Gransnet forums

Chat

Lovely Sunshine

(50 Posts)
Kateykrunch Mon 18-Jul-16 17:01:04

So, this is me, the one who wants to go live in Spain!, I'm sat in the lounge in the cool, my sun lounger is empty on the patio as it was even too warm to sit outside in the shade!!

Marmight Tue 19-Jul-16 21:06:08

32 here in North Wiltshire where I am staying with DD1 and family. I had to make a cake for GS's 5th birthday today. - crazy or what. Anyway, it's done and so am I. We had supper in the garden and I am still sitting here with a gentle breeze cooling my extremities wink

Liaise Tue 19-Jul-16 20:42:53

It is 33c here in Dorset. The garden is wilting in the heat and I have been watering for two hours. I shouldn't complain having moaned for weeks about the bad weather. We grow enough runner beans to see us through until next summer. The freezer is full of strawberries for jam and crumbles. If anyone has a recipe for strawberry purée I would be pleased to have it. Mine was a bit sharp, probably needed sugar but that's a sin these days.

Greyduster Tue 19-Jul-16 20:21:45

Unbearably hot today - even GS wasn't that keen to go out in it. An hour and a half at the swimming pool was a welcome retreat from it, but I just felt hot and cross all day, and to top it all off, I've lost a pair of glasses. We are currently in the conservatory with the doors and windows open, but it feels like a sauna. Whose got the birch twigs? Our lovely NDN was telling us today this weather is a nightmare for him. He is an air conditioning engineer and today his calls included Cambridge, Norwich, Lincoln and Leeds!

Nelliemoser Tue 19-Jul-16 19:49:20

Today was about 32C but because it was not so humid as it was on Monday It was bearable.

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Jul-16 19:48:59

Same here, nina, though not as hot where we are. Even reading out in the garden was too much for me, so I've been lying on the sofa, reading my GN Book Club book and dozing and snacking and browsing the internet. It's been far too hot to do any housework, of course wink

Luckygirl Tue 19-Jul-16 19:13:52

It is 36 degrees in the shade on our decking here!

ninathenana Tue 19-Jul-16 18:32:55

We are on the coast road so right next to the sea in N Kent and what little breeze there's been. It was 42c on our south facing patio an hour ago.
I have done the square root of nothing today smile

watermeadow Tue 19-Jul-16 18:23:01

I can't stand hot weather and nor can my dog. We've wasted two whole days indoors with the fan on, only venturing out to water the garden.
I did everything necessary very early while it was cooler, made rhubarb and ginger jam, a batch of Florentines and altered curtains for my daughter. Then I was bored.
It's good to have some summer at last but two days is enough for me.

cornergran Tue 19-Jul-16 17:12:36

Lovely beach day. Cool breeze, protected with loads of sunscreen, good book, comfy chair, big hat and lots of cold water. I would really like more than one in a year, please smile.

TriciaF Tue 19-Jul-16 16:57:42

The same here Mamie - in the Gers.
There's supposed to be a thunderstorm tomorrow. Can't wait.

Mamie Tue 19-Jul-16 16:16:27

It is 37° in the shade here in Normandy. All shutters and windows tightly shut, fan on. I put the washing out at 5.30 am and it was dry by 10.
We went up to the beach yesterday which was wonderful, but too hot today
Last night it was 27 in the bedroom, will be even hotter tonight.

granjura Tue 19-Jul-16 16:03:25

We've got a choice of 6 local lakes, from a small peat lake to large Neuchâtel lake (and then St Point in France, Lake de Joux, Lake Morat and Lake Bienne) - so yes, swimming in lakes is the best and will do my knee tons of good I'm sure. The sun has turned to West and North side of house, so time to log off and get watering, pruning, etc. Then on to the balcony at back of house until sun goes down- perhaps wathching the deer, chamois and hares. There is a badger sett in the woods are the back, and they do visit the garden we know- but never seen one yet. The other morning there was a fawn drinking in the horses' water trough- how cute.

Bellanonna Tue 19-Jul-16 15:28:22

That sounds very refreshing gj

granjura Tue 19-Jul-16 15:17:42

Too hot to be outside here in the Jura mountains- and this old house, with 4 ft thick limestone walls is always cool inside- (and warm in our very cold winters)- tried to work in garden but had to give up. Will be out there from 5ish onwards when the sun has gone from front of house and enjoy the evening out there. Must go out and swim in one of the lakes tomorrow.

rosesarered Tue 19-Jul-16 12:10:43

I agree, in fact would slightly run down areas in the Med look as good without the sun and the geraniums?

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Jul-16 09:09:31

How true, Indinana, about everywhere looking nicer. Even our rather boring local park looked glorious yesterday. And having been to Lake Como in May, where it rained heavily most of the week, I can say that even beautiful Bellagio is depressing when it's dull and grey and you're huddled under a brolly. grin

Indinana Tue 19-Jul-16 08:52:12

The thing about this sort of weather is that everywhere looks so much nicer than it does on a dull day. When we were out yesterday we drove through some of the poorer areas of our city, areas where the buildings are old and uncared for, where many of the people look poorly dressed and world-weary. The warmth and sunshine seems to lift everything - colours glow, windows sparkle, people have a spring in their step and a smile on their face.
If only we could control the weather maybe the world would be a happier place! (that was tongue-in-cheek, by the way, before anyone points out the dangers for the planet of man being in charge of the weather wink)

annsixty Tue 19-Jul-16 08:38:21

A neighbour took me to Simply Food yesterday , it only a few minutes away, and I stocked up with cold meats , salads and picnic type food as it's far to hot to cook. Have I jinxed it? I really hope not.

obieone Tue 19-Jul-16 08:07:35

My kitchen is at the back of the house and normally a bit on the cold side. Today, I have shut the kitchen curtain in the vain hope of keeping some of the heat out, as I am already too hot.

Nelliemoser Tue 19-Jul-16 07:59:00

Well it was nice and warm but very humid here in Cheshire. I find the humidity really quite exhausting.

rosesarered Mon 18-Jul-16 22:23:05

Very hot here too, but what I like about being at home in Summer is that I can potter in the garden, see how the tomatoes and beans and sunflowers are coming on, sit in the shade with a book, and go in and out of the house for coolness and drinks.Nice to feel some warmth, Summer at last.I made a lasagne for dinner, (why?) but we did have a cool green salad with it.

Lillie Mon 18-Jul-16 21:50:53

We're loving the sunshine - on holiday in Cornwall away from the dry heat of London. So pleased we booked for a fortnight because last week here was a bit rainy and cold. I'd have felt cheated if we hadn't had this hot spell.

Indinana Mon 18-Jul-16 21:25:47

We took a slow drive around the Cornish coast this afternoon - Downderry, Seaton and then onto Hannafore, West Looe. Drove to the end of the road where it peters out into a footpath and stopped the car. Sat on a bench opposite St George's Island with a coffee and cake, and our books. It was heaven - hot but so refreshing to be away from the busy car-filled roads for a brief while. Walked down to the beach and I had a paddle. Now that was heaven!
We really could do with more than just 2 or 3 days a year like this. I wouldn't want it to be this hot for months on end, but a week or two, then a break of a few days, then another couple of weeks - and so on in that pattern from May to September! Well I can dream winksunshine

Jane10 Mon 18-Jul-16 21:12:34

Our south facing picture windows mean the flat is boiling! The poor old cat (long haired) has taken himself off to lie in the bath. Its empty btw but its a metal one so very cool. Might join him. Can't be doing with this heat.

whitewave Mon 18-Jul-16 21:05:43

Just had a cool shower and now in bed with just a sheet and good book. All Windows open not a breath of wind. This is The life!