Gransnet forums

Chat

My favourite perfume, but no longer available.

(75 Posts)
chicken Mon 01-Aug-16 16:51:21

What's your favourite perfume? I don't much like modern perfumes, they all seem to smell much the same and are very musky. My favourite ever perfume, the one I wore on my wedding day, was "In Love" by Norman Hartnell, but it was discontinued years ago and can't even be found on ebay. I have a tiny little phial of it stored away and have a sniff of it now and again--can't use it as it's irreplaceable! I wish it could be reissued. I'd buy it like a shot.

Neversaydie Tue 02-Aug-16 12:42:02

Lots of old perfumes don't smell the same in their new formula apparently .Shame

Juggernaut Tue 02-Aug-16 12:59:42

TerriBull & janeainsworth
If either of you know anyone who's going to NY, there's a perfume shop at Pier 17 which stocks Balmain Jolie Madame, at reasonable prices, or it did in March when I was last there!
A young Iraqi student who was based with my dad in 1976 stayed at our house for a while, and while he was there my mum celebrated her 50th birthday. He went to Brown's of Chester and asked for a perfume 'to suit a lady of fifty five years' and Jolie Madame was recommended.
Mum wore it regularly from then on, and when she died I started using her bottle to remind me of her......I got hooked too, but have only ever found it in NY!
Alternately, you could try Amazon.com (not co.uk) as it's on there for a lot less than is being charged over here!

sarahc446655 Tue 02-Aug-16 13:03:17

I used to work with perfume found the celebrity perfumes evaporated not long after putting on. Also agree that modern perfumes smell similar. Like Channel Sensuelle it also lasts put a bit on a card and put in your jewellery box - lasts and lasts.
Yves St Laurant Paris - iconic. Used to like Dior Poison the original, but gives me a sore throat now. Calvin Klein's Eternity still smells beautiful.
The quality ones last as they have better ingredients more oil less evaporating alchohol.
I must say there is a men's after shave that alot of males seem to wear that is absolutely horrible - it must be a Linx or something.
Mens Chanel and Estee Lauder are wonderful.

BBbevan Tue 02-Aug-16 13:28:14

My bed-ridden aunt always wore Apple Blossom by Helena Rubenstein I know I loved it on her when I was a child and she would dab a bit on my wrist. I can' t remember now what it was like

TerriBull Tue 02-Aug-16 14:01:43

Thanks Juggernaut, I was staying down near Seaport a couple of years ago when I visited New York if I'd known I could have got it on Pier 17 I would have bulk bought it grin however I will bear that in mind if anyone I know visits NY and ask if they can pick it up. Yes I check prices on Amazon from time to time for Jolie Madame, it can be expensive, clearly very coveted.

Grannyknot Tue 02-Aug-16 15:33:15

Years ago, I caught an ex-fiance out having an affair because of the very distinctive and extremely cloying perfume that he brought home in a miasma of unfaithfulness! I think it was Estee Lauder.

That and the lipstick on the collar ... "I gave her a hug" hmm grin

annsixty Tue 02-Aug-16 16:23:38

Would that have been Youth Dew Granny knot it was very strong and very distinctive. Serves him right I say.

TerriBull Tue 02-Aug-16 17:51:51

Youth Dew was a perfume a bunch of us doused ourselves in aged 16 or so, we had to club together to buy it and then made sure we all had our fair share. I'm sure a keen nose would have picked up the scent a mile away, damn strong stuff, particularly the way we sprayed it on, and then on and on. After that we graduated to oil of Patchouli which was not only very strong but also very strange hmm

BBbevan Thu 04-Aug-16 12:22:49

I had a friend who wore Youth Dew. You could always track where she had been, for hours afterwards, by the lingering smell. Hated it

gettingonabit Thu 04-Aug-16 12:36:38

I adore Youth Dew. One of the perfumes that actually smell of something!

I'm finding these days that perfumes either smell of nothing or of catspee.

DaphneBroon Thu 04-Aug-16 15:03:41

Nooooooooooo!
Youth Dew was like Poison, knocked you dead you could smell it from 500 paces. A taxi driver once told me he wouldn't let a woman wearing Youth Dew into his cab as it stunk the car out for weeks afterwards!!

gettingonabit Thu 04-Aug-16 15:51:41

But nowhere as near as nauseating strong as Eternity. And that one by Cerruti. Cripes on a crumpet! shock.

Youth Dew is tame by comparison imho.

I prefer the Shalimar/ Poison/Youth Dew/ Opium school of perfume meself. Power perfumes. smile.

numberplease Thu 04-Aug-16 21:16:59

I`ve loved Tocade, by Rochas, ever since I discovered it in a duty free shop in 1994, but for well over 10 years now all I can find on sale, and only online, is the eau de cologne version. Probably because it`s cheaper, but it doesn`t last on the skin, unlike the actual perfume. When I wore that, I could still smell it weeks later on coat collars.

Grannyknot Thu 04-Aug-16 21:22:10

Yep that was it - Youth Dew. I couldn't afford it at the time. They later married. And then ... he cheated on her! grin

Eloethan Fri 05-Aug-16 00:33:04

My favourite used to be Apple Blossom by, I think, Helena Rubenstein. Hasn't been available for many years. The nearest I can get to it now is L'air du Temps, Nina Ricci.

BBbevan Fri 05-Aug-16 04:40:56

Eloethan I think you can still get Apple Blossom on Amazon

Grannyknot Fri 05-Aug-16 06:53:08

Well. My Moon Drops arrived. And it smells like cat's pee smilesad.

So, has nostalgia let me down, or is this a poor copy?!

Eloethan Fri 05-Aug-16 10:26:52

Thank you Bevan - I didn't know that.

wot Fri 05-Aug-16 11:51:35

Witzend, I had some Je Reviens bought for me because I loved it back in the 60,s. It didn't smell the same at all and actually smelled of rancid polecat!! I was very disappointed.

loopylou Fri 05-Aug-16 17:01:12

I love Cabochard by Grès, I dread the day I can't get it.
I remember Aqua Mamda, Kiku, Blue Grass, Apple Blossom by Helena Rubenstein, Taboo (hated it!), Je Reviens.......a real trip down memory lane ?

numberplease Fri 05-Aug-16 18:04:16

I`m not so keen on Blue Grass now, but in my early 20s I loved it. I had one of those little pottery perfume sprays with the fabric squeezy bulb on top, after many years in a drawer could still smell the Blue Grass that used to be in it, must be the mark of a good perfume!

Andyf Fri 05-Aug-16 18:23:40

Does anyone remember the old Avon perfumes? Topaz, Somewhere, To a Wild Rose, Here is my heart. There was a couple more I'm struggling to remember the names of.

pensionpat Fri 05-Aug-16 18:39:20

Occur. Was that Avon?

wot Fri 05-Aug-16 18:42:51

Yes, I loved Occur. It was Avon and in a little black tub with a Crystal on it.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 05-Aug-16 19:17:36

Charisma was an Avon favourite of mine when my Mum was an Avon lady. When she gave it up, she let me have her little box of sample bottles and I worked my way through them - lasted me until about 1976!grin

There was one called Soft Musk or something and I wore it during the day when I started working.