Gransnet forums

Chat

A strange occurrence....

(68 Posts)
Greyduster Sat 16-Jul-16 17:09:19

We came back from a walk this afternoon, took our shoes off in the hall, and when I went to put mine away, I noticed a pair of scabby Nike trainers in the shoe rack that I didn't recognise. I immediately thought they must be my son in law's as they came last weekend, having been cycling and while he usually changes his shoes in the car, he may have changed them in the house and left them behind. But they aren't his, apparently (I sent him a photo) and they don't belong to DH, they are the wrong size for my son and the only other male who has been here recently was the man who came to measure up for blinds - and I know he put his shoes back on when he went. We are flummoxed! I don't know why we have never noticed them before. Anyone lost a pair of trainers?

rosesarered Sun 17-Jul-16 20:37:45

Ah! Perhaps that's it.

Jalima Sun 17-Jul-16 20:39:54

Lots of mysterious tales come out of Cornwall (

DanniRae Sun 17-Jul-16 21:13:55

A friend of mine found a photo on the floor in her bedroom. It was of people she had never seen before and no-one else in her family knew who the people were. She had had no recent visitors and to this day has never found out how it got there.

Also we had a strange smell in our house for ages and couldn't think what it was. It was driving me crazy not being able to find out where it came from. Eventually we discovered it was coming from a cannabis factory in the house door!!

Regalo Sun 17-Jul-16 21:34:37

I was once working alone in the primary school where I taught. It was the holidays and no one else was in. I glanced up to see a man in a grey suit going past my classroom in the corridor. Surprisingly I wasn't frightened but looked out and no one was there. When I mentioned it later to the caretaker and school secretary, my description matched the previous head teacher who had died in post. No one ever did lone working in the school again!

judypark Sun 17-Jul-16 22:34:33

Yes, if you wrap cling film around something and apply gentle heat it will cause it to contract so giving it a professional touch ?

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 17-Jul-16 23:08:54

Had to pop back on to this thread to find out how on earth the discussion had turned to heating up cling film! grin

Anybody else hoping like hell the trainers belong to the blind man? grin

PS I looked on Google, but can't find anything about a woman's dismembered body in the loft in Delabole. wink

Jalima Mon 18-Jul-16 00:38:28

Bez1989 mentioned the body in the attic in the 1950s and whitewave said ?Delabole? and I assumed that whitewave had heard the story before and was asking if it was in Delabole.

I think I added 2 + 2 and made 7 and thought it was Delabole
Please ignore, my mind was racing ahead and making connections that weren't there, never assume anything is a good motto.

Thank you for the tip about the clingfilm judypark

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 18-Jul-16 02:26:56

Jalima I knew what you meant and just thought I'd give Google a try. Maybe all will be revealed tomorrow. wink

Anya Mon 18-Jul-16 06:53:58

Next door are away and I have a spare key so I can look after their guinea pigs, open and close their curtains and water their plants.

Just come back from there now and thought I heard footsteps coming from their bedrooms. Yesterday I thought I heard a bumping noise too, from upstairs. Didn't like to go and look, just shor through to their back forever and out to the garden and exited via their back gate.

Should I go back with DH and a rounders bat?

J52 Mon 18-Jul-16 07:56:53

Anya yes! Years ago I was feeding friends cats and the burglars were getting in the back door as I was locking up the front! Long story, but they got away with nothing!

Anya Mon 18-Jul-16 09:59:07

Did go and check J52 and no one / nothing there hmm ..didn't like to look in their wardrobes though ....

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 18-Jul-16 10:36:14

I had a key for my Step-Mum's house when she was away. Got the fright of my life with my Step-Brother came down the stairs. He'd slept there instead of driving home because he'd been drinking. Idiot thought it was fun to give me a scare.

Anya Mon 18-Jul-16 10:40:43

shock

rosesarered Mon 18-Jul-16 10:42:38

Anya if the house is a semi or in a terrace, sound travels, and it may have come from the house next door?

Anya Mon 18-Jul-16 12:17:24

I'm happy to accept that as an explanation roses smile

Grandma2213 Tue 19-Jul-16 02:17:10

My DS is popping into a friend's house while he is on holiday to feed the cat and the rabbits. Last night he found the recliner chair fully reclined which it hadn't been the day before. He jokingly texted his friend to tell him he had a ghost. He replied, 'It's OK. It'll just be my mum.' It used to be her house and her ashes are in the attic.

I've tried to think of explanations but none are very convincing

absent Tue 19-Jul-16 04:17:54

Apparently, if you deliberately take a rounders bat, cricket bat or other "weapon" with you to investigate a possible break-in, you can be prosecuted by the police. If you use it, you will be prosecuted by the police. Watch out Anya. P.s. I don't think there is a possibility of prosecution if the weapon you take is your DH.