Gransnet forums

Chat

Fresh flowers in the house

(94 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 11-Aug-16 07:31:29

I always, always have fresh flowers in the house. Went downstairs this morning and admired the white gladioli and lilac stocks in the vase whilst waiting for the kettle to boil. And the lovely perfume smile flowers

One of my favourite things is to refresh the arrangements halfway through the week, snipping and rearranging, sometimes in a smaller vase.

I will buy flowers from the "reduced" bucket and give them some love, although I am lucky in that we have a wonderful flower seller on our high street.

I realise it's a habit that I picked up from my gran (we'd pick fresh roses together when I was a child), who passed it on to my mother (even when money was tight, she'd always have flowers in the flat we lived in). Now, when I go to my daughter's house, there is always a vase of fresh flowers on her kitchen windowsill.

Do you have fresh flowers in the house?

kittylester Mon 12-Dec-16 14:35:45

Reported

Viphis15 Mon 12-Dec-16 11:02:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

grandMattie Sun 14-Aug-16 15:46:02

Love cut flowers. Have tried to have some in my house since I was a student - my friends thought I was mad!!! Present garden too small to cut flowers, if I did, there would be nothing left confused.
Pet hates? Chrysanthemums, v. large lilies especially the v. strong smelling Stargazer types. Make me feel sick.
Prefer seasonal flowers - daffs., tulips...
I do arrange flowers in the church but use all sorts of foliage, weeds and stuff. AT home I have much smaller arrangements, also loads of leafy houseplants.

granjura Sat 13-Aug-16 12:39:02

washing machine!

granjura Sat 13-Aug-16 12:29:18

They've been sleeping in the car mostly- so large comfy beds and that new Italian style shower will be appreciated I'm sure- and a washing too. Don't think they are too bothered about my lack of housekeeping skills - and will love the flowers... (won't notice probably) percussionist!

DaphneBroon Sat 13-Aug-16 10:59:05

If unexpected guests were imminent my Mum used to do three things(actually her house was never a tip anyway) which were
Empty waste paper baskets
Check the loo, squirt cleaner round it and a puff of air freshener
But most important , raid the garden for as many flowers or as much greenery as she could find to fill vases everywhere.
She reckoned you could get away with a lot if you had lots of flowers around the place.
And yes, I buy my own along with the shopping sad

granjura Sat 13-Aug-16 10:33:57

Found the name of that tall perrenial with the dainty white flowers à 'achillea the pearl' - at last. The other is a white spiky Lysimachia.

granjura Sat 13-Aug-16 10:30:51

Got little bunches of sweet peas everywhere today- and a big bouquet of garden solidago, spearmint, phlox and white flowers whose names I don't know, with some spiky blue veronicas.

Put some in the boys bedrooms too - nought wrong with flowers for boys. Remember the magical Hang Drum player who did a concert here last year. Just wrote yesterday from Vienna to ask if he and his Indian percussist friend could stay a few days for a rest, after their European Tour- after the concert tomorrow night in our local town Neuchâtel down by the lake.

Great fun- so lots of flowers everywhere.

trisher Sat 13-Aug-16 09:53:32

This just reminded me of a dear friend who I used to take daffodils to when he was very ill (he has since died). He said it was so nice to get flowers because people tended not to buy them for men. Isn't it sad that we still think only women can appreciate these things.

DanniRae Sat 13-Aug-16 09:08:18

Yes, I LOVE daffodils too. Nothing says Spring is on the way better than the sight of a bunch of daffodils - better still drifts of them in the local park.

MiniMouse Sat 13-Aug-16 08:26:39

Me too lully and Gk It's what they represent, as much as anything sunshine

Grannyknot Sat 13-Aug-16 08:14:19

lully me too! It makes me think "Spring is coming".

LullyDully Sat 13-Aug-16 08:05:30

Nothing in the world beats that first bunch of cheap daffodils which come into the shops. I can't resist them. I love to put them in a vase and wait with anticipation for the yellow flowers to come out. Must set endorphins off.

Willow500 Sat 13-Aug-16 06:45:04

I love fresh flowers but never buy them for myself as this house is just too hot and they don't last long but my OH always sends a huge bouquet for my birthday. My favourites are dahlias - they always bring back a memory of our first little house when we couldn't afford anything and I bought a cheap bunch and stuck them in a fish bowl which made the room look full of colour! My lovely neighbour who moved yesterday presented me with a beautiful orchid which looks so nice on the kitchen windowsill - I will do my best to take care of it as I only seem to look at plants and they wither too sad

Ilrina Sat 13-Aug-16 00:06:49

Oh Neversaydie I thought you would have Leeks grin

TyneAngel Fri 12-Aug-16 09:58:58

I too always have fresh flowers in the house, they give me such a lift. I find Asda flowers the most long-lasting, Waitrose the least. There's a lovely Chinese proverb: 'If you only have two pennies, spend one on bread and the other on flowers'.

dirgni Fri 12-Aug-16 09:21:28

I like aldi flowers too, but why do the stocks suddenly keel over the side of the vase?

Neversaydie Fri 12-Aug-16 09:20:35

Whoops 'arrange' not strange

Neversaydie Fri 12-Aug-16 09:19:48

My next door neighbour-a flower club member-used to call me a 'plonker'as I never really strange flowers Just stick them in a vase and twiddle them round a bit ...
I too love orchids Just the cheap £5 supermarket ones usually but they last for ages .
But you can't beat the variety of seasonal fresh flowers .Like other posters I love it when the early daffodils come into the shops (am Welsh ,which may be a factor)

Bbnan Fri 12-Aug-16 00:12:50

My dh buys flowers each week when shopping........each seasons vary......
It's my treat after 38 yrs of marriage

Ilrina Thu 11-Aug-16 23:35:47

My post about the lillies made no sense at all grin. I was multitasking when I typed it!! I just was looking back and thought
Huh??

NotTooOld Thu 11-Aug-16 21:12:47

Chicken - thanks for your comments re growing flowers for cutting in a trug. I will definitely give it a go next year.

I don't like chrysanthemums either because I hate the way the leaves and lower stems go slimy and brown.

Daffodils are my favourite but I won't buy them when they are in the shops too early. This year our local Morrison had them in before Christmas.

trisher Thu 11-Aug-16 21:10:35

Only have flowers if they are bought for me or picked on walks in the country. I like the special feeling when I am given them.
There is always G.B Shaw's comment when he was given some flowers by a woman admirer who noticed he didn't seem very pleased with them. She asked if he didn't like flowers. He replied that he did, and that he was also very fond of children "But I don't cut off their heads and put them in vases."

Sheilasue Thu 11-Aug-16 20:38:15

I have fresh flowers in our apartment/flat all year round.

Maranta Thu 11-Aug-16 20:19:53

I buy them occasionally and would do more often if I knew they were grown here. I don't like to think of all the air miles they have done.