Gransnet forums

Chat

Flipping opportunist scumbags!!

(35 Posts)
kittylester Thu 22-Sep-16 09:56:04

This morning DS1 had a hospital appointment at 9am. This meant me leaving the house at 7.45 to pick him up and drive through all the pesky traffic to get him there in time.

I went out to get in my car and discovered the contents of the glove box, door pockets and storage box all deposited on the front seat.

Having established that DH hadn't done it grin and the car hadn't actually been broken into, I realised that my car must have been left unlocked all night (DH drove it last!!) and someone must have come up the drive and tried the car doors. DH's car was intact.

It has really spooked me to think that someone was wandering the streets and hit upon my car and I'm wondering how often they had tried before.

Nothing was taken - not much call on the black market for The Wheels on The Bus CDs or bird indentification books. Just realised the binoculars have gone - wonder what the going price for national trust freebies is?

I'm blooming livid!!angry

POGS Thu 22-Sep-16 16:14:07

In January I went to the garage in the early hours of the morning with a box for a charity shop. I daft like put my tablet on the top to take upstairs. I had to put the box on our car bonnet to open the garage door and I put the tablet safely in the 'gully?' near the windscreen to stop it slipping off the top of the box as the bonnet sloped.

Box in garage, garage door shut, me off to bed, forgot all about tablet left overnight on the car. IDIOT!!

The tablet was nowhere to be found and I reported it to the police, just in case kids had messed about on the way to school or something oddly similar. We have a street light outside so it would have been noticeable I guess all night.

I found it in my front garden in 'August'! when we were cutting back a bush, somebody had smashed the screen and buried under the plum slate chippings. confused

Leicestershire air again Kitty grin

DaphneBroon Thu 22-Sep-16 16:26:08

One of the other ladies on my trip to Buckingham Palace last Wednesday was telling us how she had lost all her jewellery apart from what she was wearing, over the summer when there was a spate of petty burglaries in a neighbouring village. That night I determined to make sure all was locked up downstairs and was blushblush to find the sitting room patio doors not only unlocked but ajar, and what was worse, I remembered when and why they had been opened - the previous Sunday, when I had been trying to avoid a "grounded" young pigeon outside the other patio doors.
shock
I tend not to leave the car unlocked though.......

J52 Thu 22-Sep-16 16:38:26

How awful for you kitty I hope you get over the awful feeling soon. My car has been 'keyed' several times in a local car park. Why do people do it?

PRINTMISS Thu 22-Sep-16 16:48:42

One afternoon after work, my husband drove up, and parked outside our garage drive where a couple of his friends were standing talking to me, he joined in the conversation for about ten minutes, and when he returned to the car all four wheel covers were missing! It was a SAAB, and we were told by the police, that these were probably stolen to order and sold at the next car boot sale. The only folk we noticed passing by at the time were two young men who cheerfully said hello to us.

TwiceAsNice Thu 22-Sep-16 17:49:04

My friend and I went on holiday for a week and I left my car parked ( locked) on her drive as we were taking a taxi to the place we had to pick up a coach. One night her daughter heard a noise and realised someone had tried to break into both cars ( friends car also on drive). When they couldn't break in my car which as at the back was keyed really badly the whole length of the car. WHY! What is the matter with these people I worked hard to pay for that car.

annodomini Thu 22-Sep-16 17:56:34

I once left my car on the street while I attended a school governors' meeting. Came out and realised that the door had been tampered with and the lock broken. However, although it looked as if they intended to steal the car, the would-be thieves hadn't noticed it had an immobiliser. They tried ransacking the boot but found slim pickings there. I called the police and was given a crime number, but nothing came of it. Best guess was that a couple of the toerags from the school fancied a bit of joy-riding. I never felt comfortable in that car again and it wasn't long before I changed it.

numberplease Thu 22-Sep-16 18:34:20

A few months ago I was on the way into the garage to do some washing, I`d just unlocked the door when I heard the phone ringing. Left the key in the lock to go and answer the phone, went back 5 minutes later to find the key had gone. And the side door of the garage is in the yard and visible from the window, so they were blooming quick! We now have security cameras back and front, and a padlock on the garage door.

shysal Thu 22-Sep-16 19:38:00

How annoying for you kitty!
A few weeks ago I saw on TV some CCTV footage of a couple of women rolling up a newly turfed lawn and carrying it off down the road on foot. It took several journeys.

kittylester Thu 22-Sep-16 19:48:39

I've reported it to the police to make them aware and have had a couple of conversations with two lovely police ladies.