Gransnet forums

Chat

Bingo and Chips

(15 Posts)
Greyduster Fri 17-Jun-16 15:14:51

I remember the first time I ever went down to Wales to meet my in laws, we were dragged off to the " 'Stute" (the Miners Institute) by DH's mum and dad, and it was bingo night. I had never played bingo so politely declined a card, and sat there, not daring to speak, for most of the evening while this was taking place. Riveting stuff, I can tell you ?. I think it just reinforced my mother in law's opinion that I was a snotty English cow and DH should have chosen a nice Welsh girl instead! A couple of years ago, while visiting the family, we ran into the one she had originally got marked out for him. Enough said!!

Teetime Thu 16-Jun-16 15:35:14

Ah I see - yes we had it at school I remember. It a requirement for RCs- what's the reasons - I am genuinely interested please.

Charleygirl Thu 16-Jun-16 15:11:54

Teetime I could not agree more re the bingo but I would add that I would not be singing along to Vera Lynn type songs but Queen and the Rolling Stones would be different. I can tolerate Countdown because it does get my brain working but no other game shows.

Until I lived on my own we always had fish on Fridays, at school and at home for the reason that Ana gave.

Ana Thu 16-Jun-16 13:43:27

In case there are any strict Catholics among them? We always had fish on Fridays for school dinner.

Teetime Thu 16-Jun-16 13:41:05

I loathe bingo and if I am ever in a care home and someone wants me to play it I will not be responsible for my actions. Likewise if I am put in a chair in a room with a TV with Countdown or thinking about it any game show at all. I like chips though but why do all care homes seem to have fish and chips for lunch on Fridays (yes I have been in lots and lots of care homes).

Greyduster Thu 16-Jun-16 11:11:57

I'd sooner have forty bags of chips and no bingo! (I know - not those kind of chips, Grey! - but still!)

Nonnie1 Thu 16-Jun-16 11:10:15

Congratulations !!!! You have won a game of Bingo.

You have a week to collect it

If you don't collect it, we will deliver it to your

HOUSE !

sorry

Alea Thu 16-Jun-16 11:04:27

Second prize 40 games of bingo but no chips?

annsixty Thu 16-Jun-16 09:24:54

How does one play Bingo? Do tell!
One may find it rather amusing!!

Teetime Thu 16-Jun-16 09:20:10

Sort of - made me laugh when I read it though.

Greyduster Thu 16-Jun-16 09:10:36

This is a wind-up..... Isn't it? hmm

BBbevan Thu 16-Jun-16 08:56:03

Wouldn't

BBbevan Thu 16-Jun-16 08:55:32

When I retired I vowed never to play Bingo or Bowls. 7 years on and I have stuck to that. So no thank you, but I would' mind the chips grin

rosesarered Thu 16-Jun-16 08:53:48

Now, if you were talking about fish and chips.......grin

Teetime Thu 16-Jun-16 08:50:45

Wowcher this morning is offering 20 games of bingo and chips for 2 people for £5 bargain - anyone game -- I'll pay!!! smile