Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling rather sorry for The Queen

(239 Posts)
GillT57 Fri 10-Jun-16 12:05:14

As always, I have Radio 4 on in the office, and this morning is full live coverage of the Queen's 90th birthday celebration in Westminster Abbey (I think). Gosh, poor soul, what a dreary, dismal po faced service it is. It is supposed to be a celebration! I know there wouldn't be balloons and party poppers and there are other events, but golly this is sooooooo dreary......all that organ music...

NotTooOld Sat 11-Jun-16 21:06:46

Jalima - re the letter writing, this was while they were mostly living at Buck Pal - so they could presumably have walked down the corridor and actually spoken to each other!

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 21:11:49

It is so huge, though, could be a mile or so from one office to another.
But perhaps they wanted it in writing for future reference.

NotTooOld Sat 11-Jun-16 21:15:20

Between mother and son? Sounds weird to me. Still I suppose it's not much different to sticking a note on the fridge with a magnet which is what we used to do sometimes! grin

Ana Sat 11-Jun-16 21:16:41

Yes, and it was probably about official business, not just chit-chat about the health of the corgis! grin

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 21:20:20

We are always writing notes to each other, otherwise we forget everything.

TheMaggiejane1 Sat 11-Jun-16 22:58:33

Can't understand how William and Harry can stand next to that ghastly woman (Camilla) she makes my skin creep.

Elrel Sat 11-Jun-16 23:02:40

I concluded that if they were willing to accept her it's not my business.

Anniebach Sat 11-Jun-16 23:13:44

You know her MaggieJane? Perhaps they have no problem in standing next to their step mother because they not only know her, they know the full story

merlotgran Sat 11-Jun-16 23:19:12

William and Harry will always remain loyal to their mother and cling to their memories. That's as it should be. However, they have no doubt accepted that Camilla makes their father happy and will support him when he becomes king.

Win Win.

Anniebach Sat 11-Jun-16 23:37:57

And they may be fond of her

Newquay Sat 11-Jun-16 23:53:14

I have every admiration for the queen and her husband-there are not that many 90/95 year olds who are that Spritely. Good for them. But they are unelected and unaccountable. Surely it's time to put a stop to this farce? Seeing all those hangers on, telling us how much their frocks and shoes cost and never done a day's work.

hermione89 Sun 12-Jun-16 06:27:53

I so agree with you about the gloom but this is to thank God for the Queen's long reign, so I suppose it has to be solemn. Wouldn't do for me though smile

Anniebach Sun 12-Jun-16 07:49:21

I doubt queenie would have wanted a happy clappy service, and it was her birthday thanks giving service , no one else's

Lillie Sun 12-Jun-16 09:22:15

I agree with Newquay about all those minor hangers-on in their finery. They should be quietly removed and no longer parade themselves, because they add nothing to such occasions nor to royal life in general. That was my point in allowing Camilla's grandson a place on the balcony. I have nothing against step children/grandchildren, but thought here comes another hanger-on with no doubt ten more Camilla relatives waiting for her to become Queen or whatever so they can join the queue and appear in their posh frocks too. They are NOT of royal blood.
In addition I dislike Camilla too, I was a Diana contemporary and think she was treated very badly.

thatbags Sun 12-Jun-16 09:36:28

I've decided I never feel sorry for the Queen. I reckon she's had it good and still does. There's no resentment in those sentences. I agree with Stephen Fry's empirical argument about monarchies even though, theoretically, republics seem a better idea.

Re hangers on and the gallery parade, this article by Camilla Long about Beatrice's fashion sense made me chuckle. You have to scroll down past the stuff about bull rhinos.

Anniebach Sun 12-Jun-16 09:39:26

Kate Cambridge isn't a Royal, she married one, same with Diana, Queen Mother and many more . I think if you wish to speak of royal blood, then only Phillip can claim this , both parents were royals

NotTooOld Sun 12-Jun-16 17:44:00

thatbags - agree with you. Hard to feel sorry for someone who has led such a privileged life. I still giggle about Princess Margaret scalding her feet in the bath - remember that? Could she not have jumped straight out or was she just too royal to do that without the aid of a minion? Sorry, slightly irreverant - giggle over. grin

Merlotgran - do you have insider information about how William and Harry feel about their mother? Just wondering. Camilla seems ok to me. At least she has put a smile on the face of one right royal grumpy (see another thread).

thatbags Sun 12-Jun-16 17:55:53

I once read something one of the princes said. I think it was William. It was quoted. He didn't have a problem with Camilla; he was happy that she had made his father happy.

merlotgran Sun 12-Jun-16 18:49:01

NotTooOld I am staggered over the cruelty of your post. It can't surely be for real?

Princess Margaret was already ill and obviously not capable of jumping out of a scalding bath. She spent the rest of her life in pain and in a wheelchair.

NotTooOld Sun 12-Jun-16 18:57:56

Sorry, merlotgran. I probably went over the top there. Shouldn't be so unfeeling. Many apologies.

PS Why did the miniions leave her in the scalding bath though? Shouldn't they have remained in attendance?

Jalima Sun 12-Jun-16 19:10:19

I still giggle about Princess Margaret scalding her feet in the bath - remember that? Could she not have jumped straight out or was she just too royal to do that without the aid of a minion? Sorry, slightly irreverant - giggle over.
shock
That is a truly nasty thing to say about a woman who had had a stroke and presumably unable to 'jump straight out'.
Let's hope it never happens to you NotTooOld
I have come across cases of scalding over the years and some of the stories still make my stomach churn.

Anniebach Sun 12-Jun-16 19:13:30

I felt so sorry for Margaret as she aged , she seemed so lost

Jalima Sun 12-Jun-16 19:15:50

She and AAJ produced two level-headed children - surprisingly - and her daughter seems a lovely person.

Tegan Sun 12-Jun-16 19:16:20

Of all the Royals I felt [could be wrong]that she did the least when it came to charity work etc.

Tegan Sun 12-Jun-16 19:16:44

I agree about her children.