Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, that was very scary.

(17 Posts)
grannyqueenie Thu 16-Jun-16 23:35:08

No wonder you felt shaky afterwards, Katek it's really scary when you realise it's serious and the folk next to you don't. It happened to me in a restaurant with my husband and some friends. They were all concerned but had no idea how to help until my husband realised I was waving my arms about to show him what to do. He did a version of the Heimlich thing and I was promptly sick into my dinner plate...all very embarrassing! Fortunately they were very good friends!!! twiceasnice oh dear! blush

TwiceAsNice Thu 16-Jun-16 22:54:53

Of chocolate not if stupid corrective spelling!

TwiceAsNice Thu 16-Jun-16 22:53:51

You have my sympathy it is very scary I did it on a stringy bit from a mange tout the worst bit was it happened at DD1 wedding reception. Apart from the panic of it I felt so conspicuous in a huge room full of people. Have the biggest bar if chocolate you can find any least chocolate will melt! Also had a big fish bone stuck in my throat that was horrible too

Katek Thu 16-Jun-16 22:42:13

Don't suppose all my asthma medication helps-they're designed to open my airways which probably makes it easier for food to slide down.

Lona Thu 16-Jun-16 22:25:48

It happens more easily as we get older because I believe, the mechanism which closes the airway doesn't work as well as it did when we were younger.

Katek Thu 16-Jun-16 22:22:58

It is really frightening, I so agree. I seem to be more prone to this in last couple of years-managed to do it at ds/dil's dinner table a few months ago. Seeded bread was the culprit that time, fortunately Ds has done his first aid for school and managed to help. I said to DH a few minutes ago that perhaps he should learn how to help if it happens again. He doesn't/didn't seem to realise how bad things can get. Apparently choking is very high on list of causes of accidental death.

wot Thu 16-Jun-16 22:04:26

I was telling my partner only tonight that in America, there's posters up in bars, restaurants etc about what to do if someone is choking. I think they ought to do the same here. It's truly terrifying when you choke. I think the throat can close up as a reflex and you could die.

harrigran Thu 16-Jun-16 21:59:57

Two years ago I had a choking fit, I was eating toast and it got got caught in my airway, DH stayed at the table and I went to the kitchen, I was on the point of passing out when I managed to cough it out. The tears in my throat took about three weeks to heal and I couldn't swallow. I know how painful it is.

Funnygran Thu 16-Jun-16 20:06:06

Now if it had been the other way round katek and your DH had choked........

Katek Thu 16-Jun-16 19:59:11

Oh I am....believe me!

Jalima Thu 16-Jun-16 19:39:09

Hope you're OK now Katek
You will have to sit all evening giving loud, nasty coughing sounds and burps all through the football (if that is what he's watching).

If there is anything at all left there that should bring it up.

Katek Thu 16-Jun-16 18:38:12

You're meant to be in bold Alea...sorry. It's the shaky hands.,

Katek Thu 16-Jun-16 18:37:09

I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies "Alea"-what would have happened if it had been something he was really interested in?!grin I had tears running down my face, it wouldn't have been so bad but it was a really tasty stir fry.

I have the brewnow and am coughing pathetically every now and then. I think chocolate could help.......

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Jun-16 18:23:35

That is so horrible, when your throat closes up and you can't get any air in. Yes, I'll bet you are shaky. brew

Alea Thu 16-Jun-16 18:22:48

Come on Katek he only kept ONE eye on the TV.
Think yourself lucky! grin

whitewave Thu 16-Jun-16 18:20:40

That must have been scary but it did give me some welcome reliefgrin

Katek Thu 16-Jun-16 18:18:53

I managed to choke on a noodle from my stir fry 15 minutes ago - proper choking with the 'whoop' sound. I was beginning to think I needed someone to carry out the Heimlich manoeuvre. DH patted me ineffectually on the shoulder with one eye on tv and said 'you'll be fine.' I wasn't fine at that point! I'm still quite shaken-legs all wobbly.