Gransnet forums

Chat

POST BREXIT

(58 Posts)
Jackthelad Wed 06-Jul-16 10:02:07

What goes on in Britain today seems to be that a majority are working on a self for filling prophesy of doom and gloom as a result of voting out of the EU. When what is required is for every man,, woman, and child, to imitate the action of the tiger; Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd purpose. Do not expect a soft landing! For now is the time of hard resolution.
We need to start laying track on High speed 2 and Cross Rail 2. Put down a new runway at Heathrow or Gatwick, NOW.
All I hear is we need to have a debate on this and that. No we don’t! Make MADE IN BRITAIN a reality. Let us become a “Can Do” nation again and stop sitting around waiting for some else to take the initiative and so getting left behind.

whitewave Wed 06-Jul-16 10:02:58

grin

GillT57 Wed 06-Jul-16 10:43:58

Oh for heavens sake. We dont need and cant afford the fantasy projects of HS2 or Gatwick/Heathrow expansion. And no, I dont feel like stiffening my sinews and getting on with it, I am still, after almost two weeks, angry and upset at the result and the ensuing crisis facing us. So, you stiffen all you like, but meanwhile I will try to hold my small business together and keep everyone employed if you dont mind.

breeze Wed 06-Jul-16 10:48:15

Just tried to 'stiffen my sinew' but nothing happened. Agree with you, sick of the debates. Unless what's happened, doesn't happen, then wait and see mate.

suzied Wed 06-Jul-16 12:18:45

48% aren't going to be stiffening sinews and summoning up blood, whatever that means. We won't be able to afford HS2 or airport expansion, but maybe that can come out of the £350m per week along with everything else.

GillT57 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:44:39

Yup suzied. That £350m per week is going to have to stretch a long way. Most of it will likely be spent on administration and legal costs untangling us from the EU. I cant believe that Andrea Leadstrom was still banging on about that figure as recently as last week on Women's Hour, even after it had been discredited and proved to be a lie misleading.

Gononsuch Wed 06-Jul-16 12:46:12

Are we still getting Trident, it gives me comfort to know that if I get "nuked" then every one else is.

Anya Wed 06-Jul-16 12:49:41

What a wonderful sentiment Gonobnsuch - I'm sure Trump shares your enthusiasm for mass extermination so you might be lucky and get your wish wink

Gononsuch Wed 06-Jul-16 12:52:13

Oh anal mass extermination includes you

obieone Wed 06-Jul-16 12:53:00

I can't believe how "soft" the country has become.
I may not agree with your specifcs in your post Jackthelad, but I so agree with the sentiment.

I did laught though at the irony of Lidl advertising buy British! But at least they have got off the blocks and done something.

Anya Wed 06-Jul-16 12:54:35

Very anal Gononsuch if I may agree with your last post grin

Gononsuch Wed 06-Jul-16 12:57:13

Oh Anya you spelt it right, you're learning smile

Anya Wed 06-Jul-16 13:01:20

Is it the school holidays already?

breeze Wed 06-Jul-16 13:36:10

Anya grin

Jane10 Wed 06-Jul-16 14:55:08

Yup. Plimsolls on everyone!

breeze Wed 06-Jul-16 17:11:48

Mini, where are you? grin Where are my girls??? Soft and hard landings! I'm off to cook now. Shall tune in tonight.

GillT57 Wed 06-Jul-16 18:19:03

Obieone Lidl and Aldi have always sold British produced food, it is clearly labelled and of excellent quality and I really dont understand your comment? Is it because a foreign supermarket is doing it?

durhamjen Wed 06-Jul-16 18:23:57

Probably they all ought to go home and take their foreign food with them, Gill.

obieone Wed 06-Jul-16 19:05:54

Ye GillT57, a foreign company advertising buy British. Not a British company advertising buy British.

Welshwife Wed 06-Jul-16 19:07:37

They also have Italian and Greek weeks - here in France they sell a lot if French produce - cereals and fish are quite different to that which they sell in UK

suzied Wed 06-Jul-16 19:08:16

Can't have any of those pesky foreigners coming over here, selling our food.

Deedaa Wed 06-Jul-16 20:47:35

Currently Aldi and Lidl are better situated than some of the big supermarkets because they already have very good British supply chains in place. Those (like Tesco) that source a lot of basic stuff from Europe may run into trouble.

Nandalot Wed 06-Jul-16 21:30:12

Yes, I speaking to a produce grower earlier this year. She spoke highly of Lidl as they had been given a guaranteed contract for the quantity and the price, unlike some of the other supermarkets who could and did turn round at the last minute and say we don't want the goods now. The one that had treated them the worst was M and S. I was shocked.

12Michael Thu 07-Jul-16 06:45:45

Reading reference to HS2 I live just off the proposed route, and to add my MP Andrea Leadsom who is standing for PM is opposed to it being built.
Think it will the UK with the exit , hard as to going it alone, but we have not got there yet the powers to be are still fighting amongst themselves , no wonder mainland Europe classes Brits as crazy English people.
Who do not know what they want.
Mick

rosesarered Thu 07-Jul-16 09:34:51

Bound to be a week or so of shock/gloom/ blame etc, but agree it cannot go on for too long.Things will become better when both political parties have a new leader, and we have started legally to leave the EU, until then it all seems a bit 'up in the air' never a good thing for a country or financial markets.Meanwhile......at least it's Summer.sunshine