Gransnet forums

Chat

40th Birthday Gift - Son

(82 Posts)
Kateykrunch Wed 08-Jun-16 15:54:52

My son will be 40 in December and I am hoping to get some gift ideas from you please, I don't (well, can't) really spend more than £500. I dont want to ask him for his ideas at the moment as I just know his ideas will be much more expensive than I want to spend. (he has a special way of making me want to tip the contents of my purse into his hands as it is). I have thought of a City Break for him and his wife (we will babysit the 2 GC), a short break, 400 shiny £1 coins or the cash, can any of you help with some more ideas please.

Kateykrunch Sat 18-Jun-16 17:15:18

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me some really good ideas.

YankeeGran Fri 10-Jun-16 08:28:01

However much you can afford, it's surely not about the amount but the thought behind it - or am I being insanely naive for a woman in her 70s?! Our son inherited a box of bits and pieces from my father - nothing of any great value, except for a vintage Hamilton (American) watch which no one seemed able to repair. DS was eager to wear it and asked us if we could find someone in London who might be able to fix it. Searched high and low, in London and throughout the UK on the internet. No luck. The necessary part was simply not available in the UK.

I am nothing if not determined, so I widened my search and found someone in the northwest USA who said he could fix it - for £150. Did I dare trust him/the US postal system, etc and send it? Well it wasn't any good as it was, the website seemed genuine and brief correspondence confirmed a positive feeling, so I took a chance.

Watch repairer delivered as promised and DS was delighted to get his grandfather's working watch for his 40th. He wears it daily, it keeps excellent time and he and loves it!

suzied Fri 10-Jun-16 07:37:24

Girls are easier to buy special presents for as you can always get jewellery. How about a watch? Or a top of the range mobile phone , something he'll use every day.

Pippa000 Fri 10-Jun-16 05:53:14

Katycrunch - I hope your son has a fab birthday, no matter what you get him, I am sure it will be appreciated. My DS & DiL had their 40th weeks apart and we got them a new top of the range tumble dryer, at their request. But I do like the idea of Llama trekking. Perhaps for the next 'big one' grin

Maggiemaybe Thu 09-Jun-16 23:35:39

Right. confused

Juggernaut Thu 09-Jun-16 23:01:37

millymouge
The Llama trekking day we've booked is in Lancashire, but I think there are quite a few places in this country doing it.
He and his wife won't be riding the llamas, you walk alongside them, and they carry your pack.
They'll be having an afternoon tea after the 'main event' too, he's a 'cakey face' so he'll have fun!
Maggiemaybe
I mentioned that we have booked a Llama trekking day for DH's friend, I wasn't recommending that Kateykrunch did that for her son!

Riverwalk Thu 09-Jun-16 22:45:37

I wonder if it's the mention of the actual cash amount that's caused some of the comments!

If the OP had said she wants to treat her son and DIL to a weekend away for his birthday and was looking for suggestions would there be such snippy remarks? No, lots of people would have chipped-in with various suggestions of hotels that they'd stayed in. But you wouldn't get much change from £500 for a weekend for two, would you.

The OP, like most on GN, is anonymous - how can she be boasting?

Elrel Thu 09-Jun-16 22:36:22

DS is almost 40 too. About to move house, money tight so I'll wait until they've moved and ask what's needed I think. Sure he'd love a Red Letter Day experience or short break with DP, perhaps I'm being too practical!

dramatictessa Thu 09-Jun-16 22:13:50

Kateykrunch spend what you like on your son and ignore the miseries on here. I've had a fair few one-off experiences bought for me and the one I thought was most thrilling was a lesson in flying a glider Just fabulous! You could get a good number of lessons on your budget.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 09-Jun-16 22:11:35

j have you been reading this thread? [confused

Kateykrunch Thu 09-Jun-16 22:11:11

Rozina....who says?

Tegan Thu 09-Jun-16 22:09:57

It isn't 'anyone'. It's her son....

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 09-Jun-16 22:09:55

But, that's not your business. It's not what the thread is about.

rozina Thu 09-Jun-16 22:03:13

£500 is far, far too much to spend on anyone's birthday.

rozina Thu 09-Jun-16 22:01:53

All I'd like to say is £500 is far, far too much to spend on anyone's birthday.

Kateykrunch Thu 09-Jun-16 22:00:11

no....words fail me!

Jalima Thu 09-Jun-16 21:38:22

£500! shock Good grief, words fail me!
Thank goodness you posted that phoenix
I was beginning to feel really mean as I wasn't thinking of spending anywhere near that
I didn't spend that much on DDIL and it wouldn't seem right to spend more on DS than I did on her.

Oh dear ......

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 09-Jun-16 19:49:00

Just thought I mention you don't ride on the llama, you are walking along with it, holding the reins. Shame that! grin

I fancied it so had a look on Google. wink

Kateykrunch Thu 09-Jun-16 18:19:34

Keep em coming!, some really fab ideas and definitely ones I hadn't thought of, (can't do the Llama one though as he is very allergic to many animals). Thank you so much for all your input.

Maggiemaybe Thu 09-Jun-16 14:56:07

You can go llama trekking in the Yorkshire Dales, millymouge.

Maggiemaybe Thu 09-Jun-16 14:53:33

If you're spending so much and money is tight for him, as you say, I'd ask him what he wants. You know him best, of course, but he might not enjoy llama trekking so much if he's really hankering after a Sky subscription, a good phone, a garden shed.

clarriecat Thu 09-Jun-16 14:23:34

I too am struggling to think,of something for my DD and SIL who have a fortieth four weeks apart. The meal thing is an option, but they tend to go out for meals quite regularly anyway. Keep the suggestions flowing please!!

rosesarered Thu 09-Jun-16 13:56:21

I had not even given one thought to a 40th being anything special.....why is it?
However, if you want to do something thoughtful , pay for a nice meal out somewhere for him and DIL while you baby-sit( if you are able to) if he is not married then it's more difficult, only you knows what he likes.

millymouge Thu 09-Jun-16 13:56:19

JUGGERNAUT I have to ask this what is a Llama trecking day, sounds marvellous. Is it in this country or did he have to go abroad? My birthday idea might be a hot air balloon ride. Get a lot going over us early mornings.

grove1234 Thu 09-Jun-16 13:53:59

sons 40 th sent son and wife to a spa [Harrods Do.t bother) cost £400 .
wanted to give something they could both enjoy men like indulgences too .Son has paid for many treats so now that i can i enjoy giving to him .