Gransnet forums

Chat

70th birthday gift suggestions?

(72 Posts)
Primrose40 Thu 08-Sep-16 14:57:24

Hello! My mother is turning 70 in a month and I'm struggling to find the right gift for her. I've done a bit of Googling and came across this page www.gransnet.com/shopping/60th-birthday-gift-ideas, but is there something I can get her that's more '70' than the standard afternoon tea etc etc? Any suggestions much appreciated!!

GNHQ here - we've got a great page of ideas for 70th birthdays.

Pollengran Thu 08-Sep-16 15:10:34

I thought those gifts were quite expensive (apart from the bumble bee) so it depends on how much you want to spend really.

I love comfy gifts. Big snuggly ugg boot style slippers, M@S towelling robes, Woodwick crackly scented candles, a bottle of Prosecco, chocolates and a bouquet of white flowers.

Yes, ALL of them at once please smile.

Elegran Thu 08-Sep-16 15:18:00

Primrose You know your mother better than any of us. Some people are old at 70, some are young, some are fit and like to go out and about, some have mobility problems or prefer their own fireside, some do all kinds of crafts, some never could thread a needle, or their eyes and fingers are not now as nimble as they used to be.

How does your mother spend her time? Does she read, knit, sew, garden, go out to clubs or classes, volunteer? Does she see her children/grandchildren often or live far from them? Does she enjoy a meal out?

If you answer these questions, and think back to what she enjoyed doing when she (and you) were younger, maybe you can think of an answer to your own question? If you are still stuck, i am sure people will come along with plenty of suggestions.

One thing that is certain - she will appreciate your company doing something together.

MargaretX Thu 08-Sep-16 15:39:01

When I was about to become 70 I told my daughters that for a present I wanted them to plan a family day. I wanted nothing to do with it but be invited and go and have a happy day. My birthday is in January and I wanted a family day in summertime.

After they had recovered from the shock of having to do a lot of planning etc they invited me to a riverside venue and and they were all there and we had a lovely day. The GCs asked if we could do it more often but they did not realise what a lot for planning of days off and days free that had to be negotiated.

Sundancer123 Thu 08-Sep-16 15:39:27

Hi Primrose, I turned 70 in May and whilst the mirror tells me so, in my head I am still 'young'.
I was delighted to receive a years subscription to an up market magazine, tickets to a show with my daughter and her girls and also a voucher for a local beauty salon I use , that does treatments as well as hair.
What about a spa day or w/end?

I hope these things might inspire you and whatever you choose, I'm sure she will enjoy her day.
?

Primrose40 Thu 08-Sep-16 15:58:12

MargaretX that sounds lovely. I have two other siblings so perhaps that may be an idea to have a family day out.

Elegran she does like sewing and knitting, but it's difficult finding something she hasn't already got. Also a new pair of knitting needles just doesn't seem 'enough' for a 70th birthday gift.

I wouldn't say she was 'young' for her age, nor is she 'old'. Something in the middle!

Elegran Thu 08-Sep-16 16:07:27

Is there somewhere in your area that does a weekend course in something a bit different connected with something she enjoys sewing or knitting? Or in a different related subject - Tunisian crochet, paper sewing pattern drafting and cutting, machine embroidery?

Indinana Thu 08-Sep-16 16:08:12

Whilst I agree that a pair of knitting needles doesn't cut the mustard, if she is actually a keen knitter she might be very pleased with this set of high quality needles. My son bought me this set and they really are the bees knees!
Or this set of interchangeable needles for circular knitting.

shysal Thu 08-Sep-16 16:28:50

I turned 70 this year and requested an afternoon tea with family. It was an expensive 'posh' one (reduced via Groupon) and I loved it! Would your Mum appreciate something similar followed by a trip to see the new Bridget Jones film?
The best part was spending time with them, which doesn't happen so often these days as the GCs are older they are all so busy.
I hope you come up with something to suit.

Primrose40 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:04:31

Oh thanks Indinana! I didn't even know you could pay that kind of money for a pair of knitting needles... Can you definitely tell the difference when you use them?

Thanks Elegran, I'll have to do some research on the local area. I've not heard of Tunisian crochet...

Primrose40 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:05:02

shysal that looks amazing - was it afternoon tea in London?

Wobblybits Thu 08-Sep-16 20:10:57

MY OH is 70 today, the present she was most please with was a token for a full makeover at our local beauty parlour. My present didn't get a look in sad

annsixty Thu 08-Sep-16 20:31:33

I am reaping what I have sewn. I never went in for excess of any sort for my or family's birthdays or any occasion actually, so no-one ever makes a fuss of me. Do your mother proud and spoil her and spend as much as you feel you can.

NanKate Thu 08-Sep-16 20:49:27

I am 70 later this month and I gave DH and DS my 'Bucket List' of possible gifts which they were pleased receive as it stopped them getting something I didn't want.

So here is the list.

Silk (machine washable) pillowcases from John Lewis.
A week away with DH to Ironbridge, never been before, but I am looking forward to the Victorian Village.
Next year a family holiday with DH, DS, D in L and our 2 GSs to the Jurassic coast. Just booked a lovely Farm Stay for us all.

Having been ill earlier in the year it made me realise the only things that are really important are health and the family.

supernanauna1 Fri 09-Sep-16 00:15:35

My 70th is in November and my list for my family is as follows:-

No big fuss.
An hour with a tall person who can reach to wallpaper the tall bits in the hall - so I can finish the wallpapering I started five years ago.
A meal at Harvester or Toby - nothing fancy.
Flowers - again, nothing expensive - quite happy with a bunch from Tesco.
A bottle of Dune perfume.

And if there's tons of money available, a facelift, liposuction and a new hairdo.

Done!

For my 60th, they arranged for my family to come over from Ireland for a couple of days - but I would much rather have had some warning so I could have had my hair done, spring clean the house beforehand, buy a new outfit etc. I'm afraid I don't do well with those sort of surprises.

shysal Fri 09-Sep-16 09:10:01

Primrose40, no it was in Oxfordshire. The Crazy Bear, Stadhampton. It is an Olde Worlde boutique hotel/pub/wedding venue. The room for teas I can only describe as a tart's boudoir! The photo doesn't show the leopard print carpet, red leather studded walls or new chairs which are now fuschia pink crushed velvet. Tea was lovely, even greedy old I couldn't finish it!

Indinana Fri 09-Sep-16 09:36:14

Primrose40 yes you really can tell the difference with the Knitpro knitting needles - they are light, smooth, they don't 'squeak' or feel sweaty like steel ones. They seem to make knitting effortless!

Although not for me at the moment as I've had to give up knitting due to carpal tunnel syndrome sad. Hoping to get it sorted, either with steroid injections or, if they don't work, with surgery. I'm really missing knitting while watching TV!

Eloethan Fri 09-Sep-16 09:45:31

Nankate I like your list.

Angela1961 Fri 09-Sep-16 09:55:13

A subscription to a magazine was much appreciated by my mother. If she is mobile a weekend away just you and her to a place she would enjoy visiting.

maryhoffman37 Fri 09-Sep-16 09:58:59

When I turned 70 last year, my daughter in New Zealand sent a parcel of local food goodies and new framed photos of them and their little daughter (joined by a baby boy later in the year). She Skyped on the day and watched me open the parcel. The other two clubbed together to take me to a spa day with two treatments.

I am a "young" 71, still working and would hate to be given anything "grannyfied." e.g. lavender-scented anything!

Seb2015 Fri 09-Sep-16 10:09:52

How fit and active is your Mum. For my Mum's 75th birthday I paid for her to go up in a microlight and she absolutely loved it. Then we had a surprise party (it was August so we had a bbq, so informal and fun) for her and invited her friends - again a huge success

pollyperkins Fri 09-Sep-16 10:22:06

I asked for a day and meal with all the family and a family photo. They booked a photographer for a photo session at a lovely hotel, we had photos of all tge famiky together and in groups in the hotel grounds and all had lunch together. Later DH and i ate at the (rather posh) hotel and stayed overnight. It waca great day. My daughter made a cake too.

Humbertbear Fri 09-Sep-16 10:37:32

I plan to go to Verona to the opera for my 70th. The only gifts I want are a studio portrait of the family, theatre vouchers or a painting course. Oh, now I've got going could someone please treat me to a weekend at my favourite spa?
How about one of those services that delivers flowers once a month for a year?

NanKate Fri 09-Sep-16 11:12:55

I'm glad you approve Eloethan I wonder if the silk pillowcase will have any dramatic effect on my skin or hair. hmm

The two holidays with those that I love will be the highlight.

Lizziehop2 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:29:13

I will be 70 next year and I am arranging a ( girls only) trip to the Champagne region in France! Lots of visits to small champagne houses with lots of champagne being consumed!! Ages of my friends/family range from 33 - 75 - and we will all have fun!!!!!