Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling rather sorry for The Queen

(238 Posts)
GillT57 Fri 10-Jun-16 12:05:14

As always, I have Radio 4 on in the office, and this morning is full live coverage of the Queen's 90th birthday celebration in Westminster Abbey (I think). Gosh, poor soul, what a dreary, dismal po faced service it is. It is supposed to be a celebration! I know there wouldn't be balloons and party poppers and there are other events, but golly this is sooooooo dreary......all that organ music...

aggie Fri 10-Jun-16 12:08:12

I would rather have a lie in and breakfast in bed than all that fuss

GillT57 Fri 10-Jun-16 12:20:52

Same here. Poor woman. All those pompous self important speakers. I would have thought the lesson would have been learnt after the dreadful river pageant when it lashed with rain all day and it almost killed Prince Phillip. They are very elderly and although used to a lifetime of sitting through tedious events, this service could surely have been a lot shorter and a bit more uplifting.

Anniebach Fri 10-Jun-16 12:50:22

I am sure as a Christian queenie found it uplifting and not tedious , what pompous speakers? Organ music is played in church services and the balloons etc will be there for her tomorrow

merlotgran Fri 10-Jun-16 13:11:30

I thought it was a lovely service and just what the Queen would have expected.

Juliette Fri 10-Jun-16 13:42:41

I too thought it was very good. The highlights for me were the young pianist and Mrs. Hilda Price the Queen's birthday twin.
On a nod to another thread my auntie would have loved every minute of it.

Nelliemoser Fri 10-Jun-16 15:32:14

I admire her for not having nodded off during some of these ceremonies.
I would have been doing that and she is about 20 yrs older than me. I wonder if she does take a nap. How does she cope when she gets that desperately sleepy feeling.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jun-16 15:50:18

I agree with Anniebach. They had to get the God bit the thanksgiving side of it over first. The rest of the weekend for fun.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jun-16 15:51:32

I think she would have loved the music, and found peace in the service.

Anniebach Fri 10-Jun-16 16:08:51

Expect she was pleased the Gate of The Year was quoted

Lazigirl Fri 10-Jun-16 16:28:42

I heard they would be playing music during the service to celebrate her German heritage. smile

Iam64 Fri 10-Jun-16 17:40:26

I only heard half an hour but it sounded ideal as part of the formal, traditional celebrations. I'm sure the Queen enjoyed it more than some of the light entertainment she has to sit through.

Charleygirl Fri 10-Jun-16 19:21:20

I cannot believe that Price Phillip is now 95 years old. I also think that William and Harry could do more to relieve her.

Anniebach Fri 10-Jun-16 20:40:12

You mean they should come out of early retirement Charleygirl? smile

Jalima Fri 10-Jun-16 20:51:49

Early retirement Anniebach?
I thought it was an extended gap year

Jalima Fri 10-Jun-16 20:53:03

But, to be fair, she was the only one who could have gone to her own birthday service smile

Ana Fri 10-Jun-16 20:59:29

And I'm sure the family discuss responsibilities etc. among themselves - perhaps The Queen and Prince Philip want to do as much as they can, while they can.

It's not very likely Wills and Harry say 'Sorry Granny, I'm too busy gadding about to help you out...' hmm

NotTooOld Fri 10-Jun-16 21:22:21

Ana - I doubt the royal family 'discuss responsibilities' - I think they only communicate by memo don't they? grin

I was surprised to see how much coverage Channel 4 news gave to Muhammad Ali's funeral tonight and how little they gave to the Queen's birthday. I'm no royalist but it was The Muhammed Ali Show with HRH having a very small walk on part. Not right IMO.

Anniebach Fri 10-Jun-16 21:36:18

Not the Muhammad Ali show, Muhammad Ali's funeral . Was there a HRH Windsor there?

NotTooOld Fri 10-Jun-16 22:06:37

That bit was a joke, Anniebach. Not even President Obama was at the funeral - he was attending his daughter's graduation.

Ana Fri 10-Jun-16 22:09:50

What do you mean - 'by memo'?
Do they never actually speak to each other...? hmm

Anniebach Fri 10-Jun-16 22:17:37

Obama was at his daughters graduation NotTooOld

vampirequeen Sat 11-Jun-16 09:33:00

Aren't the Royals High Church? If they are, then it was the type of service she'd have enjoyed.

Anniebach Sat 11-Jun-16 09:39:04

I didn't think it high church , just the usual made up for the occasion service , didn't notice the waving of smells etc

Shrimp Sat 11-Jun-16 10:19:21

I was very upset for them- the tedious climb up the steps of St Paul's, the meet and greet, the interminable wait while the parade wended its endless way in, the long walk down the aisle, and then to top it all they couldn't even sit down when they arrived at their seats but had to stand for a dreary homily that went on and on. It all seemed so unkind, and to take them and their health for granted.