Gransnet forums

Chat

Why are some people obsessed with true crime

(40 Posts)
Linsco56 Tue 23-Aug-16 14:42:08

One woman in my Monday walking group is totally obsessed with watching a cable tv channel which offers nothing other than details and reenactments of true crime and then seems to take great pleasure in providing everyone with the gory details.

Aren't there enough heartbreaking stories on the news without raking over this type of thing (that she seems to revel in). No one engages or encourages her in this type of conversation but that doesn't to stop her. Is she seems to be taking pleasure in these evil acts...Why?

TrustNoOne Wed 24-Aug-16 09:57:19

Thanks for the Ann Rule on kindle Pollengran, but they are abit expensive.

I like British crime, got loads of it on the Tivo, just started Midsomer Murders from S1E1.

I'm don't think I would like the facts although the police just solved a 40 year mystery with the DNA of his daughter and I found that very interesting so I can understand the interest.

sunseeker Wed 24-Aug-16 10:04:43

I occasionally watch the true crime programmes. It is interesting to see how real crimes are solved as opposed to the TV dramas where everything is solved in an hour. Its interesting to listen to how real detectives work.

Lilyflower Wed 24-Aug-16 10:19:07

I think it is prurient to dabble in the 'true life' miseries of others. However, there may well be some hypocrisy involved here as I am also a great aficionado of crime fiction. I don't actually like the grisly parts although I can grit my teeth and get through them as I know they are not real and no one has suffered at all.

What interests me in detective fiction is the puzzle of solving the fictional crime, the essentially moral and crusading world of the detective who is always battling both the criminals and his/her foolish bosses (and the system) to create justice for the victim, the portrayal of a morally compromised world, the genre of realism portrayed through a dual narrative from an omniscient or first person perspective, a conventional as opposed to a 'modern novel' narrative style (though I like the way dectective writers have incorporated many new techniques) and the fact that many good literary writers have chosen this genre to express their ideas.

Ironically, in many ways the dectective story is a consoling alternative to the hideous and callous world of real life crime.

sunseeker Wed 24-Aug-16 10:40:30

In the true crime programmes, many of those affected by the crime do take part - telling how it affected them.

Tudorrose Wed 24-Aug-16 11:31:14

I think part of it is a sense of "there but for the grace of God go I" I do think forensic evidence is fascinating but by police & experts showing how clever they are they give lots of useful tips to criminals on how to avoid detection, eg pay for petrol with cash instead of a credit card

oldgoose Wed 24-Aug-16 17:41:55

I do read about true crime, but rarely watch it on TV. As others have said it is often because I want to see how people are brought to justice and the amazing work that goes on in order to do that. I also am interested in the minds of the killer. What has happened in their life or in their mind to make them want to do such terrible things to other people. If we got answers to some of these questions it might help to identify a potential killer and maybe even intervene before that happens. The recent Oscar Pistorius crime for example, is complex and I often think I would hate to have to be a judge for a situation like this. I think it's fascinating but also scares and disturbs me sometimes and I wouldn't class it as particular pastime of mine - just something that catches my mind and I have to know more. It's interesting to know other people's views but I certainly don't go on about it, nor would I.

marionk Wed 24-Aug-16 18:00:16

I think it is natural for us humans to indulge in a little harmless voyeurism otherwise how do you explain the popularity of shows like Big Brother and I'm a Celebrity, surely people only watch to see others humiliation

janeainsworth Wed 24-Aug-16 18:30:53

I wonder if those who think it's prurient to watch true life crime portrayed after the event, show the same delicacy and restraint about reading current crime stories in the newspapers or following it on TV? Essentially there is no difference between watching a reconstruction of something that happened years ago, and the latest update on a missing person enquiry, or the Madeleine McCann mystery.
I rarely watch TV but very much enjoyed two books by Kate Summerscale - the Suspicions of Mr Whicher and another one about a divorce case in Scotland in the 1890's (I think).
Both the books are very well written and researched and a pleasure to read.
Does the amount of time that has elapsed since the crime/scandal happened, make it more acceptable to read about it?

Legs55 Wed 24-Aug-16 18:43:22

I love the process of solving crimes & forensics has always interested me. I do watch many of these programmes & read novels about crime & forensics. However I would not discuss these with others unless they shared my interest - I have a friend who shares the same taste & we do discuss this subject.

I love DC Banks, Vera, Lewis, Midsommer Murders etc as well as some of the American ones Criminal Minds, NCIS, Stalkers who Kill etc.

That is my relaxation along with many comedy programmes & documentaries grin

judypark Wed 24-Aug-16 20:05:21

I find the psychological aspect interesting. Are people actually born wicked or is it a damaged childhood? I would tend to go with the latter. It's the old Nature verses Nurture question.

Iam64 Wed 24-Aug-16 20:53:01

I enjoy crime/psychological thrillers. Like others here, I like the forensic analysis, the process of unpicking and finally solving the crime. I also feel reassured that good (almost ) always, triumphs over evil.

I watched a couple of episodes of the recent tv drama, based on the real life story of a dentist, played by James Nesbitt. The events took places in a small town/village in Northern Ireland. The dentist and his family, his lover and her family were very religious. I think they were involved in a Baptist Church but in any event, their faith was central to their lives. Despite this, he murdered his wife and her husband. I found the drama very difficult to watch, it was chilling and the fact it was based on real life events made me feel uncomfortable. The children and other family/friends were still alive and must have found it so intrusive.
To describe those with an interest in true crime as prurient seems judgemental to me. I don't seek it out and as I said, I found the Nesbit drama unsettling, only watched a couple of the final episodes and was chilled but - I wouldn't judge others for their interest.

janeainsworth Wed 24-Aug-16 20:59:26

I think it's a bit more complicated than that, Judy. According to Philip Larkin, we are all f*cked up by our mums and dads. Other factors come into play too in determining whether someone will commit a crime.

For example, according to the Fraud Triangle, for occupational fraud to take place, the individual has to feel three things - financial pressure, opportunity and rationalisation, ie they feel they have some justification for their actions.
www.acfe.com/fraud-triangle.aspx

I agree, it's interesting.

Interesting that faced with the same situation, individuals will act differently.

Iam64 Wed 24-Aug-16 21:03:50

judypark, nurture has an impact but how is that in many families where several children have been brought up by the same, loving and good enough parents, only one child follows a damaging and often dangerous path in life. As a younger woman, I believed nurture topped it all but life and work experiences led me to think differently.

janeainsworth Wed 24-Aug-16 21:59:47

Iam I agree the James Nesbitt drama was unsettling.
I think what was different about it, as well as the events being so recent, was the way it was dramatised - if you hadn't known otherwise, you would have imagined it was a work of fiction, and thus the balance of information vs entertainment was tipped towards entertainment.
If it had been a straight documentary it would perhaps have been less offensive and intrusive to the living relatives.