Gransnet forums

Chat

Recycling

(42 Posts)
sunseeker Wed 27-Jul-16 12:22:29

I recently requested new recycle bins from my council as my old ones were broken, the new bins were promptly delivered. Today I put out the broken bins for collection with the rest of the recycling but they weren't taken. Apparently the council do not recycle these and I have been told to put them out with my general refuse!! I don't understand the logic!confused

TriciaF Sun 31-Jul-16 21:10:49

We can take used chip pan oil to our waste disposal place.
The person in charge there is a very charming, friendly and ladylike woman, so I asked her what they do with it - she said they make it into some kind of fuel.

BBbevan Sun 31-Jul-16 18:22:23

Good. I'm glad my rubbish gets digested once more.

durhamjen Sun 31-Jul-16 17:29:04

www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-green-energy/green-gas/how-green-gas-works

Anaerobic digestion.

durhamjen Sun 31-Jul-16 17:24:20

www.letsrecycle.com/news/latest-news/storm-in-a-coffee-cup/

This is an interesting view of HughFear's programme.
Apparentl if any company overpackages like Amazon, they can be reported to Trading Standards.

Maggiemaybe Sun 31-Jul-16 17:03:19

According to our local authority:

Once we have collected your food waste, it is taken to a special processing plant where it is treated in an enclosed vessel. As the food breaks down, it produces green energy using a process called Anaerobic Digestion. This generates renewable energy and a nutrient-rich fertiliser that can be used to grow more food.

I'm not a lot wiser, but it sounds impressive!

BBbevan Sun 31-Jul-16 16:11:53

What do they do with the kitchen waste?
I am old enough to remember my Mother keeping ours for the Pig man. But that doesn't happen now.
Anyone enlighten me?

Maggiemaybe Sun 31-Jul-16 15:14:34

To be honest, I'm not keen on the food waste bin. It sits on the cellar steps and DH (our recycling supremo) makes sure everything cooked, processed or otherwise not fit for the compost heap is scraped into it. We don't waste much, but sometimes, especially after high days and holidays, it can be something that's been lurking in the fridge so long it's a health hazard - well out of date pate, all that surplus cream, etc - and I'd really rather it just went straight in the bin with its lid firmly on!

Still, it goes to produce "green energy and nutrient-rich fertiliser", which I'm sure is very laudable.

TriciaF Sun 31-Jul-16 14:35:47

All our veg. remains go in the compost, or to the hens. The hens also get a lot of the food remains. I don't think that's allowed in the UK (Defra ban.)

Juggernaut Sun 31-Jul-16 14:21:23

We have three wheelie bins, green for non-recyclable, grey for recyclable and brown for garden rubbish, but that's charged at £30-00 per year.
Non recyclable and recyclable are collected fortnightly, alternate weeks, whilst the garden rubbish is collected fortnightly, but only from April to November!
There's no arrangement for recycling kitchen scraps, and if the collection team open the garden bin and find veg leaves inside they refuse to take it because the food 'may have been in your kitchen, and therefore contaminated'.
We have a 'state of the art' recycling facility, where waste is automatically sorted, so not many people are employed there, just a few to keep an eye on the machines in case they get confused!
I loathe the non recyclable bin only being emptied fortnightly, especially during hot weather, so spend a fortune on disinfectant and bin powder!

Elrel Sun 31-Jul-16 12:42:03

We have a £35 pa charge for garden waste collection. There is no recycling of food waste which seems a sad omission.
UK should standardise refuse and recycling collection with a national policy. Why not?

Maggiemaybe Sun 31-Jul-16 12:31:33

My DDs just have one recycling bin, sunseeker, but it does mean someone having to sort it all out at the other end and apparently it isn't as efficient. Or so we're told smile - we live in the adjacent authority to our DDs and have separate boxes/bags for glass, thicker cardboard and small electrical items / food waste / paper, thin card and cartons / plastics / cans / textiles, and an optional paid bin for garden waste. So 6 or 7, collected weekly, plus the general waste wheelie bin, fortnightly. I've had a moan many times about them all blocking the pavements on collection day, but really I'm pleased that so much is recycled, and for free.

The kerbside freecycle sounds great - we had a similar scheme in Germany when we lived there years ago, but apparently it is no more. It was really useful for us at the time, furnishing our little house!

sunseeker Sun 31-Jul-16 10:24:48

My brother lives in Australia and has just 2 bins, one for general rubbish and one for recycling. While I was visiting I had some rubbish which could be recycled and he was puzzled when I asked where the rest of the recycling bins were! They also have a system whereby every now and then people can put large items at the curb (including furniture etc), anyone can come and take what they want and whatever is left is picked up by the local authority and disposed of.

NfkDumpling Sun 31-Jul-16 09:58:50

We had a lovely holiday last year in California involving a week on a boat. (California is very hot on recycling and saving energy). On our return we asked about recycling the accumulated rubbish and were told not to worry, just bung it all in the one bin - the happy little Mexicans sort it all! blush. How will they manage if Mr Trump gets his way!?!

Diddy1 Sat 30-Jul-16 16:28:11

We live in Sweden, and here the rubbish is collected, but re cycling we have to drive quite a way to the recycling place, they are placed in a lot of places but then it defeats the purpose as for the environement, everyone is driving cars to these place, also the bins are weighed every time, so we are charged by weight, we are encouraged to compost our other things, no green bins here.
Now in Cumbria, where we have a second home, it is fabulous there is a grey bin, a green bin, blue boxes for papers cardboard etc, and NOW we have blue bags for re cycling, thats fine, but when they are emptied and left out on the roadside, and its windy, then the fun begins, there are blue bags blowing all over the place, not a smart idea, they could put these bags in the blue boxes at the same time they empty them, BUT there are two different lorries coming to do these jobs, you cant win, but at least we dont have to pay by weight!

Tudorrose Sat 30-Jul-16 12:40:57

We have 3 lidded wheelie bins, black emptied every week for rubbish, blue for re-cyclable & green for garden waste emptied every 2 weeks. We have 2 compost bins for plant & kitchen stuff(peelings, teabags etc) I take egg boxes & glass jars to WI market. Think we do our bit

Outofstepwithhumanity Sat 30-Jul-16 11:13:40

I am a recycling fanatic, which makes me wonder why my home is a hoarder's paradise of junk that I just won't dispose of because I might, one day find a use for it!

Maggiemaybe Sat 30-Jul-16 10:40:46

The paid garden waste collections are popular round here, libra10. All ours goes on the compost heap, but it's handy for those that don't have one.

Maggiemaybe Sat 30-Jul-16 10:38:36

Our collectors did once decide that the laddered tights I'd put in our textiles bag didn't qualify as textiles (they did, of course!)and tipped them out onto the pavement. It's a bit blush to get home from work and find your underwear scattered around. Thank goodness they weren't old knickers!

libra10 Sat 30-Jul-16 10:28:25

Our local council are considering adding a surcharge of £30 year for collection of recycleable (garden waste) bin material.

It's only a couple of years ago that they closed our local landfill site, and now we have to travel an extra five miles to get rid of rubbish.

It shows the council's 'non environmentally friendly' stance.

sunseeker Sat 30-Jul-16 10:15:25

You can buy nets for recycling bins. If non-recyclable items are found in the boxes here, the recyclable items are taken and the non-recyclables are left.

librarylady Sat 30-Jul-16 09:57:17

The person responsible is whoever dumped the stuff in your bin - but of course it is much easier to have a go at someone who you think you 'own'.

Nain9bach Sat 30-Jul-16 09:24:13

If I come across as militant! It's only because I have been driven that way by the country's bureaucratic clap trap of it is always someone else's responsibility and that the person paying the taxes is at fault for some trivial reason.

radicalnan Sat 30-Jul-16 09:17:10

Why no lids on re-cycling boxes? My rubbish is often re- cycled into litter as it blows along the road, sticks in hedges and fills other people's gardens, while their stuff arrives in my garden and makes me look like a larger lout........cans make such a noise in transit too. I do not understand the logic behind that style of box at all.

Nain9bach Sat 30-Jul-16 09:14:15

Yesterday I came home to find that my recycling bin was not emptied because it stated that I had non recycle items in. The picture to show what non recycle meant was CDs and cassette tape. No I hadn't put those in - I haven't used cassettes in 15 years and I haven't ditched any CDs. I then emptied the top of the recycle bin into 3 black bin bags. On the way to the council offices I stopped the waste co. bin waggon. Asked the men to look into the bags - they took them away to be recycled as there were no items that couldn't be recycled. Then I went to the council offices, I was told that I could have the number of the waste co.; I said no thanks I have a contract with you (council) and you have a contract to the job with the waste co. so the council needs to sort. I was told that I must have inadvertently put something in that couldn't be recycled. I said no - clearly not as the waste was taken off me to be recycled. I was told that if it should happen again I am to ring council and they will come and check my bin but of course I am to realise that the bin will not be emptied until the next scheduled run. I don't think so because if it happens again - I will bag and I will empty said contents on the desk of the person responsible at the council for managing this sh1t.

NotTooOld Fri 29-Jul-16 22:15:40

OMG! Recycling is the bane of my life. I used to love it when we were in Spain where all rubbish went in the same bin tra-la and no-one recycled anything (it's probably changed now). My DH is fanatical about it, though, and has become a recycling police person like Grannyben, so I have to watch it. I'd better duck behind the barrier now.