Gransnet forums

Chat

Oh! Lordy!

(62 Posts)
PRINTMISS Sat 02-Jul-16 16:38:58

We have another full week of Sport on t.v. I know a lot of you enjoy your football/tennis/golf - BUT as far as I am concerned it now beyond a joke. I am so pleased we do not pay a t.v. licence.

breeze Sun 03-Jul-16 09:02:34

It was a joke! That's what I meant by 'just joshing' apologies, should've made myself clearer! It's just my sense of humour I'm afraid.

Lillie Sun 03-Jul-16 09:02:47

Tour de France for me too, and to a certain degree Formula 1 which we watch on Sky anyway. We save up recorded episodes of programmes to watch in one go, (skipping the adverts if necessary), when the football is on constantly.

sallyswin Sun 03-Jul-16 10:39:32

It's making me go to my sewing corner of the conservatory and actually finish half done projects with my little tv on non-sporty programmes or radio. DH insists he can hear the tv without his hearing aids, but the volume hurts my ears, especially car racing! Thank goodness the conservatory door has double glazing so is relatively soundproof.

Maggie725 Sun 03-Jul-16 10:50:26

I agree that you don't know for sure when other programmes will be on, due to FOOTBALL and a lot of the tennis.
Last night's edition of Casualty will be shown tonight.
Pointless will be on again today,(I think)the first time for what seems like ages.
Even dramas such as 'Endeavour' and 'Midsomer Murders' are repeats.
If you can get 'Challenge' station on your TV there are lots of quiz programmes on there.
No football Monday and Tuesday.
I will be glad when it ends, but the new Football season starts in August, I think.

hulahoop Sun 03-Jul-16 11:10:44

We have said for a while there should be a channel for sport not on two main channels
Cancelling regular programs is unfair to people who aren't interested think most of people with a say on how programs go out must like it and people that love main sports are shocked when we say we aren't interested (how dare we) ?

inishowen Sun 03-Jul-16 11:25:46

Hubby is not really into football but is watching all the matches at the moment. Thank goodness he's not also watching the tennis. I have give up. I think the powers that be have a few treats coming up when all this sport is over.

Charleygirl Sun 03-Jul-16 11:29:39

I have to admit that I am in heaven at present with Wimbledon and also football on. I do think it unfair that people who are not interested in sport are left with zilch to watch and if anything other than sport is televised, it is a repeat.

I do not like golf, rugby or motor racing but when working I have been known to take a couple of weeks annual leave to watch athletics when the Olympics is on.

It is difficult to work out what is on TV anyway because of the different permutations.

Linsco56 Sun 03-Jul-16 11:38:40

I quite enjoy the tennis but football bores me rigid! Consoling myself that Poldark season 2 will be screened in the autumn.

durhamjen Sun 03-Jul-16 11:48:32

Was the football on both ITV and BBC?
I thought there were alternatives because they had not decided whether they were on ITV or BBC.

nipsmum Sun 03-Jul-16 11:56:06

Unfortunately Sky sports don't have The European football championships or Wimbledon so BBC and ITV show them. If your TV has freeview then there are lots more channel's you can watch. I am thoroughly enjoying all the Sport. I get a lot of knitting done and look forward to the Open Golf and then the Olympics. Only Tennis and golf are Once each year, European and world football and Olympics every 4 years. Maybe some Gransnetters need to get some hobbies ..

Noreen3 Sun 03-Jul-16 12:30:35

I'll be glad when the football is over,we don't all like sport and want to see our usual programmes.

Badenkate Sun 03-Jul-16 12:34:33

I'm sorry but that comment has really annoyed me nipsmum. I rarely watch TV before 7pm and then I like to watch something interesting and entertaining. At the moment it's either football, tennis or motor racing until at least 8 and possibly later. Tennis is on both main BBC channels and everything else is repeated because the TV companies don't want to show anything new. I'm not interested in 'reality' programmes and I think I've seen every Midsomer Murder ever made. What hobby would you recommend for 9pm?

Shelagh6 Sun 03-Jul-16 12:42:02

Not for a while there is no hope but after the football, tv may be better!

durhamjen Sun 03-Jul-16 12:50:36

Tonight there is The Musketeers on BBC1, China's Forgotten Emperor on Channel4, Soldier Poets of the Somme on BBC4, which admittedly is a repeat, but well worth watching.
No problem tonight to find something instead of the football.
However, I do really want to see Iceland beat France.

Sheilasue Sun 03-Jul-16 13:43:36

i'm reading and watching old repeats.

Emiliarose2123786536910 Sun 03-Jul-16 14:59:18

I wonder what the men would think if only programs for lady's were on for a month

lizzypopbottle Sun 03-Jul-16 15:04:17

They'd better not reschedule the Great British Sewing Bee! It's the only thing I watch with both eyes and brain engaged!

Blinko Sun 03-Jul-16 15:32:41

Why oh why can they not allocate one of the many channels to sport then leave the rest alone? So far we've had footie, tennis, now there's cycling and the Olympics to 'look forward' to. FHS! Enough, already.

marionk Sun 03-Jul-16 16:02:07

Plenty of other stuff to watch on free view if you want. I used to love the test matches when they were fully televised, the highlights are just not the same

NannaJay Sun 03-Jul-16 17:56:18

I don't like sport either and I am thoroughly unimpressed with bbc and itv over the endless wretched football and the moving around of all other shows that make way for it. Not all of us have iPlayer or catch up tv. I have very basic Freeview myself grrr

chrissie13 Sun 03-Jul-16 18:52:24

I agree there's too much sport on at the moment, but that's only because I would love to be able to watch it all and I can't because it's on at the same time!
Was the football really on both channels? I would be very surprised if it was because it should only be the final on both, and all the other matches split between the two channels.
As others have said there are loads of channels on freeview showing all sorts of programmes other than sport.

numberplease Sun 03-Jul-16 19:24:03

No good, Chrissie if your OH is watching the sports programmes.

Badenkate Sun 03-Jul-16 19:25:18

But most of the other channels are showing c**p. We have freesat and have sat in the evening , looking through the Radio Times and there is nothing on that is not reality, repeats of stuff we've seen, multiple showings of people looking for houses, pathetic American comedies etc. I do like watching sport, but not evening after evening. If I did, we'd have Sky Sports. BBC could use the red button more to either move some of the sport off the main channels or to provide an alternative.

Linsco56 Sun 03-Jul-16 19:38:58

I can't take any more football...I'm off to tackle a mountain of ironing, unless any of you girls want to go to the pub? wine

Lilyflower Sun 03-Jul-16 20:08:08

It is the Summer and, therefore, obeys the law that there is no good T.V. until the Autumn. We watch recorded old stuff like Scandi Noirs (Watching 'The Disappearance, French, not Scandi but good) and DVDs of things like 'Game of Thrones' which our kids bought us for Christmas. Thery are, however, disgusted that we are still nly on Series Three and cannot discuss recent spoilers.

'New Blood' is on Thursdays. That's Anthony Horowitz and quite good in a really bad way.