Gransnet forums

Chat

Really warming to Ruth Davidson

(47 Posts)
thatbags Sun 17-Jul-16 11:17:00

Not because of her politics (though they don't seem all that bad so far) but because of her personality smile

You have to scroll past the Jennifer Aniston stuff to "Arise, Lady Shovel-Face".

granjura Sun 17-Jul-16 11:37:02

I admire her too- she would have been much better than Theresa May

ffinnochio Sun 17-Jul-16 11:39:28

Agreed!

Gagagran Sun 17-Jul-16 12:19:10

Well I don't agree at all. I think Theresa May is exactly what the UK needs right now to calm everything down and show what an efficient, competent focused PM can do.

I like Ruth Davidson but she would not be right for the present time.

Tegan Sun 17-Jul-16 12:52:30

Pity that everyone was so busy cheering Boris Johnson [take back control]during the 'great debate' that no one seemed to listen to the sensible things that Ruth[aka Project fear] was saying. Strange that afterward the referendum he was being booed quite a lot and I don't seem to have heard of Ruth being booed [but I could be wrong] confused.

soop Sun 17-Jul-16 12:53:14

Sneaks in...just to say...I agree with Gaga...dashes off and hides behind the kitchen door. wink

Tegan Sun 17-Jul-16 13:01:39

Oh, I do agree with that. But I do think that Ruth Davidson is a force of nature and I am in awe of her.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 17-Jul-16 13:19:37

I was very impressed with Ruth Davidson on one of the TV referendum debates and wish she was a candidate for Labour Leader. I too am in awe of her.

thatbags Sun 17-Jul-16 13:24:38

I also agree with gaga about Theresa May's appropriateness as PM right now. I wasn't aware that anyone on this thread, or even in the article I linked to, had suggested otherwise. Bit of a red herring, that, methinks.

And Ruth Davidson is still great.

So is TM in her own way.

thatbags Sun 17-Jul-16 13:26:24

You have to read more than a title to know what an article is about hmm

thatbags Sun 17-Jul-16 13:27:32

Arise, Lady Shovel-Face is about liking Ruth Davidson. Nothing more. Nothing less.

How did Theresa May crop up?

Jane10 Sun 17-Jul-16 15:11:39

Ruth's certainly a breath of fresh air. Quite a personality as well as a well informed politician. We could do with more cheerful competent people like her in parliament. Sorry we can't spare her for Westminster just now but I bet she'll end up there!

soop Sun 17-Jul-16 15:25:45

granjura said...^she would have been much better than Theresa May^. Gaga disagreed. soop also disagreed. Note to self - keep well out of politics and religion. grin

soop Sun 17-Jul-16 15:27:56

Before I shut my mouth leave...I also like Ruth Davidson. She's straight forward.

ffinnochio Sun 17-Jul-16 15:46:17

Must be specific in my agreeing. Agreed with OP.
I like R Davidson because of her clarity and straightforwardness. Gutsy.

thatbags Sun 17-Jul-16 16:48:53

My apologies, soop. I'd forgotten about jura's comment blush. Must pay more careful attention.

There wasn't meant to be any politics or religion on this thread but, hey, since when could one ever control what happens on gransnet?

soop Sun 17-Jul-16 16:57:34

bags smile

granjura Sun 17-Jul-16 20:19:21

no need to hide at all soop- everyone is entitled to an opinion indeed. But truly if a thread is about a famous politician, is it fair to expect their politics to not be mentionned?? Her personality doesn't ' stand alone' and quite clearly has an influence on her 'politics'.

Can never understand why politics is a taboo, or something to be kept away from. Politics is about fairness, education, health service, the environment, transport and so so much more. It is what makes our world tick.

DaphneBroon Sun 17-Jul-16 20:29:56

I thought Ruth Davidson spoke a LOT of commonsense in the run up,to the referendum especially in the debate in the final week. "Project Fear" she certainly was not!
She brings a refreshing down to earth humour to politics providing an acceptable face of Conservatism! and I remember posting a link to an excellent article from The Guardian at the time of the London Mayoral Election saying how the Tories needed fewer Zac Goldsmiths and more Ruth Davidsons ! I may of course be biased in her favour as she originates from my wee home town. She is I believe ex-TA and has seen real life unlike so many in the Westminster/Holyrood "bubble"

FlorenceN Sun 17-Jul-16 20:41:51

I love Ruth!

Jalima Sun 17-Jul-16 20:45:31

I agree with Gagagran

And I do like Ruth Davidson as well; she seems very sensible and matter-of-fact.
She is only 37 (gosh, so young, so much sense!) so has time yet to become PM. If they stay.

Jalima Sun 17-Jul-16 20:48:29

ps is it all about sex with Stephen Crabb?
Although RD did quote him and it was quite funny

thatbags Sun 17-Jul-16 21:00:45

ex-TA?

granjura Sun 17-Jul-16 21:11:43

Territorial Army I suppose.

Yes, she is really straightforward and has an honesty and fabulous sense of humour - much needed in today's politics.

Iam64 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:39:03

I'm another fan and wish Ruth D was a Labour politician so she could stand in the leadership campaign. She isn't and can't and won't so there we are .
Jail a, what do you mean about Stephen Crabb? I've heard rumours but what did you mean?