Gransnet forums

Chat

Really warming to Ruth Davidson

(48 Posts)
thatbags Sun 17-Jul-16 11:17:00

Not because of her politics (though they don't seem all that bad so far) but because of her personality smile

You have to scroll past the Jennifer Aniston stuff to "Arise, Lady Shovel-Face".

Birene Mon 18-Jul-16 20:08:25

We seem to be going off the subject with talk of Sharia law but it does give me the opportunity to say that I do not think that BritishMuslims should live here following the Sharia rule of law.It would be ridiculous to have different ethnic minorities/ religions all living under different laws. It would be total chaos! You have to have one method of law in a country that everyone is agreed on. We have our laws and whilst they are open to scutiny and sometimes change, nevertheless that is our British way and others who wish to come and live here, wherever they may be from originally,must accept them.
I too was very impressed with Ruth's delivery and manner but unfortunately didn't agree with a single thing she said!

FlorenceN Mon 18-Jul-16 17:52:28

Why don't you google her brenh34

Jayh Mon 18-Jul-16 17:10:01

I like Ruth too. If anyone can restore Tory fortunes in Scotland it is likely to be her. Like Westminster, Holyrood needs a strong opposition.

Spangles1963 Mon 18-Jul-16 15:20:14

brenh34 grin

brenh34 Mon 18-Jul-16 15:12:50

I don't even know who Ruth Davidson is - is she someone important?

Spangles1963 Mon 18-Jul-16 14:35:57

No I am not suggesting at all that she bans it and upsets people who WANT to be ruled by it. Obviously,the quotes I read that she had made had been distorted,or taken out of context. If British Muslims wish to live under Sharia law,that is their right and I have no problem with it. But please,Theresa May,don't expect non-muslims who don't wish to live under it to do so.

Iam64 Mon 18-Jul-16 14:31:59

Thanks for clarifying Theresa may's comments on Sharia law. I think it was the Archbishop of Canterbury and others who suggested sharia may be useful in eg property disputes. I agree that it undermines women and childre and appears to condone some levels of domestic abuse.

lizzypopbottle Mon 18-Jul-16 14:24:47

I had to look her up. I don't mind admitting I'm not much of a political animal. I did recognise her when I saw the picture on Google. I admire anyone, man or woman, who's prepared to stand up in public in these uncertain times.

Jalima Mon 18-Jul-16 14:08:20

I don't think that is what she said at all.

This is what she said:

“For too long politicians in this country refuse to look at the issue of Sharia law and just allow this to continue without any question.”
“I’ve been the politician who’s been willing to say no, I’m concerned that Sharia law is operating in a way that could discriminate against women and that could be counter to what is our single rule of law that we have in the UK.”
“So there is one rule of law in the UK – that’s why I’ve set up the review that I have, chaired by Professor Mona Siddiqui, and that will be looking at the operation of Sharia law and whether it is actually operating to discriminate against women and counter to our overall rule of law.”

Would you suggest that she goes in, bans them completely in her first few days as Prime Minister and risks upsetting very many people in this country?
What would the consequences of that be I wonder.

EastEndGranny Mon 18-Jul-16 14:01:20

Agree wholeheartedly!!

Spangles1963 Mon 18-Jul-16 14:00:59

And please believe me when I say that my comments above are NOTHING to do with being racist. It is purely out of concern for the way women would be treated under such law.

Spangles1963 Mon 18-Jul-16 13:52:50

I have reservations about Theresa May,mainly because of her comments about Sharia law. She said that Sharia law could be 'greatly beneficial' to British people. So a law system that is unfair to women in nearly every aspect regarding property,money,custody of children and divorce,and demotes women to second or even third class citizens is beneficial to us. I despair at times. Women have fought long and hard for the rights that men take for granted. Is it all going to be for nothing?!

Jane10 Mon 18-Jul-16 11:41:55

I'm with Daphne on this one. Ruth's no lady but that's fine by me. Its good that she can slug it out with the journalists. She made a good job of sorting Boris out on that TV debate! Go girl!

rosesarered Mon 18-Jul-16 10:38:34

She may have lots if common sense, but needs judgement on when to rein it in in her speeches/tweets etc.

rosesarered Mon 18-Jul-16 10:37:21

A ladette then?

DaphneBroon Mon 18-Jul-16 10:31:21

Beg/agree to differ!! smile

GrAnne2 Mon 18-Jul-16 10:26:21

Ruth Davidson tries too hard to be 'one of the boys' (viz her ill-judged & uncouth comment comparing the Tory & Labour leadership contests to sex). I'm affiliated to neither of those political parties but am Scottish & therefore have been exposed to Ruth Davidson's media appearances for years: she's more akin to a (less intelligent) Boris Johnson ...

granjura Mon 18-Jul-16 08:21:02

so why allude to them?

Iam64 Mon 18-Jul-16 08:17:52

Oh dear - I won't list the rumours I've heard about him…..

Jalima Mon 18-Jul-16 00:29:05

Iam64 this was quoted in the article which the OP linked to:

On Labour feuding, she cackled: “Labour is still fumbling with its flies while the Tories are enjoying their post-coital cigarette, after withdrawing our massive Johnson. Sorry, that’s not even my speech; that’s just a text from Stephen Crabb.”

which, if it was a text from Stephen Crabb, is on the same theme as his previous texts - sex hmm as in the other link provided by Wilma

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 17-Jul-16 22:55:33

Iam have a read here

I missed the original articles too and was shocked when I read about him on here, especially as it all happened very recently.

(Looks like we're in agreement again BTW. grin)

Tegan Sun 17-Jul-16 22:46:32

Part of what she said at the great debate, in case anyone missed it..'She said: "I think Boris maybe misjudged this panel by talking about the Balkans because what he probably doesn't know is that I was sent to the Balkans at the end of the Kosovo war as a reporter and I have never been more proud of being British in my life than watching British troops with a union jack on their arms, believing in something, pulling their weight, and helping in the European Union.

"That's what caused me to join up and serve. I think I am the only one on this panel that has ever worn the Queen's uniform."

She said that while she had deep respect for military figures like Field Marshal Lord Guthrie, the former Chief of the Defence Staff, who backs Brexit, current military chiefs are united in opposing it.

She said: "While I have the greatest of respect for retired general Lord Guthrie, I have the greatest of respect for him, and with the greatest of respect for him I would gently remind the other side of this debate that as a retired general he is not currently in charge of the safety and security of our nation.

"And all of those people who are currently charged, every single one of them and every single one of our major allies, says we are safer within the European Union."

Her comments came after Mr Johnson warned the EU has its sights on a bigger defence role and heading towards a "United States of Europe".

He said: "I believe that the EU is going in totally the wrong direction and I think it is a great mistake for it to try to take on this defence component and for it to try to evolve into a United States of Europe in the way that it is."

He said it was "a disaster" when the EU was given the task of "trying to sort out the tragedy in the Balkans", and many people died.

He added: "It was only solved when the Americans came. I was there, I remember reporting it and saw what happened with the Dayton Accords and Nato finally asserted primacy. That was the right thing."

The tense exchange came after it was reported that Ms Davidson will declare independence from her UK party if Mr Johnson becomes leader.

There is no love lost between the pair and Ms Davidson has repeatedly criticised Eton-educated Mr Johnson, who she has depicted as out of touch'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3653478/Ruth-Davidson-hits-Boris-Johnson-Balkans-claims.html#ixzz4EhkdS1FH
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Iam64 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:39:03

I'm another fan and wish Ruth D was a Labour politician so she could stand in the leadership campaign. She isn't and can't and won't so there we are .
Jail a, what do you mean about Stephen Crabb? I've heard rumours but what did you mean?

granjura Sun 17-Jul-16 21:11:43

Territorial Army I suppose.

Yes, she is really straightforward and has an honesty and fabulous sense of humour - much needed in today's politics.

thatbags Sun 17-Jul-16 21:00:45

ex-TA?