Gransnet forums

Chat

Sock sorting

(38 Posts)
thatbags Tue 30-Aug-16 09:45:03

Video showing how a computer algorithm suggests doing sock sorting.

Good grief! How to make a mountainous job out of a mole hill sized one! grin I have never found it that difficult. Has any female gransnetter?

I suppose there might be interesting computational spin offs. Aye, right.

Photo is of my socks-awaiting-matching jar. These two have been there for quite a while. I think some sock chucking out may follow this post.

Synonymous Tue 30-Aug-16 16:42:51

We suffer from the missing sock syndrome in our house too and that is in spite of DH putting his socks in a zipped net bag. Yesterday, when I took them out of the bag after washing them to hang them on the washing line there was an odd sock. I hunted high and low for it but to no avail. On reading this thread out to DH I mentioned that in spite of everything I had still seemed to have lost one and had spent ages checking everywhere. There was a short silence and DH said, "Well, I can explain that as I threw one out and kept that one in case I need it as it is the same as another pair I have" Grr! hmm

Lilyflower Tue 30-Aug-16 19:06:21

Just buy the same socks all the time and then they'll match.

Witzend Wed 31-Aug-16 09:22:15

I once counted over 70 odd socks in this house - that was when both dds were still at home.
They went in a big plastic bag, waiting for their other halves to turn up. IIRC they were there for a few years before I just chucked the lot out.

Funnily enough, now it's just me and dh, I hardly ever find odd socks. I think dds used to wear non matching ones anyway, and then I expect they were always leaving half a pair at someone else's house after staying the night.

When he was working I would buy dh all plain black or navy, but it didn't solve the problem since some always faded more than others - he had a lot of washing done in hotels while on business trips.
Nowadays I only buy him socks with very definite patterns, so much easier to pair up. Though for summer he has bought himself heaven knows how many identical pairs of short stretchy white ones, to wear with trainer type shoes and the shorts he lives in for months, as long as it's remotely warm enough.

wot Wed 31-Aug-16 10:04:01

I put a coloured thread stitch at the top of my black socks. A friend laughed at this but the socks all fade at their own rate ?

Jalima Wed 31-Aug-16 10:04:03

I am enjoying this thread grin especially the poems!
Thanks thatbags

We used to have an enormous bag full of odd socks when the DC were home - DH used to nag me to throw them out, but of course if you do that the other one turns up.
The mesh bag idea is good and when I remember I do put them in one.

Did you or your Mum ever make glove puppets out of odd socks? Sew on some buttons for eyes and sew a mouth - even today's sophisticated children might enjoy acting out little plays with them!

Tizliz Wed 31-Aug-16 10:17:15

I wouldn't give him a job, he was so slow. You don't sort socks like that - I spread them out over the bed and then pairs are easy to see, but I do it at about three times the speed he did.

Stansgran Wed 31-Aug-16 12:06:27

I have a shoe box in the cupboard above the washing machine. Odd sock are placed in it . On days when I have nothing better todo- waiting for the workman to call etc. I sort the odd bods. It's quite rewarding to match up. I feel abit BOGOF . DH doesn't throw socks out but I do . He has some wonderful merino ones I bought in Christchurch NZ over ten years ago( sadly in the university quad which is destroyed now) and I have never had to darn one yet. ( I find darning very soothing)
Should I get out more?

SewAddict Wed 31-Aug-16 18:28:11

I don't sort socks any more since I bought plastic sock clips. They go into the laundry basket clipped together and wash like that. Brilliant, no more pair sorting and we have a different colour each. ? No more lost socks.

Jalima Wed 31-Aug-16 18:32:12

I spread them out on the bed too; most of DH's are plainish but with a small bit of colour, I can sort them very quickly.

Yes, go out more Stansgran. grin I used to hate darning and was never very good at it; it is in the same category as starching and ironing the collars of collar-detached shirts.

FarNorth Wed 31-Aug-16 19:01:35

He compares "radix sort" to "inefficient sort" and it is very inefficient so of course radix is the winner.
I sort them much more quickly than he does.

My DGD (3) was recently horrified to see her dad wearing one green and one blue sock, even tho they had the same smiley face pattern! She insisted he should have two the same and luckily she found the other blue one for him!

rosesarered Wed 31-Aug-16 22:58:41

My own socks never go missing, but we have a drawer full of Dh's odd socks, so the answer lies with him.... He throws away a sock if it has a hole in it, or he considers it's thinning, and puts the good sock in the laundry bin.So the washing machine doesn't eat them after all.

Legs55 Fri 09-Sep-16 23:00:35

Never sorted socks into pairs for years as I rarely wore socks. When DC were living at home all their washing went on their beds for them to sort out & put away or iron themselves (they were teenagers). Same for DH - let him do his own grin

Don't have that problem now I'm widowed & live on my own - I only own 1 pair of socks which I haven't worn for years (hot feet even in winter) smile