Gransnet forums

Chat

Anybody else glad it's Autumn?

(187 Posts)
DaphneBroon Mon 19-Sep-16 11:19:54

Wore my white linen trousers for the last time this year yesterday. Somehow linens just don't feel right any more. I can stop pretending the weather might be nice enough for a barbecue or lunch out doors. I can stop getting fed up because I never really get a tan, largely because I now sit in the shade out of choice. My feet are not swelling up with a couple of hours of getting up. I can start making soups and stews again, no more salad with everything.
OK the darker evenings are a bore as the day is over so quickly, but on balance (as long as I don't think about the endless months of winter) I really like September!

wot Wed 28-Sep-16 17:43:22

But she weighs 41 kg

M0nica Wed 28-Sep-16 19:39:46

The animal to beware of is squirrels. Some got into our roof and ate through the burglar alarm wires at 2.00am. Fortunately the alarm only went off indoors so we had to sit in the kitchen with cushions over our ears for an hour and a half before the emergency repair man arrived to turn it off.

We couldn't see how they were getting into our roof, but our house is over 500 years old and was once part of the house next door, so I struggled into the loft area next to their house and discovered that there was no party wall and the squirrels were getting in through their roof. I also discovered that the little varmints had eaten the protective plastic coating off two metres of one of the electricity cables so we had to get an electrician pdq to replace it.

Installing a party wall was more complicated as we needed listed building consent, but the conservation officer agreed the lack of the party wall was a fire and security issue and gave us the go ahead very quickly.

Mistyville Wed 28-Sep-16 19:43:07

Nono - far too cold already. I need the sun and the heat

Wobblybits Wed 28-Sep-16 20:02:04

Lovely day today on Dunwich heath overlooking the sea, warm & sunny.

Greyduster Wed 28-Sep-16 20:11:38

DH was only saying on Sunday that we have never seen a squirrel all the time we've lived here - after reading the above I'm very thankful we don't have them!

Hippywitch64 Wed 28-Sep-16 20:21:26

Oh bring on winter love snow, we often get snowed in so no work yipee love frost have to say given how much rain Cumbria get i even love rain. Dark cosy nights lovely warming comfort food.????

rosesarered Wed 28-Sep-16 21:14:09

Put some sunflower heads in the tree for the birds to oeck the seeds from, and yes, this morning a little mouse was perched on a twig having a sunflower seed breakfast.I left it to it.?

M0nica Wed 28-Sep-16 22:31:31

I have fallen out of love with feeding birds. We have a lovely grape vine covered pergola close to the house and not far from the bird feeder.

In previous years we have had up to 50lbs of grapes off the vine. This year 3lbs. No lack of grapes, You can see the stalks of all the bunches of grapes that there were. It is just that the birds were eating them and as they will eat the grapes before they are really ripe enough for us. I was faced between picking all the grapes, unripe and inedible, or being beaten to them by the birds.

The problem is, that if I move the bird table, we cannot see it from the kitchen or living room, which rather defeats the purpose of having the feeders.

Like you Hippywitch I love the snow, frost and cold, but over the last few years there has been very little of any of them in Oxfordshire. Last winter was completely snow free

BlueBelle Thu 29-Sep-16 18:04:21

Wobbly bits are you in Suffolk I m just up the road from Dunwich

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 14:22:15

Storms beginning in the South Atlantic. The strongest hurricane for a decade whooshing towards the Caribbean.

merlotgran Thu 06-Oct-16 16:27:56

We've just lit the woodburner for the first time this autumn. I always try to hold out as far into October as possible but it's sooooooooo cosy once the evenings start drawing in.