Mon 06-Jun-16 21:44:20

I use my very ancient teasmade every day. It gives me half an hour of peace in the morning. I must admit these last few very hot nights have made the milk a bit "creamy" but it is never "off" and it is worth it to me.

peaceatlast Mon 06-Jun-16 22:26:35

I can see why you enjoy it. There's nothing like a cuppa when you waken up. Best drink of the day.

rubysong Mon 06-Jun-16 23:24:33

I'm another fan of the teasmade. We love having a cuppa before we get up in there morning and manage to keep the milk fresh in summer by the use of a small insulated container. It is worth the effort.
I also have a hostess tray which is very useful at Christmas or entertaining.
These two items possibly make me naff but do I care? Not a bit☺

rosesarered Mon 06-Jun-16 23:27:39

Never had a hostess trolley or a teas made, ....but now I want them! the power of advertising.

kittylester Tue 07-Jun-16 06:34:25

Our hostess trolley gets called into use whenever we have any largish family event, which is quite often with all our lot! We've had one since 1978 and it was used regularly. I recently replaced the one with Pyrex dishes for one with a heated top and full heated cupboard. I find it takes the pressure off as I can heat serving dishes as well as keeping things warm ( for a short while!!) I make meringues in mine too.

We had a teasmaid years ago but have been thinking about getting another. I'd love a trouserpress, Alea especially for linen trousers!!

Greyduster Tue 07-Jun-16 07:48:52

DH has had a trouser press for years - he never uses it since he left work. I really never thought of putting my trousers in it smile.

Alea Tue 07-Jun-16 07:57:31

Dare I admit we have TWO? DH worked away from home some years ago and bought himself another one for use in the flat he was renting. Dare I admit further that I use them both? I also find them handy to give a top (or a scarf) a quick hands free press while I am in the shower and for newly washed/drip dried trousers which often then don't even need ironing.
#doaslittleaspossible