Gransnet forums

Chat

Exciting or what!?!

(35 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 12-Aug-16 20:56:15

My brother was an extra in that film about William Wilberforce and the slave trade - we have seen it and spotted him! It was in full costume of course and the bit he liked best was being measured up for his tight trousers by a young costume assistant!

Katek Fri 12-Aug-16 20:34:01

We had a friend, now long gone, whose claim to fame was he played the tail gunner in The Dambusters. When you see the film there he is, flying jacket collar up to his ears, wearing an oxygen mask, goggles and flying helmet! Totally unrecognisable!

morethan2 Fri 12-Aug-16 20:27:09

Exciting...I'd hate it though. I avoid the camera at all cost.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Aug-16 20:20:36

A couple of our relatives are regular extras in one of the soaps. We don't normally watch it, but just make sure we catch it occasionally to see if we can spot them sinking a pint and a glass of wine in the snug and miming a lively conversation (apparently rhubarb, rhubarb isn't allowed these days grin). We keep hinting that they could put in a kind word for DH and me, but I think they've cornered the market for "elderly couple in smart casual".

Jalima Fri 12-Aug-16 20:08:43

sorry - I didn't mean to sound pessimistic!!

I hope your DH gets the job, enjoys it very much - even if his scene is cut (I hope not) - he will have had a good time and been paid for it.

Jalima Fri 12-Aug-16 19:56:05

DD did quite a lot of extra work a few years ago.
She was in several tv productions but was rather put out that her scene in a well-known film was cut! shock

Katek Fri 12-Aug-16 19:05:18

Maybe I could be a distance double for Dame Judi.....we're about the same height!

Jane10 Fri 12-Aug-16 18:55:07

Brilliant! Why don't you apply too? You could be Lady Katek.

ninathenana Fri 12-Aug-16 18:54:00

Oooh, I'm jealous, would love to do that.

Fingers crossed for him.

Katek Fri 12-Aug-16 18:51:21

DH jokingly put himself forward as an extra for some filming last year but wasn't selected. Out of the blue, however, he's been contacted by the agency for a job filming in the Highlands in September! He's got through 3 selection stages- including the photo round - and is still in the running. I think it's because he has a beard and moustache and the film is set in Victorian Scotland. In fact it's about Queen Victoria after the death of John Brown and guess who's playing the Queen? Only Dame Judi Dench! I'll be so disappointed if he's not selected....it's a paid job as well!