Gransnet forums

Chat

wish I could do that

(59 Posts)
overthehill Sun 11-Sep-16 14:44:45

This is about skills others can do and you admire and wish you could do the same.

Being caravanners we often spend time in service areas and have to go in the HGV section. The skill these drivers have in backing up their huge vehicles leaves me in awe. DH makes a valiant attempt with the van but doesn't always pull it off. This is in spite of taking a maneuvering course.

Blodwen1910 Mon 12-Sep-16 22:50:47

A new choir has been started in Cardiff specially for people who can't sing but long to be in a choir. Good idea???

littleoldlady Tue 13-Sep-16 07:27:27

I sing opera in the car .I screech and wail to the music and have a wonderful time . It 's great exercise for the lungs too.

I sing opera in the car .I screech and wail to the music and have a wonderful time . It 's great exercise for the lungs too.

Aepgirl Tue 13-Sep-16 07:32:45

Everybody CAN sing. Just join a local choir - there are hundreds of them out there - and you will find that most members were told at some time or other that they can't sing. It's fun, and sociable. Just give it a go.

What I would love to be able to do is arrange flowers.

UkeCan61 Tue 13-Sep-16 07:33:37

I have many hobbies. Some I think I was 'born with' eg art, singing. Others, like sewing and crafting I was taught by my mum - although I think these too are in the blood in my family.
However, I am in a community choir and local people are encouraged to join, there is no audition and it's amazing that those who thought they couldn't sing actually can. With the right encouragement and choir leader most people have a voice and in a choir it is safety in numbers.
If anyone wants to try and learn an instrument - get a ukulele! It is the most rewarding little instrument ever. it is easy to learn and you get quick results and now most areas have a uke group.. One tip though - don't get a cheap one! It won't stay in tune and you will think it is your playing at fault when it is really your rubbish 'toy' ukulele. A decent concert size will cost around £60-£70.
The good thing about buying a good one is that if you don't take to it, you can always sell it. Give it a try!

Wobblybits Tue 13-Sep-16 08:18:49

Aeepgirl. I will qualify my post re singing --- I wish I could sing in tune. I sing every Monday night with our ukulele group, but, not in tune for very long, then my voice breaks and I lose it, only get away with it in a group, solo I sound awful, not for the want of trying. My ear is fine.

UkeCan61 Tue 13-Sep-16 22:44:26

Ooh Wobblybits a fellow uker! Are you obsessed too? Playing the ukulele has been my saviour during lots of bad family stuff. I love playing it and singing and trying out new songs. grin