Gransnet forums

Chat

Sugar daddies

(43 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 19-Sep-16 07:55:52

Having just watched on morning tv while eating my breakfast a piece about Sugar Daddies something I had come across before but brought it back to my attention
Basically it's used by mainly students which involves them being kept or paid through university in return for either their company or their favours by richer men
I m not being particularly biased against this but the two girls and the man interviewed all insisted it wasn't protitution but I m blowed if I can see the differences
What do you think ?

Im68Now Sat 24-Sep-16 09:09:58

Now look Wobblybits, if I'm paying for it, I want to see what I'm buying, Start posting pictures with an erection.wink

Wobblybits Sat 24-Sep-16 09:02:29

Looks like there is a problem with my email, I have not received any of the offers that must have been sent sad

grannypiper Sat 24-Sep-16 08:23:37

Tarts ! Ask those same girls in 20 years time if they are still so proud of their prostitution and i bet the answer will be no.

Wobblybits Tue 20-Sep-16 13:31:05

My body is open to offers, start bidding ladies smile

M0nica Tue 20-Sep-16 11:57:31

The problem is that in a society where people can quite freely sell their bodies for sexual use others begin to assume that everyone is available at a price.

We have enough problems at the moment where it is assumed that if a woman dresses to look good then she must be seeking a sexual encounter. If it was assumed, as it would be, that any woman between, say, 16 and 30 is available for a price, young women would as a group be seen primarily as sexual objects rather than the active intelligent rational beings they are, seeking education and careers.

This fscility would, I assume be accepted across all gender couplings, but it would be young women who would be the main victims.

Wobblybits Tue 20-Sep-16 11:47:21

I can't imagime a situation where a woman would wait hand and foot on a man, the again, perhaps hmm

starbird Tue 20-Sep-16 11:13:37

There was a case in the paper recently of a scheme whereby a student lived with a pensioner no sex involved, A reasonable rent and it gave the pensioner a new lease of life to have someone young around. I think foreign students are more into doing this as they are used to the idea of having elderly relatives living with the family. Obviously there would be the possibilty of abuse (eg the student stealing money etc) but most people are kind and honest.

dogsmother Tue 20-Sep-16 11:12:26

Yes, prostitution, and no, nothing wrong if that is the choice they make. Selling the assets they have.
There is no way in the world I would and I doubt my daughter would either far too much personal pride and dignity.

Wobblybits Tue 20-Sep-16 11:04:26

Ana shock

Ana Tue 20-Sep-16 10:59:53

Yes, you only have to look at the spate of girls selling their virginity online to the highest bidder a couple of years ago to see that it's a sign of the times.

trisher Tue 20-Sep-16 10:46:47

I've decided that actually I can see very little wrong with what they are doing. Once upon a time some things were considered to be above commercial value. I'm thinking of education, health care etc. Now everything has a price on it. So why young women shouldn't carry this on to cover their bodies and sexual services I don't know. It is the ultimate result of a society where there is a price tag on everything.

Iam64 Tue 20-Sep-16 07:43:13

Good point wondergran, it's becoming much more difficult for mature students. I was a single parent when I went to the Poly. I was sponsored by my future employer, had a very low income, which was just above what I'd have got on the dole. I enjoyed the course and the freedom that comes with study. I came out with a good professional qualification and no debt. If I was in the same position today, I'd owe about £60,000 minimum by the time I qualified. Would I have done the training, nope, I'd have remained working as a PA. We're heading for a place where all our nurses, social workers, teachers etc are young graduates, rather than the great mix of former hair dressers, engineers, merchant seamen, secretaries, police officers who in the past could get a small grant, supplement it by working in holidays or evenings and bring a real mix of life experience along with their professional qualification to their new careers
No sugar daddies wanted or needed

wondergran Mon 19-Sep-16 21:18:36

I guess they are very keen for it NOT to be seen as prostitution because of the legality of it plus are these sums of money gifts or taxable income? I hate the idea but money talks. My daughter is £47,000 in uni debt, struggling to get a job that isn't zero hours and crap pay and has a little boy to support. Life is so bloody unfair at times.

BlueBelle Mon 19-Sep-16 21:14:58

It was a tongue in cheek statement izzypopbottle smile

lizzypopbottle Mon 19-Sep-16 21:02:27

Gosh, BlueBelle, do you think these girls list their sugar daddy as a legitimate job on their CV? ?

BlueBelle Mon 19-Sep-16 20:50:02

Well I couldn't afford to get my kids through uni so they all worked I mean proper work to fund themselves and did it completely on their own The girls interviewed did not look as if they came from poor families but even so I would have thought a regular job would look better on the CV

Iam64 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:33:49

I would not have done this, or anything like it myself and I'd hate it if any of my children did. It's selling your body for money, that's prostitution . I agree with Elegran, if these young women had respect for themselves, they wouldn't do it. My daughters worked in retail and in bars to supplement the money we were able to give them. Good for them, they're in their 30's and have worked in some way since 6th form and honestly, I consider its been good for them. I'm not going all Yorkshire - Luxury - about this,just the idea of them selling themselves so they could have a new handbag makes me feel rather sick.

grandMattie Mon 19-Sep-16 17:13:56

A very vexing situation. If the girl feels happy and at ease with what she does, and if she doesn't do it for many men, is it being a "mistress" or "courtesan"? arm candy? who knows?
I saw an interview of a girl and her mother, the mum was perfectly happy with the situation...
I'm not sure I would have done it, or perhaps if all was needed was company - if being a hot-water bottle was involved, I think I would have not done it. I was fortunate that my parents could afford my fees, etc...

trisher Mon 19-Sep-16 16:56:33

I'm still wondering if I would have done anything like this if I hadn't had a grant when I was at college. I'd like to say a definite 'no' but if the bloke wasn't too bad I'm not sure. I did some shitty jobs in the holidays that I would have been pleased to walk away from.

Elegran Mon 19-Sep-16 16:47:10

Maybe if they some decent respect for themselves they wouldn't do it.

Sheilasue Mon 19-Sep-16 16:41:53

Well maybe if they got a decent grant they wouldn't have to do it.

Elegran Mon 19-Sep-16 15:35:16

Indeed, Nannanoo, and what pleasure could a rich middle-aged or older man possibly find in spending his money on a young, intelligent girl who is willing to go to bed with him in exchange for access to his credit card, with no hanging round dodgy houses of ill repute and hoping he won't get his pocket picked or find he has gone home with more than he thought he was buying.

Wonder what the same girls would say if their own father was emptying his bank account on some gold-digger?

lizzypopbottle Mon 19-Sep-16 15:33:06

Certainly, the old fashioned idea of the 'kept woman' was disapproved of as just another form of prostitution, just not selling to multiple punters on the street. I've often heard of women within marriage using sex to get things bought for them and, in the days when women gave up work when they married, they were kept, financially, by their husbands. The husband got sex (and housekeeping of course). That's a kind of trade, isn't it?

I suppose more recent generations see sex simply as an activity rather than putting it on a pedestal. (Does that sound bit athletic? ?) Perhaps it's just a sign of the times. Attitudes began to change with the advent of the pill. Saving yourself for marriage was, after all, the surest form of contraception. Now here we are with rampant STIs and one of the highest rates of teenage pregnancy in the developed world! Sex isn't special. That's progress....apparently.

VIOLETTE Mon 19-Sep-16 15:24:44

As Caroline Ahern said when interviewing Debbie about her marriage ....tell me, what was it that attracted you to the balding, middle aged MILLIONAIRE ....?

Say no more ....but at least they did get married. I wonder how many balding, middle aged men on benefits attract a 20 something .......?

Nannanoo Mon 19-Sep-16 15:15:10

How can it possibly be prostitution if you're a nicely spoken, middle-class girl? Really! grin